Names of Friendlies Should be GREEN! - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Go to hell Alf!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-10, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
wraithverge
Sergeant

Re: Names of Friendlies Should be GREEN!

if you watch the stream, names are all white, however they have a green glow if friendly. I think this will be fine, and there was not much tk, the red names and red names were often second and third faction killing each other. All enemy names appeared in red at the upper right, they had a faction symbol with them however.

I think we just need to wait till beta.
Old 2012-07-10, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

Let players define UI colors as they see fit, even adding differentiation for different types of targets (NC or TR, Vehicle or Infantry, etc) to further improve visibility and info communication.
Old 2012-07-10, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Roidster
Staff Sergeant

just make it the same as planetside,problem fixed,gold orange and purple for platoon,just keep it simple
Old 2012-07-10, 12:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Ruwyn
Corporal

Originally Posted by Roidster View Post
just make it the same as planetside,problem fixed,gold orange and purple for platoon,just keep it simple
This^^^^

different shades of green? no.

However maybe we should throw a wrench into the industry and use red = stop, don't fire and green = fire away!

red light, green light, red light, green light
Old 2012-07-10, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
infected
Staff Sergeant

red=dead
Old 2012-07-10, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
Ertwin
Staff Sergeant

Having the IFF take a second to recognize friendlies isn`t a problem. It encourages people to hold their fire until they confirm friend or foe, rather than shooting everything that moves.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Airanuva
Private

Well, It's a good thing I'll be trying to main an infiltrator. Careful aiming to get headshots, more time to actually recognize people on my team, and the ability to turn invisible to avoid the idiots as well.

"... What do you mean I'm supposed to use the cloak to avoid the enemy? That's just silly..."
Old 2012-07-10, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Trafalgar
First Sergeant

The first thing I did when I started playing Tribes Ascend was join a random team, look down to see what color armor I was wearing (red), and then start trying to shoot people whose names were blue.

My shots were ineffective, and as I got closer I found that blue names actually were people with red armor, and red names were people with blue armor.

This is counter-intuitive.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Nemeses
Staff Sergeant

Surprised that its not green TBH, pretty fundamental.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
MrKWalmsley
First Sergeant

Personally I think friendlies should be blue, as it is an actual military designation and it seems to fit more for my own personal opinion. Blue on blue, not green on green! BlueFor not GreenFor!
Old 2012-07-10, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
kertvon
Sergeant

While team colors are important, it still doesn't really replaced recognizing team members by sight. I can think a few times in a few other titles that the overhead indicator was all I could look for and missed kills and or picked up a team kill because I could not recognize friendlise/hosies without the indicators. Hopefully the devs are focusing on making team members and enemies easier to spot.

This game is going to have huge terrain distance and it will be really easy to screw up and kill friendlies. Hopefully it forces some solid recon/scouting team play to properly spot targets.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Shinjorai
First Sergeant

I believe the customization for whatever colors you want is best. That way if somebodys colorblind they dont have to enable some certain mode, they just pick the colors and shades that work for them. As far as the default colors if they had these options it really wouldnt matter and everybody could set it up however they wanted. I think this is the only way theyre going to please everybody. Because peoples opinions are bound to be different.
Old 2012-07-10, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Even with very defined silhouettes or armor colors it still takes a lot of conditioning to get down to the same reaction time as you get with red/green names. The red/green system has been used for so long that distinguishing friend or foe with it is almost instant. It takes a lot longer to process armor type and color, which means either you're going to hesitate every time or (more likely) you'll just shoot first and ask questions later, because hesitating will always put you at a disadvantage against someone who does the latter.

Just use red/green names. It's the simplest and most effective way, everybody's used to it already.

And a friend of mine would want me to mention: don't forget different color options for colorblind players!
Old 2012-07-10, 02:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Nemeses
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Shinjorai View Post
I believe the customization for whatever colors you want is best. That way if somebodys colorblind they dont have to enable some certain mode, they just pick the colors and shades that work for them. As far as the default colors if they had these options it really wouldnt matter and everybody could set it up however they wanted. I think this is the only way theyre going to please everybody. Because peoples opinions are bound to be different.
This would be the perfect fix, the reason most people say green is thats the color it is in most FPS games, and it is what people are used to.
Old 2012-07-10, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Pancake
Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrKWalmsley View Post
Personally I think friendlies should be blue, as it is an actual military designation and it seems to fit more for my own personal opinion. Blue on blue, not green on green! BlueFor not GreenFor!
BlueFor = Friendly
GreenFor = Squad
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion