[Survey] Should the Playstation 4 version of PS2 support keyboard and mouse? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Batman is a stalker!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-07-04, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: [Survey] Should the Playstation 4 version of PS2 support keyboard and mouse?

I have no idea how that would work with aim assist. If it gives an unfair advantage over players with a controller then no I don't think it should support KBM.
If it doesn't then sure.

I guess I can see the possible interest in having PS4 KBM servers/version that could perhaps then play with PC players. I doubt there's enough interest for SOE to really consider it though.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-07-04 at 08:47 AM.
Old 2013-07-04, 03:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
phungus
Master Sergeant

Re: [Survey] Should the Playstation 4 version of PS2 support keyboard and mouse?

No.

That would be so unbalanced. As a player you have much, much more control with a mouse and keyboard. SOE would basically be handing out free hacks to keyboard and mouse users if they implemented that.
Old 2013-07-04, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
phungus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
If it gives an unfair advantage over players with a controller then no I don't think it should support KBM.
Come on man, you've played plenty of first person shooters on controllers and keyboard/mouse. "If" was not a necessary word to use, just think about your own experiences and how much easier it is to aim and how much more precision you have with a mouse and keyboard compared to a controller.

Honestly the notion is just ludicrous to me.
Old 2013-07-11, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

83 answers so far. Was hoping to collect 150, but I'll try to get it to at least 100 before publishing the results. So if you haven't answered yet, please do so!
Old 2013-07-11, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
blashyrk
Corporal

I believe it should.

If controller users feel it's unfair, nobody is stopping them to get adequate FPS gaming equipment.
It's like being angry about someone with a steering wheel for being a better driver when you're using a pilot stick to drive a car.
Old 2013-07-11, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Maidere
Sergeant

Originally Posted by blashyrk View Post
I believe it should.

If controller users feel it's unfair, nobody is stopping them to get adequate FPS gaming equipment.
It's like being angry about someone with a steering wheel for being a better driver when you're using a pilot stick to drive a car.
Adequate FPS gaming equipment for consoles is gamepad.
Anyway, Memeotis, I dont think PC uber race's answers will mean anything for the developers of the PS4 version of Planetside (when it doesnt affect the PC version). Especially now, when it's confirmed that cross-platform servers are not the case.

Last edited by Maidere; 2013-07-11 at 07:58 AM.
Old 2013-07-11, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
blashyrk
Corporal

Originally Posted by Maidere View Post
Adequate FPS gaming equipment for consoles is gamepad.
I disagree. But that is just my opinion.
Old 2013-07-11, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Crator
Major General

^ Ya blashyrk, you didn't know that it was scientific fact that you MUST use a gamepad on a console or you are gimping the entire reason why you are playing on a console? /sarcasm off
Old 2013-07-11, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

I believe it should.

It's not. What you're describing can only be translated into a situation whereby a person has chosen to use a gamepad on PC, making himself inferior by default and then complaining about it.

On the contrary, people playing using a KBM in a gamepad environment (console) is making himself superior.

The first scenario it is very reasonable to simply say 'fine, then change to KBM'. In the second scenario, you are telling the majority of people to change.
Old 2013-07-11, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #55
blashyrk
Corporal

Originally Posted by Memeotis View Post
It's not. What you're describing can only be translated into a situation whereby a person has chosen to use a gamepad on PC, making himself inferior by default and then complaining about it.

On the contrary, people playing using a KBM in a gamepad environment (console) is making himself superior.

The first scenario it is very reasonable to simply say 'fine, then change to KBM'. In the second scenario, you are telling the majority of people to change.
Which is again absolutely fine in my opinion. Nobody forces them to do so. Kbd and mouse are available for all who want to get them. They absolutely don't need to change anything if they don't want to. But bitching about kbd/mouse players being better while clinging on to the gamepad and forcing others to do the same is plain wrong IMO.

Like you said yourself, if people want to play FPS games on a PC with a gamepad - they can. While I absolutely agree (which is quite rhetorical in itself) that kbd/mouse players are going to be superior to gamepad users, it's by no means an unfair advantage.

The support for kbd/mouse on the next-gen consoles kinda supports my point by itself.

Also, a couple of days ago, Mortal Kombat Komplete was released on the PC. It has an online mode. I believe that 99% of the players play it with a gamepad (myself included). If I wanted to play it on keyboard, i'd be at a severe disadvantage, but that wouldn't mean I would be right if I started complaining about it now would it?
And gamepad is not adequate FPS equipment, not even on consoles, the same way keyboard is not adequate fighting game equipment even on the PC.

Last edited by blashyrk; 2013-07-11 at 09:19 AM.
Old 2013-07-15, 05:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #56
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...-mouse.136968/

I've posted the results on there.
Old 2013-07-15, 06:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Memeotis
Staff Sergeant

Which is again absolutely fine in my opinion. Nobody forces them to do so. Kbd and mouse are available for all who want to get them. They absolutely don't need to change anything if they don't want to. But bitching about kbd/mouse players being better while clinging on to the gamepad and forcing others to do the same is plain wrong IMO.

Like you said yourself, if people want to play FPS games on a PC with a gamepad - they can. While I absolutely agree (which is quite rhetorical in itself) that kbd/mouse players are going to be superior to gamepad users, it's by no means an unfair advantage.

The support for kbd/mouse on the next-gen consoles kinda supports my point by itself.

Also, a couple of days ago, Mortal Kombat Komplete was released on the PC. It has an online mode. I believe that 99% of the players play it with a gamepad (myself included). If I wanted to play it on keyboard, i'd be at a severe disadvantage, but that wouldn't mean I would be right if I started complaining about it now would it?
And gamepad is not adequate FPS equipment, not even on consoles, the same way keyboard is not adequate fighting game equipment even on the PC.
You're using an example where the game itself is closely tied to the input. Just like how the majority of players in flight simulators use a joystick. That's not the case with consoles; here the majority of players use a gamepad either because they really want to, or because it doesn't make sense for them to use a KBM - for which the reasons are numerous.

My personal reason is that I'm a university student with limited space, who needs a gaming platform that has a lot of social games (sports, racing, etc), and I have a laptop, so I never had to get a desk for a desktop.

Another person said he had come to prefer console because he had recently become a parent, and rather than confining himself to a desk in the corner, he was much more accessible by sitting in the center of the room.

My point is that there are several benefits to having a console, which may not be directly tied to the gaming experience itself. And because of this, I highly doubt that the majority of console players are simply gamers who can't afford an amazing gaming PC.

You will therefore be shafting a great number of players by allowing KBM use on all PS2 servers on the PS4. However, if you filter these players, and give gamepad-users the choice to play on servers that do not support KBM, then you can finally make the argument that playing with a KBM is a 'choice'
Old 2013-07-15, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

what I never understood is why people think differently for PC and console... to me they are basically the same. Would I sit on a couch and use my powerhouse desktop tied into a 69 in TV... fuck yeah.

Who cares if controllers are at a disadvantage, they do it willingly. And the idea that you need a keyboard to use a mouse is hilarious. Have you tried controller+mouse?

Old 2013-07-15, 08:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
PredatorFour
Major

Originally Posted by Baneblade View Post
what I never understood is why people think differently for PC and console... to me they are basically the same. Would I sit on a couch and use my powerhouse desktop tied into a 69 in TV... fuck yeah.

Who cares if controllers are at a disadvantage, they do it willingly. And the idea that you need a keyboard to use a mouse is hilarious. Have you tried controller+mouse?
Agree 100%. I'd go as far to say that the disadvantage controller users get is nowhere near as bad as the PC fanboys suggest. Turning up the sensitivity means you can react quick, nearly as quick as a key+mouse.

Another thing you have is that there is another accessory you can use with playstation. Move. So you have gamepad 'v' keyboard+ mouse 'v' move and pad...3 factors to think about not just 2. 3 options fps gamers on playstation can go out and buy quite easily. I have used move to play mag with and it's quite fun, like holding a mouse. (like pad +mouse)

Last edited by PredatorFour; 2013-07-15 at 08:53 AM.
Old 2013-07-15, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
wasdie
Second Lieutenant

I say no because of demographics. 99% of people on the consoles will play with a controller despite the option. This gives that 1% of people who want to set themselves up a setup that uses a mouse and keyboard (it's a bit more difficult than just putting a keyboard in your lap and your mouse on an endtable) a straight up advantage.

When you consider the more casual nature of F2P gamers and console gamers, that small percentage of hardcore guys who want to play competitively could really upset the balance.

Too keep it fair I say they just should have a controller and not support keyboard and mouse. Just because it's optional doesn't make it fair. People don't buy consoles so they have to plug in a keyboard and mouse and hunch over some sort of a desk or table just to play and have fun.

If you really want to play Planetside 2 with a keyboard and mouse, you should take that money you would buy a PS4 with and invest into a PC.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion