Galaxies set to launch this month - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: It's a bird! It's a plane! It crashed into a lake! IT'S HAMMA!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2003-06-18, 10:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #46
Onizuka
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by OneManArmy
wow, tekdragon is an asshole.....
man i see you online a lot
Old 2003-06-18, 10:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #47
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

yea.. thats what happens when you don't have a life

**edit** speaking of, holy shit I'm a 1337 whore and I didn't even know it, must of just happend.... I've definatly got to get out more....
Old 2003-06-18, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
TekDragon
Contributor

*sigh* ok, apparently half the people read and didnt comprehend. The other half simply didnt read.

Warborn, it was a nice reply but your fanboyism permeated into it and you went off topic a number of times and flamed me on shit i never said (you just imagined i said it, i guess).

However, to say that PS doesn't take a lot of bandwidth to run is ignorant at best
hahaha Apparently you dont know much about how servers and multiplayer gaming works. Bandwitdth is only needed when your transfering information between the client and the server. In a MMORPG there is TONS of information that has to be sent back and forth. Every NPC or charachter that comes onto your screen has to be sent. Every house or weapon laying in the dirt has to be sent.

SOE has stated (and prided themselves) on the fact that theyre coding requires very little bandwitdth. They send out only a tiny amount of information because, quite frankly, this game doesnt have alot of stuff that needs to be sent back and forth. No hit detections, no player databases, no NPCs, none of that.

SOE even went so far as to say they were coding the game so that it would work just as well for 56k users as it would for high ping. That further shows just how little they intend to put into their bandwitdth bill.

FINALLY: even if SOE DID decide to dump a ton of money into bandwitdth you need to realize something War. Bandwitdth is cheap as dirt when you get to the higher levels.

Now that you got what i was referring to when i said bandwitdh, lemme get into the two other main points: salary for dev staff and paying the server bill.

The server stuff i went into in-depth in the other post. Im gonna assume you understood it cause you didnt touch the subject.

But, the subscription fee isn't spent entirely on that. The live team which is used to keep PS updated and functioning smoothly also needs to be paid
My whole point was that for a MM game this dev team is pathetically small (or just spent all their time high/drunk). What exactly HAS the dev team been doing? This game has been under design for THREE YEARS and all they have to show for it is an engine and a handfull of shit content that any coder could put into a game in a month.

FIVE fucking base designs for a game focused ENTIRELY on capping bases!! Hello? LESS than 2 dozen weapons spread over THREE factions in a game BASED on killing people. Only THREE futuristic weapons (beamer is a POS and doesnt count) in a game which is supposed to take place a thousand years in the future. TWO empire specific tanks in a game where they expect armor vs armor battles to be key.

To sum this all up for people who dont have 4th grade reading skills:

1. This game has almost no content (by content I mean weapons, base designs, vehicles, misc skills, etc).
2. This game uses 1/100 (an overestimate im sure, but i like being safe) of the server space and processing power of games like EQ, AC2 and SWG.
3. This game was coded and designed so that it would use as little bandwitdth as possible (which gets dirt cheap at high levels anyway so its a mutet point at best)

So what are you paying $13 for War?

You paying $13 for server space that runs a tiny fraction of what other servers cost? You paying $13 for devs salaries that have put a pahetic amount of content into the game? You paying $13 cause... oh wait, thats all i can think of.

Lets face it War. This game takes a fraction of the money to develop and keep running as a MMORPG does. Despite that, they shafting you for the same cost.

wow, tekdragon is an asshole.....
Wow, coming from a pathetic spammer that must be high praise? Just how many hours did it take you to get to l33t whore? I know for a fact ive been here months longer than Oni and hes already spammed his 7th grade ass up to Admiral.

Just because I dont think this game is worth $200 a year doesnt mean im being an "ass hole". It just means i think the devs should either give us content that deserves $200 a year, or lower the price.

Last edited by TekDragon; 2003-06-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 2003-06-18, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

well, your opinion differs from mine, therfore you are an asshole.
Old 2003-06-18, 01:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Robot
Major

Originally posted by TekDragon
Every NPC or charachter that comes onto your screen has to be sent. Every house or weapon laying in the dirt has to be sent.
aren't all of the hits calculated clientside in ps?

and there are still weapons and ammo in the dirt, ps is not exempt from this magical bandwidth rule

SOE has stated (and prided themselves) on the fact that theyre coding requires very little bandwitdth. They send out only a tiny amount of information because, quite frankly, this game doesnt have alot of stuff that needs to be sent back and forth. No hit detections, no player databases, no NPCs, none of that.
No player databases? how do you keep your characters? the magical computer fairy?

there are no body hit detections (specific body parts) but there are hit detections, and they do take a lot of bandwidth. (that's why they had to remove body hit detection.)

no, it does not have npcs or anything like that, but the fact is, it has PLENTY of other things that take up bandwidth to replace the normal loot weapons kill monsters everquest thing.

SOE even went so far as to say they were coding the game so that it would work just as well for 56k users as it would for high ping. That further shows just how little they intend to put into their bandwitdth bill.
wouldn't a 56k connection take more bandwidth, as it strains harder on the connection to pass through at the same speed?

FINALLY: even if SOE DID decide to dump a ton of money into bandwitdth you need to realize something War. Bandwitdth is cheap as dirt when you get to the higher levels.
do you have their exact bandwidth costs?

My whole point was that for a MM game this dev team is pathetically small (or just spent all their time high/drunk). What exactly HAS the dev team been doing? This game has been under design for THREE YEARS and all they have to show for it is an engine and a handfull of shit content that any coder could put into a game in a month.
Yeah, because, y'know, you can now write complex game engines with impressive vehicle physics in 5 months entirely from scratch

Please go and find a coder and get him to design a game exactly like planetside, bug free, in 5 months, then

FIVE fucking base designs for a game focused ENTIRELY on capping bases!! Hello? LESS than 2 dozen weapons spread over THREE factions in a game BASED on killing people. Only THREE futuristic weapons (beamer is a POS and doesnt count) in a game which is supposed to take place a thousand years in the future. TWO empire specific tanks in a game where they expect armor vs armor battles to be key.
a) Level design, gasp, DOES take a long time to actually do. it isn't just, "hey guys, sit down and make a temple"

b) weapons do, infact, take time to code. there's no magical template for making a new machine gun, and you'd probably complain that all of the weapons are the same if they did that

d) all of the weapons are futuristic. just because something doesn't fire light bolts, it doesn't not make it futuristic. (portable chaingun? hello?)

1. This game has almost no content (by content I mean weapons, base designs, vehicles, misc skills, etc).
2. This game uses 1/100 (an overestimate im sure, but i like being safe) of the server space and processing power of games like EQ, AC2 and SWG.
3. This game was coded and designed so that it would use as little bandwitdth as possible (which gets dirt cheap at high levels anyway so its a mutet point at best)
1. "Less than two dozen weapons" doesn't amount to content? That's two dozen weapons. 24 minus some. you didn't learn math, did you?

base designs? the whole point is on capturing bases, not looking at the pretty designs.

vehicles? i don't know if you've checked, but there's a modicum of different vehicles sitting in the launch pad.

misc. skills? that's horribly broad. there's a wide range of implants and medical etc. certificates, if that's what you mean

2. again: you have NO idea of the bandwidth costs. you're trying to cover up your obvious lack of knowledge with smoke and mirrors. unless you can magically show me the figures.

3. it was coded that way, yeah; that's not to say it doesn't use up a lot of bandwidth, dude.

Just because I dont think this game is worth $200 a year doesnt mean im being an "ass hole". It just means i think the devs should either give us content that deserves $200 a year, or lower the price.
guy, i just don't think it's a good idea to be saying that we're stupid for paying $200 for "no content" when you're actively praising sw:g.

(edit: i shortened it a bit on things i just repeated)

Last edited by Robot; 2003-06-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 2003-06-18, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
OneManArmy
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I know we all read P to the A but it bears posting

Star Wars Galaxies

Wed, June 18 2003 - 8:29 AM
by: Gabe

I have gotten a few mails from people asking how they will be able to meet up with me in Star Wars Galaxies when it ships next week. The quick answer is you won�t. See, I�m not actually gonna get it. Not right away at any rate. I can�t really talk about why right now, I may make another post once the game ships. There is a good chance I�ll pick it up when player owned vehicles come around or I might just wait and take another look at it when the space expansion launches. Either way you won�t be seeing me in the game anytime soon. I apologize if this puts a damper on your galaxies fun. Don�t worry though, you�ll be having so much fun running for hours between towns that you won�t even notice I�m missing.
Old 2003-06-18, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
TekDragon
Contributor

Robot. Whatever dude. You can ignore everything i say and focus on the tiniest shit, thats fine.

If you honestly think that the PS player databases take up more than a tiny fraction of what it takes to store a MMRPG charachter, your an idiot.

If you honestly think that the tiny amount of information (players and weapons) can compare to the hundreds of NPCs, AI scripting, houses, cities, resources, decay, etc, etc, etc that have to be sent back and forth between client and server in a MMORPG... your an idiot.

If you honestly think that by catering to 56k users instead of high speed users that it takes MORE processing power and MORE bandwitdth... your an idiot.

If you honestly think that making a base design ("hey guys lets make a temple" as you put it) takes more than a few hours of work... your an idiot.

If you honestly think that having a halfdozen variants of a damned machine gun and only 3 inspirational weapons in a game supposed to set 1000 years in the future is "fine" then... your an idiot.

If you honestly think that the handful of crap they gave us at release is worth 50$ just because they made their own engiine.. your an idiot.

If you honestly believe that the content weve gotten added to the game so far (oooh, i loved those 2 pencil sketch pictures) is worth an additional $13 a month... your an idiot.

Just my opinion. I dont like getting shafted up the ass, maybe you do.
Old 2003-06-18, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Robot
Major

If you honestly think that the PS player databases take up more than a tiny fraction of what it takes to store a MMRPG charachter, your an idiot.
what, and you do? did you take economics 101 or something?

If you honestly think that the tiny amount of information (players and weapons) can compare to the hundreds of NPCs, AI scripting, houses, cities, resources, decay, etc, etc, etc that have to be sent back and forth between client and server in a MMORPG... your an idiot.
realistic physics scripting and detection takes up faaaaar more bandwidth than ai scripting. houses and cities are replaced by sanctuaries and bases/towers. resources are measured by ntu's. i don't see your point.

If you honestly think that by catering to 56k users instead of high speed users that it takes MORE processing power and MORE bandwitdth... your an idiot.
you're sidestepping the question instead of actually correcting me. you're becoming a straw man, fast.

If you honestly think that making a base design ("hey guys lets make a temple" as you put it) takes more than a few hours of work... your an idiot.
making it fair and balanced for the player? making it challenging? adding in where all of the terminals will go? that doesn't require more than, "a few hours of work?"

If you honestly think that having a halfdozen variants of a damned machine gun and only 3 inspirational weapons in a game supposed to set 1000 years in the future is "fine" then... your an idiot.
what were you expecting besides assault rifles and shotguns? some sort of fantastic new weapon system? all of the futuristic weapons are based off of their modern day equivalent. you're basically expecting them to be computer fairies, again

If you honestly think that the handful of crap they gave us at release is worth 50$ just because they made their own engiine.. your an idiot.
i wonder where i said that

oh, i didn't.

If you honestly believe that the content weve gotten added to the game so far (oooh, i loved those 2 pencil sketch pictures) is worth an additional $13 a month... your an idiot.
i don't think paying $13 for everquest is worth getting an additional zone maybe once or twice every year. i see that this now makes me stupid. thank you for opening my eyes!

and, really, i don't think i can trust that i'm an idiot from a guy who can't even use, "your" and, "you're" in the correct context. my an idiot.
Old 2003-06-18, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Hamma
PSU Admin

This thread sucks now.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2003-06-18, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Warborn, it was a nice reply but your fanboyism permeated into it and you went off topic a number of times and flamed me on shit i never said (you just imagined i said it, i guess).
Ok, first thing, the only thing I am a fanboy of is World of Warcraft. I enjoy PS a lot and understand the necessity for a monthly fee, but that doesn't mean I'm a fanboy. My opinion simply differs from your own.

As for the rest, I'm not going to bother. When you make a comment saying that the dev team must either be pathetically small or spending most of their time getting high/drunk, it's pretty obvious that you're not here to discuss anything. You're here to be upset.

Originally posted by Hamma
This thread sucks now.
Quoted for emphasis.

Also,

Gabe:
Don�t worry though, you�ll be having so much fun running for hours between towns that you won�t even notice I�m missing.
Heh!

Last edited by Warborn; 2003-06-18 at 04:25 PM.
Old 2003-06-18, 04:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Robot
Major

Originally posted by Hamma
This thread sucks now.
i just had a coca cola, and i think my bladder is about to explode

he;pl
Old 2003-06-18, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Frankly, I'm suprised that you guys still respond to TekDragon. Are we all suddenly forum newbs again?
Old 2003-06-18, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
TekDragon
Contributor

Thats pretty fuckin ironic comin from you Airlift.

I just like how no one can ever tell me why PS deserves a $50 box price and $13 a month besides the following:

1. Duh, they made thier own engine! Thats like.. incredible! Game developers should get, like, mad extra props for that!
2. Five bases and a handful of crap weapons qualifies as "extreme" content that obviously took up many years worth of coding to put in.
3. YOU SUCK!

Sadly it seems to be number 3 is the most prevalent reason. Robot im not talkin about you. Im speakin to that spam/flamer Airlift. Your a little bitch.
Old 2003-06-18, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

Somebody sure seems to want a lift on the ban wagon. Ease up man, it's the internet.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-06-18, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
TekDragon
Contributor

Nah Nav. I just get sick of the little **** running around here who dont understand the meaning of "constructive critisism" and whos idea of making a counter-point is to pop up and flame the other person.

Too many ass-hats around here. Airlift aint the only one.

BTW: i love your sig pic with rumsfield and the noobie. Do you have an original pic of that without the Bohica pic on it? Just rummy and the quote w the hat? Id like to pop it on my website (w full props to you guys)
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge