Vertical stabilizer for vehicle turrets? - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Have your Hugged your Hamma today?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Vertical stabilizers for ground vehicles, yes or no? Explain below.
Yes 46 52.27%
No 42 47.73%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-02-13, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Graywolves
General

Re: Vertical stabilizer for vehicle turrets?

I don't think the Driver-gun should be stabilized but the secondary gunner should.
Old 2012-02-13, 02:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I had no complaints with the gunning mechanics of PS1. That fact compels me to be hesitant to any changes.

Minimal-to-mild stabilizing.....I could handle.

ONE CAVEAT - absolutely NOT "active" in a single occupant tank. MBT, Lightning,....whatever.

I loved the TEAMWORK element of PS1. Therefore, I'd only vote for stabilizing (slightly) guns if EVERY seat in that vehicle was occupied.

Then, teamwork is rewarded.

My Outfit arranged different events many times each each week. Lightning Crashes were my favorite....you get 8 or more Lightning going it was raining shells....it didn't matter that aiming was a lost art for most of us.....man ! We could scare off tanks even if we only had a 2-1 ratio.....the amount of fire we could put in the air over targets was more than most chose to deal with.

Also RAIDER crashes. Once we got 4 full RAIDERS in a close pack ..... it was surprisingly deadly. LOTS OF FUN ..... especially when we were out on water and 1 or 2 REAVERS thought we were easy prey.

Last edited by Chaff; 2012-02-13 at 03:02 PM.
Old 2012-02-13, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
VioletZero
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I don't think the Driver-gun should be stabilized but the secondary gunner should.
That's a good idea. Because then there is at least sync between driving and gunning enough for this to work.
Old 2012-02-13, 03:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I can see a slight vertical stabilization just to make going over sudden but only 1 foot drop not affect your aim that much, but terrain is one of the many tools of planetside. There won't just be flat space that is a given for vehicles, and space so rough no ground fighting exists. There will be many shades of grey with steep cliffs, rolling hills, chasms, trees, etc.

I don't like the idea of "If it can get there, it can gun there". I think rough terrain should stay an obstacle for vehicles, as in the driver has to use judgement based on his perks and the difficulty of the terrain to decide if his gunner is able to kill while driving there
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2012-02-13 at 03:39 PM.
Old 2012-02-13, 03:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Yea stabilizing main gun would be bad. They should not have it too easy, when soloing in tank.
But even driving and gunning for some will be hard, so they dont move that much, and making it even harder to aim while driving will stop them entirely, so most tanks become stationary spamming towers (if they arent stupid to become reaver bait). It will be "bridge" stalemate everywhere. Only shows how flawed it is. You cant make it easy not to become best weapon for killwhores, but making it harder will make gameplay tedious.
Old 2012-02-13, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

I'm totally for full modern stabilization as I'm always for realism and being this is a way futuristic game allowing the driver to gun is also realistic however I must of missed that because I didn't see this news about the drivers also gunning? If the driver is the gunner when he is the only one in the tank that's fine cause he is going to have to go slow or be static to aim and hit shit anyways but what matters is if he can give control of the main gun when he gets a gunner to gun for him so he can then concentrate on being the driver. Is that how its going to work leaving it up to the players decision or did they do something total arcade and highly disappointing and stupid and made the driver the dedicated main gunner the whole time?
Old 2012-02-13, 06:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
ThGlump
Captain

Sadly its that disappointing and stupid version. Welcome to ps2, looks like you have many info to catch up.
Old 2012-02-13, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Figment
Lieutenant General

You could also use vertical stabilization as a side grade in terms of accuracy, having it effect something like the max expansion of cone of fire.

World of Tanks does a lot in module upgrades/sidegrades. Quite possible they'll loan some ideas from there.
Old 2012-02-13, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
jangio
Private

the skill in vehicles came from the driver's ability to keep up with the target while avoiding damage and the gunner's ability to correctly lead their target. Why should random bumps be a part of the equation? That has nothing to do with skill. Also, even real life tanks these days have stabilization. It just doesn't make sense for a futuristic game not to have it.

Stabilization doesn't make the game skill-less. You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of old retirees who are opposed to any sort of change ("things were better in the good old days"). Don't let nostalgia get in the way of creating a better game- this is planetside 2, not a planetside mod to bring the graphics up to date.
Old 2012-02-13, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Sadly its that disappointing and stupid version. Welcome to ps2, looks like you have many info to catch up.
WAAAA!!??? How could that be no planetside player would be for that what the hell happen? There is no way that they are doing something that stupid!? SOE it is simple leave it to the player I know you want to make the game fun for single players that fine let them drive and gun like battle field and new arcade games but let the driver give up the gun to a passenger to gun for him so he can just drive and they can have the team effort experience that planet side is so loved for and is why you have the dedicated fan base you do. Please don't fuck up the only MMOFPS we have. Remember it is fine to add some new characteristics to the game so it can compete with all the new arcades but this is still a mmo and there for different. Guys we can't let them do this!, this must be explained very easily to them LET THE PLAYER DECIDE HOW HE WANTS TO PLAY HIS VEHICLE then every one is happy.
Old 2012-02-13, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
ThGlump
Captain

You missed the whining about it by few months. But it was all pointless. They have it in vehicle design (mags fixed main gun) and doesnt look they are willing to change it. Its stupid, but we have to wait till beta and then bash them with tanks to head with solid evidence that it doesnt work, and hope it isnt too late.
Old 2012-02-13, 07:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
You missed the whining about it by few months. But it was all pointless. They have it in vehicle design (mags fixed main gun) and doesnt look they are willing to change it. Its stupid, but we have to wait till beta and then bash them with tanks to head with solid evidence that it doesnt work, and hope it isnt too late.
Sounds like a plan we need to be organized about this and get it changed I will head over to the other forum posts about it thanks for the heads up.
Old 2012-02-13, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Fenrys
Major

Yes, but limited dampening. I think it would be less frustrating and more fun, and that's really the point of playing a game.
Old 2012-02-13, 09:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by DayOne View Post
No stabilisers makes for realistic and interesting game play that means the driver has some responsibility rather than just getting from point A to point B.
"Realistic" is turrets that actually stay, not just on azimuth, but on target, after you have spotted the target with your targeting system.

The M1A1's gun traverses and moves vertically to maintain it's bearing on a chosen target. Driver can be doing anything in his vehicle up to the bump-stops of the turrets vertical travel, and the gun will stay on target.

That is how it needs to be to be realistic. I think it would be a good addition to the game, too.
Old 2012-02-13, 11:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by jangio View Post
the skill in vehicles came from the driver's ability to keep up with the target while avoiding damage and the gunner's ability to correctly lead their target. Why should random bumps be a part of the equation? That has nothing to do with skill. Also, even real life tanks these days have stabilization. It just doesn't make sense for a futuristic game not to have it.

Stabilization doesn't make the game skill-less. You guys are starting to sound like a bunch of old retirees who are opposed to any sort of change ("things were better in the good old days"). Don't let nostalgia get in the way of creating a better game- this is planetside 2, not a planetside mod to bring the graphics up to date.
It has nothing to do with nostalgia, and has everything to do with trying to preserve tank combat as a complex and rewarding contest of skills.

For the driver, it involves utilizing the terrain to make yourself a harder target to hit while still keeping your vehicle in a good firing position and providing a stable platform to your gunner. For the gunner, it involves anticipating and reacting to changes in terrain in order to quickly adjust your aim and time your shots in order to keep them on target. Mastering both skills is something that IMO separates a "pretty good" tank crew from one that is truly exceptional, and to say that this has nothing to do with skill is frankly quite naive.

In addition, adding vertical stabilization would be a direct nerf to vehicles that use speed and maneuverability to survive rather than raw armour and firepower. The easier it is for an average gunner to hit their target, the longer the range where a contest of player skills to out-gun and out-maneuver your opponent turns into a contest of character certs to just out-equip and/or out-damage them.

So even though I know little about the specifics in PS2 vehicle combat, for now I'm going to say NO to vertical stabilizers. Who knows, my opinion may change once Beta starts. I doubt it tho.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-02-13 at 11:40 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion