Vehicle Seats Question - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: ate my homework.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-04-09, 07:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Hark
Private

Re: Vehicle Seats Question

Imo, even if the pilot can also shot, it will obviously be less effective than a real gunner aiming with an auxiliary cannon. Plus, I believe that the cannon used by the pilot can't rotate in a 360° angle.
Old 2012-04-09, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Vehicle question

Originally Posted by BREWKO View Post
You can switch seats using the Function Keys, though some vehicles/seats may have certain restrictions on them.
Please do not add this cheesy element.

Keep it like the original. Not only is it a copy-pasta, it removes the window for cloakers. You played the original, you should know this.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-04-09 at 08:56 AM.
Old 2012-04-09, 09:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #48
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Look, I am all for the old PS1 mechanic when it comes to MBT's and such. I want it to be that very badly. But if we have to go with this watered down version of being able to hop in and out of a tank with no animations or have the ability to swap to seats at will. I truly believe there needs to be a timer on it. So if I swap to the gunner seat there needs to be a 5 second delay.

Otherwise bring back dedicated drivers and gunners.

Old 2012-04-12, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Well, I'm not a fan of being able to hop out and repair; I would rather that you had to return to a repair pad. Which by the way could be another function of Forward Bases.
Ps1 Had both, including having others do it for you ( TEAMWORK ) No re-spawning inside a tank, what the hell. You died, you lost that Vech. Sad part is the cloaker can't hack it (PS2). I suppose this is so no ones feelings are hurt.

We really need animations back, and kill this Function key switching. This is just a nurf to cloaker windows of opportunity, And its sad.

BF players just need to adapt.

Last edited by MrBloodworth; 2012-04-12 at 10:48 AM.
Old 2012-04-12, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Gonefshn
Contributor
Major

I agree with all who have spoken about having a timer that counts down before you can access a weapon after you switch seats. It is simple, it addresses the issue. Honestly if that is how it works then I am not concerned.

Also I am surprised no one has really mentioned the fact that Higby has spoken directly about allowing players to cert into being dedicated drivers and gunners. Meaning you could configure your Mag/Prowler/Vangaurd so that your gunner gets the cannon and you simply drive, just like the original game.

This isn't in the current build of the game but if you watch recent interviews, it really seems like they are taking that option seriously. From what they have said I am basically positive they will be including that feature. Annoyingly to anyone who played the old game it won't get rid of the 1 man tank armadas but I won't really care because I will be busy crushing them driving my Magrider with a dedicated gunner. Devs better add this seriously.
Old 2012-04-12, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Gonefshn View Post
Also I am surprised no one has really mentioned the fact that Higby has spoken directly about allowing players to cert into being dedicated drivers and gunners. Meaning you could configure your Mag/Prowler/Vangaurd so that your gunner gets the cannon and you simply drive, just like the original game.
Should be the other way around. A common design point seems to be "Remove reliance on others". So, I don't think it will happen.
Old 2012-04-12, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
Should be the other way around. A common design point seems to be "Remove reliance on others". So, I don't think it will happen.
Its already been confirmed for there to be dedicated gunners.
Old 2012-04-12, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Its already been confirmed for there to be dedicated gunners.
I refer to it being the other way around. You must Cert to Drive/gun. Instead of the current, you have to cert to have a dedicated gunner.
Old 2012-04-12, 12:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
ArcIyte
Sergeant

I really like Battlefield, but instant vehicle enter/exit and instant seat swapping is shallow and doesn't belong in a game like Planetside

WWW.ENCLAVEOILRIG.COM
Old 2012-04-12, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Bonius
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ArcIyte View Post
I really like Battlefield, but instant vehicle enter/exit and instant seat swapping is shallow and doesn't belong in a game like Planetside
I wholeheartedly disagree. Dev's have stated that there will be a startup-time of sorts for the vehicles in the game, this is way better than enter/exit animations for vehicles.

Animations add immersion, but in the end it's only 2.5 seconds of dodgy eyecandy before you end up in a piloting HUD anyway. They were cool the first 20 times, but after that it just got a bit too much.

EDIT: Some form of limitation between seat-switching is needed though, to prevent single-seated libs (to name one).

Last edited by Bonius; 2012-04-12 at 12:26 PM.
Old 2012-04-12, 02:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Bonius View Post
Animations add immersion, but in the end it's only 2.5 seconds of dodgy eyecandy before you end up in a piloting HUD anyway. They were cool the first 20 times, but after that it just got a bit too much.
I don't follow the logic of this. I mean you could say the same thing about reloading animations, right? As long as the delay before you can fire again is there it wouldn't be unbalanced if there was just a progress bar in the middle of your screen.

It's just polish, but polish can be the difference between an experience that's technically functional and an experience that pulls in anyone who tries it.
Old 2012-04-12, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Metalmoura
Private

Doubt this means much, but i fully agree with you blackwolf, i for one am very upset to see these single manned and versatile MBT. Multi-manned tanks like in PS1, enforced more team work. It made you want to find friend or platoons that you might work well with because you couldn't always rely on randoms as a main gunner. If you saw people in MBT doing well they probably had practice working together before, and now that the game will implement voice chat it would be much easier to work with gunners in your vehicles. it just seems like a step back to me.
Old 2012-04-12, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Saintlycow
Sergeant Major

If this must be allowed, at least implement a delay in the time you can start to act. A sort of spool up time.
Old 2012-04-12, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
kertvon
Sergeant

Edit: error posting, reposted.

Last edited by kertvon; 2012-04-12 at 11:58 PM.
Old 2012-04-12, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
A common design point seems to be "Remove reliance on others".
Really now? Because the devs say differently.

(From Josh Sanchez)
5) What makes the PlanetSide 2 combat system unique? Can you provide any strategic tips?

PlanetSide 2 will have mixed infantry and vehicle combat on a massive scale. The players who coordinate the two will always have an advantage in a fight over those who don't.
Removing reliance on others you claim, eh? Sounds like teamwork is being designed to be rewarded with success to me.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion