Feedback on Spotting for Higby - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Welcome to addiction!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-10, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Stadulator
Private

Re: Feedback on Spotting for Higby

Originally Posted by Artesia View Post
A. make spotting only spot for players nearby, doritos shouldn't show up for someone 1km away

B. make it temporary. If you haven't been spotted in several minutes or you travel far enough, you should have your dorito removed

C. If you fire a weapon it should attempt to auto-spot.

D. spotting should show squad mates direction.

All of the above could be certed/increased by cert ie increased spotting time/range
I like every one of these
Old 2013-01-10, 10:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Mordelicius
Major

Originally Posted by Helwyr View Post
It is broken.
Ok, please explain in detail how it is broken? I'm VERY sure Light Assaults want it removed so they can trololol sprint, jetpack, ninja kill, disappear on an on an on.

The units that stand to benefit the most from removing spotting:

- Light Assault
- Infiltrator
- Aircraft
- Sunderer

Units that will get hurt the most without spotting:
- Medic
- Engineers

Both are already free kills as it is. Sure, remove spotting. Remove Jet Packs and Stealth as well.
Old 2013-01-10, 10:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Beerbeer
Major

Higby sure has his priorities straight.

"Let's set top sail, don't worry about the hole on the starboard side of the ship, it's really not there."
Old 2013-01-10, 10:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
Very different conversation here on PSU than over on PS2. There it is a bunch of "Me Too" with remove it because i want to camp or it should only be Infiltrators.

This discussion came up during Beta. Tons of people were saying that it gives away too much. I notice that no one is talking about what it really is, why spotting is part of the game.

The invention of the Holographic Sight came about for military aircraft sights back in WW2. Over time it has progressed to being more and more accurate with more and more information. In the 70's it moved to being an active targetting reticle that not only showed range to the target but adding additional information about the target.

Current gen Vehicle Huds are amazingly detailed. They can pick out and highlight targets, have Friend or Foe identification down to the type of target it is.

All of this stuff is moving into Infantry combat too. Everything that you see on Game Huds for infantry they are putting into the Next Gen Military Uniforms. They are working on Wearable computers with HUD equipped Goggles that will show things like GPS information, Combat Information, Tactical Information, Targetting information... basically everything that we are seeing in the HUD that is in Game right now. The military sees this as completely necessary information to increase the capability and effectiveness of the soldier.

Why in the world would we want to go backwards? This game is set in a future where we have Nanite spawn tubes that regenerate your body, vehicles that are created on request in seconds, heck we have vehicles that can negate the effects of gravity!

So 3d Spotting is out of line? How? Half of the complaints of the game are talking about a lack of communication and coordination on the battlefield, and too many people are wanting to take us back to Battlefield 1942. I thought we were trying to make this game something more than that.

I have recently read a book series that involved big advances in power armor technology. It went in depth on the entire idea, theory and how to maximize the capabilities of personal HUD. Basically it went into detail on how a HUD computer system has the ability to totally overwhelm people in information it they are not trained to use it properly.

I would love to increase the capabilities of the 3D spotting system through Certs.

How about a cert that gives up shield generator for the ability to jam or trick the enemy HUD. Each level removes one more item, Range, Health, the Dorito color, the whole Dorito, and Stealth to Infrared.

Conversely, you can have a Cert that Counters this skill tree. SO if you are really interested in combatting the whole 3D spot thing you can invest in it with a trade off from your armor levels.

Right now you can buy Ski Goggles that have complete smart phone integration, Caller ID, MP3 control and info, GPS info with speed, direction, altitude, waypoints and turn by turn Navigation. They are only about $500! This is all current technology.

SO please before deciding to remove features from the game that actually contribute to the great gameplay, think about both sides.

I really hate that so many people think that the solution to a perceived problem is remove it!!
Being technologically accurate does not make good game play mechanics. Just because other games have done it in the past does not mean we should have it in our games in the future. Argument is irreverent because this is a video game for FUN. NOT a real life R&D project aimed at decimating opponents.
Old 2013-01-10, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Mordelicius View Post
Ok, please explain in detail how it is broken? I'm VERY sure Light Assaults want it removed so they can trololol sprint, jetpack, ninja kill, disappear on an on an on.

The units that stand to benefit the most from removing spotting:

- Light Assault
- Infiltrator
- Aircraft
- Sunderer

Units that will get hurt the most without spotting:
- Medic
- Engineers

Both are already free kills as it is. Sure, remove spotting. Remove Jet Packs and Stealth as well.
And LA and Infils are the most gimped classes out there currently. Sundies are pretty easy to track down by the team. Aircraft are massively visible to everyone already, if you need a little red triangle to see them your just blind.
Old 2013-01-10, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Sunrock
Major

Well this QQ threads about spotting was mad before the game was released too and they have not changed it yet. And there are no reason to change it.

If you think you die too mush because you get spotted then you're wrong, its not because your spotted it's because you suck.
Old 2013-01-10, 10:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
And LA and Infils are the most gimped classes out there currently. Sundies are pretty easy to track down by the team. Aircraft are massively visible to everyone already, if you need a little red triangle to see them your just blind.
Come on you can't come here and throw in infiltrators in the mix there regarding spotting. Every time an infiltrator is using his cloaking device he also removes any spot mark he might have on him and you can't spot a cloaked player.

Besides if you think LA and Infiltrators are gimped you need to learn how to play.
Old 2013-01-10, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Mordelicius View Post
Ok, please explain in detail how it is broken?
I already have. Planetside is supposed to be a game where player ability is what wins fights it's not meant to be a Sci Fi WoW.

Spotting in PS2 (and other mechanics like Radar) create mechanics that replace the need for player ability, it does the work for you. It's on the same level as an Aimbot, the Aimbot takes away your need as a player to be able to aim your weapon, spotting and radar takes away your need as a player to detect and identify enemy players.

Everyone has their gameplay preferences, heck a lot of people like games like WoW or games that require no player effort of skill whatsoever. It's not for me to tell you what to enjoy. But be under no illusions those of you that are saying spotting is great and should stay are on the side of making PS2 less about player skill.
Old 2013-01-10, 11:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Sunrock
Major

I already have. Planetside is supposed to be a game where player ability is what wins fights it's not meant to be a Sci Fi WoW.

Spotting in PS2 (and other mechanics like Radar) create mechanics that replace the need for player ability, it does the work for you. It's on the same level as an Aimbot, the Aimbot takes away your need as a player to be able to aim your weapon, spotting and radar takes away your need as a player to detect and identify enemy players.

Everyone has their gameplay preferences, heck a lot of people like games like WoW or games that require no player effort of skill whatsoever. It's not for me to tell you what to enjoy. But be under no illusions those of you that are saying spotting is great and should stay are on the side of making PS2 less about player skill.
This post deserves 5 for being that super extremely exaggeration.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-01-10 at 11:07 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 11:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Micro
Sergeant Major

As an infiltrator, when sniping, I just spam the 'Q'-key all the time. Especially at nights. Let's me know where the enemies are (if it's dark, and I can't see em').
Also, spottng aircraft qnd tanks gives you some XP when they're destroyed...

Last edited by Micro; 2013-01-10 at 11:07 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 11:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
This post deserves 5 for being that super extremely overexerting.
Here Sunrock for completely failing to refute what I said you can have all of these and a few of these

Last edited by Helwyr; 2013-01-10 at 11:11 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Its broken, completly.

Im just running around, always pressing Q. There is no downside, no reason not to spam Q all the time.

So, i say, Q needs to go away, completly. Let spotting be made by Infiltrators with their tool and vehicles with the radar thing. Give Galaxys a gigantic avacs like dish to spot in a large area.

That would be much more fun, and make stuff like flashlights and nightvision useful during the night again, as you cant just spot to see...
Old 2013-01-10, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Sunrock
Major

Here Sunrock for completely failing to refute what I said you can have all of these and a few of these
Really you think there is any argument needed to try to prove you wrong over what you sad? Do you also need prof that the earth is not flat too?

My god! You're one of the biggest troll I seen on this forum.
Old 2013-01-11, 12:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sunrock View Post
Really you think there is any argument needed to try to prove you wrong over what you sad? Do you also need prof that the earth is not flat too?

My god! You're one of the biggest troll I seen on this forum.
You haven't added anything to this thread beyond stamping your feet and telling other people they're wrong. Make a real reasoned argument, quit your denial that you want to take an aspect of player skill out of the game, or just admit it's you who's the troll here.
Old 2013-01-11, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
VGCS
Corporal

I used spotting CONSTANTLY. It's basically your only hope of subsidizing the horribly low Cert-per-Hour ratio that most Infiltrators have to settle for. Seeing someone start a thread just to put it down, makes me a saaaad cloaker.

Knowing Higby will never read this thread however makes me feel a little relieved however... Besides that, he already said at one point he had plans to give INFs a longer lasting "Spot" that broadcasts to the entire area. I'd call that a good first start but to really make it something that people like the OP would use... (hey I'm left handed too buddy! I don't make excuses, I make up my OWN CONTROL schemes and even use a Gamepad + Macros to overcome my "disadvantage" until I've got an even better setup than the Righties get).

...it definitely needs expansion of the following kinds of ideas:
  • Location target was spotted at becomes a "Red Dorito" that shows up THROUGH walls/terrain for other allies instead of just being a useless tiny dot on the minimap
  • ^Apply the same effect to the INF's dart gun while they're at it plz (but NOT to vehicle scout radar)
  • INFs and LA's who spot Aircraft, inflict a compounding decrease in Bullet/Turret Resistance those aircraft have making them more vulnerable to all ground based fire support.
  • Disable spotting for all Aircraft occupants that are using NV/Thermal since they already have too many advantages at that point as it is.
  • Double the lock-on speed for friendly Guided Rockets against any Vehicles spotted by an Infiltrator.
  • Lastly and requiring the most resources... Give INF's a Laser attachment for all their Rifles that causes all Dumbfire Rockets & Artillery to travel twice as fast when aimed at the Infiltrator's "Painted Target". (this is balanced by the fact that the Infiltrator is waving a hugemongous "HERE I AM" laser all over the battlefield. ...and make this completely REPLACE Smedley's awful skill-murdering plans of copying Orbital/Airstrikes from stupid ass C.O.D.

Maybe incorporate a lot of what Basti said as well... he makes a good argument.

Last edited by VGCS; 2013-01-11 at 12:41 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion