Kill cam.. again.. - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So is he now Hammaboo?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-13, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Vancha
Colonel

Re: Kill cam.. again..

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Seeking to give the outline/profile cam it's own distinguishing name is paranoia? Thought it was a way of avoiding instigating paranoia in the future, myself.
No one but us will know what it means and the distinction is only approaching valuable for as long as no one can play it. Once it's in beta the killcam will be a killcam that isn't like other killcams but still a killcam.
Old 2012-05-13, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

once again i dont see what all the fuss is about. it will only help new players to learn the game and the environment. the more seasoned player will most likely turn this feature off because they know how they died, and from where.mine wont be on long.......... the only reason i can see people crying about this is if they intend to camp..... sorry guys no more camping in planetside... no more third person,and there will be kill cams. they are trying to speed up combat and stop noobs from camping. with this system in place if you want to camp then your as likely to die as fast as the person or persons you are camping.

i know the devs value the op of all the members on this forum, but we will make up 2% of planetside 2 population. if that.

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2012-05-13 at 01:08 PM.
Old 2012-05-13, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
No one but us will know what it means and the distinction is only approaching valuable for as long as no one can play it. Once it's in beta the killcam will be a killcam that isn't like other killcams but still a killcam.
Lol it's not a "kill cam" you guys can keep calling it that but a "kill cam" is exactly what it says, a camera showing the kill, hence the name "kill cam". That is a very misleading term, there is a whole world of difference between that and a screen that shows the killers 3D model and their stats, that is not a kill cam because there is no camera of the kill, it is a screen.

Now for the people who say that it was childish for me to put I won't play, that's fine you are entitled to your opinion just like I shared mine. I would not play this game however if it had a kill cam like the one we saw in alpha. I already argued my case in the other threads about this issue, but essentially it would ruin the game for me. That is my opinion.

Last I also started this thread to talk about the immersion killer of having Everquest, free realms, ect in planetside 2. Obviously SOE has advertising reasons to do this, but I don't like that idea very much. Just throwing my two cents out there and I don't mind the planetside 1 stuff not the other games though.

And this thread wasn't created in an angry tone, I was calm and disappointed. So please take a step back and calm down. This is a discussion board and when I see the term kill cam I am going to think it is a kill cam. If you use the word plane I will think you are talking about a flying aircraft. There is no other use for the word kill cam it only has one meaning just had to clear that up even though some people are still going to argue haha
Old 2012-05-13, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rumblepit View Post
once again i dont see what all the fuss is about. it will only help new players to learn the game and the environment. the more seasoned player will most likely turn this feature off because they know how they died, and from where.mine wont be on long.......... the only reason i can see people crying about this is if they intend to camp..... sorry guys no more camping in planetside... no more third person,and there will be kill cams. they are trying to speed up combat and stop noobs from camping. with this system in place if you want to camp then your as likely to die as fast as the person or persons you are camping.

i know the devs value the op of all the members on this forum, but we will make up 2% of planetside 2 population. if that.
Firstly, show me a quote of a developer saying they're trying to stop snipers (or anyone else) camping in Planetside 2.

Secondly, what system? Did you not read the thread?

Edit:
Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
Lol it's not a "kill cam" you guys can keep calling it that but a "kill cam" is exactly what it says, a camera showing the kill, hence the name "kill cam". That is a very misleading term, there is a whole world of difference between that and a screen that shows the killers 3D model and their stats, that is not a kill cam because there is no camera of the kill, it is a screen.
Why must it be a camera showing the kill? How is a camera showing something else that only comes up -and can only come up - in the event of a kill, not definable as a "kill cam"?

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-05-13 at 01:46 PM.
Old 2012-05-13, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Stardouser
Colonel

Camping is a legitimate tactic. If ever there was an issue where it's "stop liking what I don't like", it's this one. The key is that you don't force people to camp by having things like easy 1 hit kills, Robin Hood spotting features, aircraft able to see infantry with extreme ease, etc. But as long your game isn't forcing to people to camp, forcing people to NOT camp is wrong.

Also, people who are defending a base and have nowhere else to go are not camping. They are defending. Camping really only exists in Deathmatch games. To apply the term "Camping" to a large world persistent MMO, is the same as treating it like a Deathmatch.

The only thing that really exists in a large scale MMO like this is not "camping" but...Kill Death Ratio-centric play. Guys who sit outside the base they are attacking, unwilling to throw themselves onto the capture point because doing that will cause them to suffer the same amount of deaths but instead of more kills they can only get capture points, which doesn't help your KDR.

Last edited by Stardouser; 2012-05-13 at 01:50 PM.
Old 2012-05-13, 01:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Firstly, show me a quote of a developer saying they're trying to stop snipers (or anyone else) camping in Planetside 2.

Secondly, what system? Did you not read the thread?

nobody is gonna stop anyone from camping anything,if you want to sit in the same place and snipe , shoot, spit, dance, have at it... you wont last long.....

the system they"devs" put into place was to get rid of third person and add kill cam. THIS WAS DONE TO STOP PEOPLE FROM CAMPING....i dont know if you have ever played a modern fps game, but if there is osok snipers, you dont stay in the same place, EVER....... as soon as you fire they will know where you are and you will have to move, thats why the snipers have cammo in ps2.... cause they wont be able to camp and will have to be on the move often . is there anything else i can help you understand?

they are trying to speed up combat in planetside 2.easy way to do so is faster ttk,headshots,less camping

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2012-05-13 at 01:56 PM.
Old 2012-05-13, 01:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
The Kush
Captain

Edit:

Why must it be a camera showing the kill? How is a camera showing something else that only comes up -and can only come up - in the event of a kill, not definable as a "kill cam"?
Valiant effort my friend haha and very well thought argument, however it goes back to the idea a camera is a camera, what was being recorded to warrant the use of the word? You aren't seeing your death recorded by a camera, your just seeing some simple stats. And besides that it is still misleading. No one has ever used the word kill cam for anything else except to show your death replayed as if it were recorded by a camera. So yea for me it is misleading to use that word. If anything it is a death recap lol.
Old 2012-05-13, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Vancha
Colonel

the system they"devs" put into place was to get rid of third person and add kill cam. THIS WAS DONE TO STOP PEOPLE FROM CAMPING....i dont know if you have ever played a modern fps game, but if there is osok snipers, you dont stay in the same place, EVER....... as soon as you fire they will know where you are and you will have to move, thats why the snipers have cammo in ps2.... cause they wont be able to camp and will have to be on the move often . is there anything else i can help you understand?
Yes there is. You seem to be implying the killcam in PS2 reveals the location of the killer, when the entire point of this thread is to confirm what we've already been told, which is that it doesn't.

Also, perhaps you can help me understand why you think the flow and dynamics of battles in modern FPS' are adequately comparable to an environment like Planetside's?
Old 2012-05-13, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

fyi the kill cam can be use in other ways,,, it can help the person doing the killing to get more kills . cam trap is all ill say.

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2012-05-13 at 02:27 PM.
Old 2012-05-13, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
Valiant effort my friend haha and very well thought argument, however it goes back to the idea a camera is a camera, what was being recorded to warrant the use of the word? You aren't seeing your death recorded by a camera, your just seeing some simple stats. And besides that it is still misleading. No one has ever used the word kill cam for anything else except to show your death replayed as if it were recorded by a camera. So yea for me it is misleading to use that word. If anything it is a death recap lol.
So you wouldn't consider TF2's close-up of your killer a "kill cam"?

Fact is, people will use the term colloquially to describe the screen that comes up, because it's a term with widespread use and everyone will understand what it means. The mere existence of the 3D model will make the term applicable, too.

fyi the kill cam can be use in other ways,,, it can help the person doing the killing to get more kills . cam trap is all ill say.
That does not change the fact that the kind of kill cam you are imagining does not exist in the game.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-05-13 at 02:31 PM.
Old 2012-05-13, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Synical
Corporal

Originally Posted by Toppopia View Post
I wonder if anyone will come here and nay it.
An now you have your answer.

Motion to use the term "Outline Cam" instead of "Killcam"

Erendil votes "Yay"
Vancha votes "Nay"
(Based on the horribly flawed logic that helping people avoid misconceptions leads to increased paranoia )

Yays: 5 - Nays: 1

Last edited by Synical; 2012-05-13 at 02:43 PM.
Old 2012-05-13, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Yes there is. You seem to be implying the killcam in PS2 reveals the location of the killer, when the entire point of this thread is to confirm what we've already been told, which is that it doesn't.

Also, perhaps you can help me understand why you think the flow and dynamics of battles in modern FPS' are adequately comparable to an environment like Planetside's?
it wont tell you were they are your right... but if hes by a tree next to a rock and the shot came from the south, yea hes dead. 1 + 1 =2 i think. my math mite be off a bit.not hard to figure it out. like i said it will be a rather annoying feature that seasoned gamers will want to turn off.

because this is not planetside anymore....... this going to be a massive modern fps thats on planetside maps with a planetside theme . if you are unfamiliar with tactics in these games you best get to work. combat in ps1 will be nothing like combat in ps2.
Old 2012-05-13, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
Camping is a legitimate tactic. If ever there was an issue where it's "stop liking what I don't like", it's this one. The key is that you don't force people to camp by having things like easy 1 hit kills, Robin Hood spotting features, aircraft able to see infantry with extreme ease, etc. But as long your game isn't forcing to people to camp, forcing people to NOT camp is wrong.

Also, people who are defending a base and have nowhere else to go are not camping. They are defending. Camping really only exists in Deathmatch games. To apply the term "Camping" to a large world persistent MMO, is the same as treating it like a Deathmatch.

The only thing that really exists in a large scale MMO like this is not "camping" but...Kill Death Ratio-centric play. Guys who sit outside the base they are attacking, unwilling to throw themselves onto the capture point because doing that will cause them to suffer the same amount of deaths but instead of more kills they can only get capture points, which doesn't help your KDR.
Signed. There are bullet tracers for making sniper location known. In highly cooperative game like this having sniper's position reveled after first kill is plain stupid since everyone in that team will be notified by killed member. This is not an area shooter.

I myself for example used to play MG in DOD:S and yes I camped but what else are you supposed to do as MG? I moved when shelled by grenades or had my back exposed only. But if my teammates held my back and grenades weren't incoming I held my ground and riddled with bullets everything in my sight that had US insignia on it.
Old 2012-05-13, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Kipper
Captain

I don't know when "camper" became a derogatory term, if i'm defending something - stands to reason that I'm not gonna move away from it. Especially if it's a good location and you don't know I'm there.

I suppose it's the same mentality as when people call others "noob" as an insult. Most odd.
Old 2012-05-13, 06:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
I don't know when "camper" became a derogatory term, if i'm defending something - stands to reason that I'm not gonna move away from it. Especially if it's a good location and you don't know I'm there.

I suppose it's the same mentality as when people call others "noob" as an insult. Most odd.
Camping has always been a derogatory in my experience of its usage amongst gamers, as well as among caravanners

It refers to the act of sitting in one position performing the same action repeatedly with little or no skill to farm easy kills.

Examples:
Defending a base door is not camping.
Sitting with a sniper rifle on a hill a mile away with a 20x scope OSOKing the defenders with no intention of entering the base yourself is camping and deserves the contempt it gets.
Spawn camping players in their pj's is lame and deserves the contempt it gets.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion