Anyone else think this must be a joke? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: PSU: SEE! I told you it is still here!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-14, 04:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Re: Anyone else think this must be a joke?

nothing...it was sarcasm. As in why stop at boycotting headshots...lets petition to keep CSHD and everything else that was terrible about PS1.
Old 2011-07-14, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Well, you think its bad to not have headshots, i think its bad do have them. It depens on your point of view, as it really is fun just nuking those noobs in the face, one after another. But i just fear that this could cause the noob to get extremly frustrated.

Lets leave this here, we all just shared our opinions often enough. Heck, we have several threads about this.

We have to see ourself, and we will.
Old 2011-07-14, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Negative Nancy here won't be happy unless it's PlanetSide 1 reskinned. Seriously dude a slap in the face? The game needs to compete with modern FPSs and retain the PlanetSide Feel if they want it to be a success.
You seem to be misunderstanding me greatly lately no offense. I do not want a "reskined Planetside 1" I want a Sequel To one of the greatest Teamwork over self FPS games ever made.

I've even made suggestions that would be more modern yet wouldn't add to "Self" such as finishing moves in the Max Melee thread.

The fact is. Planetside is about teamwork, tactics, and strategy Planetside should worry more about competing with things like ArmA, flashpoint, etc much more then "generic drool cup twitch shooter number 20."
Old 2011-07-14, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Forsaken One View Post
The fact is. Planetside is about teamwork, tactics, and strategy Planetside should worry more about competing with things like ArmA, flashpoint, etc much more then "generic drool cup twitch shooter number 20."
The great thing about Planetside is that for the numbers of different players we are talking about, it's a place for all kinds of gameplay. Bring the ArmA people, bring the COD people, and lets all have a huge war.
Old 2011-07-14, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
The great thing about Planetside is that for the numbers of different players we are talking about, it's a place for all kinds of gameplay. Bring the ArmA people, bring the COD people, and lets all have a huge war.
Indeed. As long as we can get the COD people to play together with us and follow a general leadership, while having the arma people doing the dirty jobs, we will have fun. After all, we had those killwhores in Planetside just as much as we had the Outfits.
Old 2011-07-14, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
ShowNoMercy
Corporal

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
What? Chainguns get a 0% bonus, which means same damage on the entire hitbox. Not that hard to understand.. You are also using theoretical damage amounts.. but ok.

Regardless of any of this I don't see headshots as a problem. As long as it's balanced well and they listen to the community during testing.
I agree, the HS on an MCG wont make much of a difference since they are going to be faster pace kills. Either way will be fine in regards to the MCG. However, just reading over some other posts it seems that the OSOK sniper rifles may not be very fun.

If you think about CoD for instance, there is really no place you can camp without having your back or sides exposed, not to mention in many of the game modes there is random spawning around the map. PS doesnt have that luxury, you have to spawn FROM somewhere (or now onto someone, even then drop pod = obvious). I suppose I am trying to get at that snipers may be far more likely to flank people since they know where they are spawning from and can 1 shot them (thinking camping vpad).

Also a valid point about not being able to change game rooms. I get frustrated easily and getting killed repeatedly is dangerous to everything breakable around me. I love playing medic, and the idea of getting my head popped like a zit when im trying to rez people isnt fun.
Old 2011-07-14, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rarntogo View Post
Tried BF2, didnt care for it. Are these Youtube vids of sniper carnage we see the norm out there or in reality just a select few showing off? I'm just curious.
All those videos are showing off. They are highlight reels. They show the nifty stuff, the awesome(lucky) shots.They don't show the thousand times they missed completely or had their ass handed to them. Granted, many of those players ARE good, but there aren't people pegging shot after shot from across the map.

I've played hundreds of hours of bad company 2 by now. Its sniper rifles are osok headshots. Within 10m, they are osok body shots. They aren't omnipresent, because they are, despite their power, rather poor CQC and mid range weapons, and have a huge risk at closer ranges.. you miss, you die. Which is frequent. Other infantry weapons will easily win a firefight if you don't hit that perfect headshot.
Old 2011-07-14, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
GTGD
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
All those videos are showing off. They are highlight reels. They show the nifty stuff, the awesome(lucky) shots.They don't show the thousand times they missed completely or had their ass handed to them. Granted, many of those players ARE good, but there aren't people pegging shot after shot from across the map.

I've played hundreds of hours of bad company 2 by now. Its sniper rifles are osok headshots. Within 10m, they are osok body shots. They aren't omnipresent, because they are, despite their power, rather poor CQC and mid range weapons, and have a huge risk at closer ranges.. you miss, you die. Which is frequent. Other infantry weapons will easily win a firefight if you don't hit that perfect headshot.
I think the BFBC2 sniping system is the most satisfying and balanced of all FPS. You need to lead, adjust for bullet drop, and hit in the right areas in order to successfully one shot kill an opponent. So long as the Bolt Driver is kept as is ( one shot with a lengthly reload, and a cone of fire that doesn't stop going crazy until you stop moving the crosshair) it should be a perfect way to do it.
Old 2011-07-14, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Bags
Lieutenant General

Yeah, as long as it has bullet drop it shouldn't be too bad.

Current sniping in PS would be way too easy with HS OSOK tho.
Old 2011-07-14, 10:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

The most accurate weapon having the most retarded CoF design is bullshit and was the one thing above everything else I loathed about PS1. Strafing to lead shouldn't be necessary for a sniper.

Old 2011-07-14, 10:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
I think the BFBC2 sniping system is the most satisfying and balanced of all FPS. You need to lead, adjust for bullet drop, and hit in the right areas in order to successfully one shot kill an opponent. So long as the Bolt Driver is kept as is ( one shot with a lengthly reload, and a cone of fire that doesn't stop going crazy until you stop moving the crosshair) it should be a perfect way to do it.
I feel the same way about BC2 sniping. While usless in Rush or pretty much all other game modes, getting those extreme long range headshots, especially on moving targets or other snipers, after taking that little time to line up your shot and account for the bullet drop was very satisfying.

If sniping in PS2 is handled in a similar fashion, it wont be as detrimental to the game as some people feel. It took time to get those OSHK on targets, at least in non-hardcore mode. I think snipers have a distinct role to play in a game like Planetside but they lacked tools to promote their use aside from killing players.

While killing is good, utility is better. If say there's some scout branch on Light Assault allowing the use of sniper rifles and supplemental skills, it may be worthwhile if those skills provided function and utility to everyone; not just the snipers squad or the players in close proximity. Like spotting players in BC2, or a unique laser pointer that updates a waypoint in real time to pilots who accept an associated mission for a precsion bombing run, etc.
Old 2011-07-15, 12:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #57
Vancha
Colonel

I'd ask how headshots benefit gameplay. For example, if it's just the satisfaction of getting them, what if headshot kills came up in the killspam but didn't actually do extra damage?

No, I suppose it's the additional element of risk/reward. You risk your chance of hitting, but get the reward of an instant kill...What if headshots somehow debuffed a target (slow/disorient/blur etc.) instead of doing extra damage, while killing someone with a headshot came up on the killspam and contributed to a merit? Would that satisfy headshot fans?

The problem here is obviously the conflict between how headshots benefit gameplay and how they deteriorate it (and they do do both.) Planetside 2 seems like the ideal game to try and solve that conflict.

Originally Posted by Sobekeus View Post
The most accurate weapon having the most retarded CoF design is bullshit and was the one thing above everything else I loathed about PS1. Strafing to lead shouldn't be necessary for a sniper.
I think the idea there was to stop people being able to swing their aim 10* to the left and be able to land a shot (I guess you'd call that "twitch" sniping?).
Old 2011-07-15, 01:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
Do you want 50% of PS2 server pop pick sniper class, as they do in BC2?
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-15, 01:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I think the idea there was to stop people being able to swing their aim 10* to the left and be able to land a shot (I guess you'd call that "twitch" sniping?).
I understand that, but even so there was no need for it to be done that way.

Old 2011-07-15, 02:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
Do you want 50% of PS2 server pop pick sniper class, as they do in BC2?
In my experience its 50% medics.

Honestly, I laugh when the enemy team is sniper heavy. It means an easy win. Snipers are useful for the sensor balls, and they definitely come in handy clearing people off of fixed weapons. Other than that its a mediocre class.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion