Contributor
Custom Title

There is no spoon.
Old 2003-01-23, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Navaron
Contributor
Major General

There is no spam. Wait, yes there is.

Vist www.bohicagaming.com because we're better than you.
Apply|Contact|Forum
Old 2003-01-23, 03:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

Overall a good discusion of relativaty and time dilation, but not so good when it comes to the traveling back in time portion.

Travel forward in time Yes. Travel back in time no.

Originally posted by Tobias
When tachyons exist, we can send messages back in time. Another example: Sean leaves at 10 am at 80% of light speed while Jodie stays at home. At noon, exactly at 12 am Jodie sends a message by using tachyons at 4c. Sean receives the message at 12.30 am earth time, but for him, it's 11.30 am. Only 1 1/2 h (3/2h = 12/8h) passed because of the time-bending factor of 0,6. According to Sean there's a distance of 0,8 . 1 1/2h = 1,2 light hours between him and Jodie. When Sean answers with a signal that travels at 4c in his reference system without delay, then the signal will do 22 1/2 minutes (3/8 hour) on that trip. The total travel time of the first and second signal together have taken 15/8 (12/8 + 3/8) hour according to him. We need to use the time-bending factor to calculate Jodie's feeling of time: 15/8h . 0,6 = 9/8h. On earth it's 11.07 1/2 am, that's 52 1/2 minutes before the departure of the original signal! So if tachyons exist and we could manipulate them, we could send messages to the past, but not persons, 'cause the matter we're made of can't travel faster than light.
There is something not right about this example. I can't remeber why. I have to think about it some more and get back to you.

I failed to see how travel through a worm hole (4th dimensional travel) would allow you to travel back in time. I see it shortening the distance you need to travel to get somewhere. Also 4th dimensional travel does not necessarily mean that a great deal of shortening. The only way that a huge benefit would be gained from 4th dimensional travel is if the correct 4th dimensional model of the universe is the one that is a sphere.

As far as Mallets circle of light, he is off his rocker. He uses a bit of Einsteinian physics and then makes giant unfounded leaps in his theories. Slowing down light in a Einstein-Bosen Condensate has many other interesting implications but it has to do with being able to freeze the information that the light is carrying and release it at a later time or different place. (This would be the technology involved with teleportation)

As far as the black holes allowing for travel back through time travel that is wrong too. The trampoline example might be a bit deceptive. Allow me to explain. As you move into greater and greater gravitational fields time moves slower for you but the world around you is traveling at a faster speed. When you emerge from the gravitational field you have gone into the future. The greater the gravitational field, the faster you have moved into the future not the other way around.

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-01-23, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Yuyi
Roxxor your Boxxorz

Originally posted by {BOHICA}Navaron
There is no spam. Wait, yes there is.
Old 2003-01-23, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
RabidPlatypus
Sergeant

looking into the future is impossible

thread over
Old 2003-01-23, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
chaos1428
Master Sergeant

*sigh* such a simple mind
Old 2003-01-23, 04:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
RabidPlatypus
Sergeant

it is impossible

considering the future hasn't happened yet....any super omg so smart scientist will tell you that.

oh yeah and nostradamus is a bunch of generalized bullshit. He may have said some stuff that seems like predictions, but the sheer amount of false predictions he made shows it was just blind guessing.
Old 2003-01-23, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
�io
Lieutenant General

Is there truly clairvoyants among us? Unlikely

Is it impossible to see in the future? No, unless you have no faith.
Old 2003-01-23, 06:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
RabidPlatypus
Sergeant

If you believed in faith then you would believe mortals could not see into the future.
Old 2003-01-23, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
�io
Lieutenant General

I never said anything about mortals seeing in the future i just said that seeing the future isn't impossible if you have faith, never said who or what was doing the "seeing".

Personally i'm 50/50, on the one hand i have to believe that eventually (if we don't kill each other off) we will become VERY technologically and spirtually advanced and there's a lot of things we can't currently explain, however as said the future doesn't really exist, to believe it does is to believe our paths are already prerecorded and that is something i refuse to believe.
Old 2003-01-23, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Diego
First Sergeant

Originally posted by Unregistered
There is no spoon.
_______
| |
=====| |
| |

That count?
Old 2003-01-23, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
chaos1428
Master Sergeant

don't be bringing no religious crap in here, Platypus. Beleive what you want. I aint gonna tell you you're wrong. So, in turn, don't tell me, or anyone else that they're wrong, basied simply on what you beleive. Sounds alot like Nazi talkto me, (no I'm not calling you a Nazi, back off) One's way, isn't always the best way. Best you remember that.
Old 2003-01-23, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Lexington_Steele
Lieutenant Colonel

The only kink in the idea of not being able to see in the future is how does science explain that De javu feeling?

Sit Back, Relax, and Enjoy the Action.
Old 2003-01-23, 06:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
RabidPlatypus
Sergeant

uhhhh I was just responded to Dio's post about faith...

if you believe we have the technology to look into the future (i'm not saying the past is impossible) then you do,like Dio said, believe in fate. Now I am going to ask you, how is it in anyway possible to see this "fate"
Old 2003-01-23, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
�io
Lieutenant General

Originally posted by Lexington_Steele
The only kink in the idea of not being able to see in the future is how does science explain that De javu feeling?
Oohh crap strike a blow for my believing in clairvoyancy side, i do get eerily presice deja vu a lot...

Ok so i guess i'm like 55%believe/45%don't now.