Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait don't shoot! I need to reload!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-08-18, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Methonius
Master Sergeant

Re: Warning, very unpopular opinion! Why kill-cam desperately needs to return

Why do I get the feeling that Rolfski had some friends try the game and they got roflstomped and complained about no killcam.
Old 2013-08-18, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Maidere
Sergeant

I'm for it, but not gonna happen. Most of the people think that sniping from the cliff = being tactical.
Old 2013-08-18, 12:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Maidere View Post
I'm for it, but not gonna happen. Most of the people think that sniping from the cliff = being tactical.
If you die and they survive, it is.

I'm defiantly not a good sniper and I do get a touch annoyed when sniped from far away but they can touch me and I can't touch them because sniping's not my strong point. A tactic be definition is the ability to take advantage of a situation or to put the enemy at a disadvantage. Next you'll complain that engineer turrets aren't tactical because it's camping on a spot and giving them an unfair advantage.

And I don't see how a killcam would be tactical since it would be a pure game mechanic and certainty not realistic in any way in the warzone. It's cheap and it's lazy and more people would rage quid because of it if it's added.

However, while playing ghost recon future soldier a wonderful idea occurred to me. UAV drones. Have it for engineers only (or perhaps infiltrators as well) and you have an eye in the sky (of course, you can't do anything else while using the drone). And of course, it can only move so far before the signal is lost (to prevent overpowered spying). So basically, you get a tiny target and can see from really high up (so unless you're the best sniper on earth or a hacker the chances of it getting shot from far away are slim). You can't see behind rocks in the distance but you can see the terrain from a first/3rd person perspective. People can look around yet cover is still used as an advantage (unless seen coming out of it by the UAV). Also you should be able to spot with the drone, but defiantly no weapons on it. That would be op.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-08-18 at 12:11 PM.
Old 2013-08-18, 12:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

hey people use silencer so you know people DO NOT detect them maybe to use tactics ? ; i don't care how much people will whine about weapons being OP this is not freaking call of duty.
Old 2013-08-18, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

The main problem I see is that sometimes you HAVE to camp to defend points A B and C. Those points inside buildings have to be camped when there's more enemy out there then there is of you inside the building. The only alternative is being outside and exposed.

For example, one time we were fighting NC and Vanu at an air tower. The Vanu had entrenched themselves at a point in a small building and they held it for a good while.

Our only real tactic at that point was to use LA to get on the roof and take them by surprise. With kill cam you take away that surprise once the first shot is fired. You see EXACTLY how many people are on the roof.

It's no better for the Vanu either. Once someone inside the building shoots you get a good view at the inside and can see any turrets that haven't been seen yet or how many maxes there might be or where mines might be.

Maneuverability is an important tactic. But so is digging in. You can't punish one and favor the other or the game becomes unbalanced.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-08-18 at 01:22 PM.
Old 2013-08-18, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
Manoeuvrability is an important tactic. But so is digging in. You can't punish one and favor the other or the game becomes unbalanced.
Kill-cam doesn't change the digging in mechanic in any negative way. It only provides info to newer payers on how points are typically defended. As an experienced squad charging in, you already know what to expect. You can actually use this kill-cam mechanic to your advantage, as both attacker and defender, by going a completely unexpected route.
Old 2013-08-18, 03:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
Kill-cam doesn't change the digging in mechanic in any negative way. It only provides info to newer payers on how points are typically defended. As an experienced squad charging in, you already know what to expect. You can actually use this kill-cam mechanic to your advantage, as both attacker and defender, by going a completely unexpected route.
There's a difference between expecting and knowing.
Old 2013-09-01, 10:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
Thunderhawk
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Wibble

*This post has as much sense as the original Topic.
Old 2013-09-01, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Wahooo
Captain

Funny how the counter to the examples of how kill cam information could be used by vets or those that have awareness is to show kill cam isn't needed.
Old 2013-09-03, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Rolfski
Major

Originally Posted by Wahooo View Post
Funny how the counter to the examples of how kill cam information could be used by vets or those that have awareness is to show kill cam isn't needed.
If anything, these examples show that the whole notice of OMG-vets-will-profit-more-than-newbs-and-kill-cam-will-ruin-the game is just a hypocrite, bloated myth, typically cultivated by short-sighted vets that in reality show no interest in new players at all, besides game mechanics increasing their edge on them so they can easier stomp them into the ground until this game becomes an inaccessible ghost town.

More instant, comprehensible and intuitive feedback about your failings is desperately needed in a game with such an increasingly steep learning and skill curve.
Kill-cam could be a very valuable tool for that but it should not be the only tool . Tons of other mechanics should (and will) be changed to make the game easier to get into, like: In-game mission system, more in-game tutorials, better target practising at VR, easier outfit recruiting, better stat system, better social tools etc.
Old 2013-09-03, 06:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Phantomdestiny
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Rolfski View Post
If anything, these examples show that the whole notice of OMG-vets-will-profit-more-than-newbs-and-kill-cam-will-ruin-the game is just a hypocrite, bloated myth, typically cultivated by short-sighted vets that in reality show no interest in new players at all, besides game mechanics increasing their edge on them so they can easier stomp them into the ground until this game becomes an inaccessible ghost town.

More instant, comprehensible and intuitive feedback about your failings is desperately needed in a game with such an increasingly steep learning and skill curve.
Kill-cam could be a very valuable tool for that but it should not be the only tool . Tons of other mechanics should (and will) be changed to make the game easier to get into, like: In-game mission system, more in-game tutorials, better target practising at VR, easier outfit recruiting, better stat system, better social tools etc.
look we are tired of hearing about kill cams okay , they hurt tactical outfits . i myself use a silencer (and so does the rest of my squad) .what's the point of it if someone can just see me after i killed him and then alert everyone of my squad's position. Kill cams give too much of an advantage and there is a good damn reason we asked to get rid of them in alpha seriously Rolfski enough is enough let's move on to something else because clearly most of us don't agree with you
Old 2013-09-03, 06:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
PredatorFour
Major

End thread.. don't post anymore.... put it on a boat and let it drift away whilst set on fire... Give this thread the burial it deserves... let it sail into obscurity into necroland...
Old 2013-08-18, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Maybe have a kill-cam from level 1-15? After which it disables permanently.
Old 2013-08-18, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Edfishy
Staff Sergeant

I've wondered about just having the spinnable enemy character model (while remaining 'pinned') replay the last 5 seconds of movements that lead to your demise.

So you cannot see *where* he was, but you might be able to see what he was doing. "Oh he was crouched and waiting for me apparently before he came out threw some C4 on me!".
Old 2013-08-18, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Ertwin
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Edfishy View Post
I've wondered about just having the spinnable enemy character model (while remaining 'pinned') replay the last 5 seconds of movements that lead to your demise.

So you cannot see *where* he was, but you might be able to see what he was doing. "Oh he was crouched and waiting for me apparently before he came out threw some C4 on me!".
That's actually a decent idea that has none of the flaws of a kill cam.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion