New Player Mentality - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: could this game get me my driving cetification?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-22, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Ratstomper
Major

Re: New Player Mentality

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
My concerns are precisely the reverse. I think any RPG people who migrate over will tend towards the friendly pro-social teamwork side, and I hope the TR attract as many of them as possible.

There are no more ruthless win-at-all-costs narcissists and exploiters to be found than in the Cawadooty crowd.
Not to mention the borderline ADD mentality most FPS games ingrain in people....

"I'm in! Shoot people! Shoot that guy! *blamblamblam* Now shoot that guy! *blamblamblam* Lawl why is noone shooting back? *blamblamblam* Why is everyone dressed the same color? *blamblamblam* omg im the best at this game. lawl these guys are all nubs. *blamblamblamblam*"
Old 2012-07-22, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Today's a real winner for quality threads.
Old 2012-07-22, 02:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
Today's a real winner for quality threads.
And Yesterday, i think instead of retarded thread day, its retarded thread WEEK.
Old 2012-07-22, 02:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
proxy
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
And Yesterday, i think instead of retarded thread day, its retarded thread WEEK.
People are rabid with sillygoosery.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-07-22, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

Stupid isn't a mentality, but I do think they should bring back instant action and have it be a giant shiny red button on the UI when you first log into the game. That would PROBABLY make it idiot proof.
Old 2012-07-22, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
moosepoop
Captain

the new player is like a shy virgin. i will be gentle, and show them the way of the warrior.
Old 2012-07-22, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Emperor Newt
Second Lieutenant

Thats a problem with every game that tries to do things differently and relies on teamwork. Nothing exklusive to Planetside. And as with every such game it's for the community to try to reach out to players and to teach them how to play the game.
SOE can only give new players a rough idea on how to play the game, the "real thing" has to be learned by the interaction with other players. If those dont bring the calmness and manners to teach new players again and again then it will stop to grow at a certain point.
It may be painfull to explain some things for thousand times, but it's necessary.

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
And if Sony doesn't charge something for the client, I think a lot of us have the secret fear that we're going to be overrun with them.
From my experience this doesn't help. At all. CoD isn't free of "14 years olds" and WoW is neither. They are not because mommy and daddy will pay for everything little Timmy asks for.

Last edited by Emperor Newt; 2012-07-22 at 03:06 PM.
Old 2012-07-22, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

The instant action button was a good feature to have. Solved a lot of problems for folks, I'm sure.
Old 2012-07-22, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Tehroth
Corporal

I think the Developers should make all us Veterans, Vanu because we are the enlightened bunch. Everyone else is just insects that joined the bandwagon, and didn't put sweat, blood and tears like us grisly veterans did to make your lives and your clone's lives easier for you ps2 trendy wannabes.

I have battle scars, Battle scars! From my encounters from ps1. Kids these days have it easy, wish they could walk a mile without a Galaxy in my boots back in 03. I reckon this is how the Vets from Vietnam felt coming home after the war. A bunch of ungrateful hippies that did nothing to help and hurling insults at us. Well my friends we have seen a bloody conflict not many have seen. We have done many things not many have done.

All I am asking is a a one hit kill weapon, invincibility, a veteran uniform, no taxes for life, a free house, car and 1,000,000 dollars. Is that really that much to ask for??!
Old 2012-07-22, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Littleman
First Lieutenant

The instant action button was a good feature to have. Solved a lot of problems for folks, I'm sure.
After a while. I remember early in the game's life it had the problem of constantly dumping me off in a 2v1 tower brawl, and those were the only 3 people on the continent until I arrived.

I wanted to go to the continent with 30 slots left...
Old 2012-07-22, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Kezz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tehroth View Post
I think the Developers should make all us Veterans, Vanu because we are the enlightened bunch. Everyone else is just insects that joined the bandwagon, and didn't put sweat, blood and tears like us grisly veterans did to make your lives and your clone's lives easier for you ps2 trendy wannabes.

I have battle scars, Battle scars! From my encounters from ps1. Kids these days have it easy, wish they could walk a mile without a Galaxy in my boots back in 03. I reckon this is how the Vets from Vietnam felt coming home after the war. A bunch of ungrateful hippies that did nothing to help and hurling insults at us. Well my friends we have seen a bloody conflict not many have seen. We have done many things not many have done.

All I am asking is a a one hit kill weapon, invincibility, a veteran uniform, no taxes for life, a free house, car and 1,000,000 dollars. Is that really that much to ask for??!
It is teh LOL
Old 2012-07-22, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by Tehroth View Post
Ok, we get it. Some of the vets are unreasonable. Can we stop kicking the dead joke horse?
Old 2012-07-22, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
Ok, we get it. Some of the vets are unreasonable. Can we stop kicking the dead joke horse?
No! The horse isn't fully decomposed yet! We must keep bringing it up, until another wave of rage threads is birthed!

Seriously, though, back to the instant action. Yeah, it would ideally throw you somewhere "there must be (this) many players to qualify" so you don't wind up nowhere. But, tipping the tower fight 2v1 might be helpful in the grand scheme :P
Old 2012-07-22, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Ratstomper
Major

No! The horse isn't fully decomposed yet! We must keep bringing it up, until another wave of rage threads is birthed!

Seriously, though, back to the instant action. Yeah, it would ideally throw you somewhere "there must be (this) many players to qualify" so you don't wind up nowhere. But, tipping the tower fight 2v1 might be helpful in the grand scheme :P
I dunno. the only reason I used instant action in PS1 was because you had to either A) wait for the hart and go though a loading screen or B) pull a vehicle, go through loading screen and then make your way to the battle with your vehicle. I think that fact we have footholds on the continents and all vehicles certed automatically makes instant action kinda moot.
Old 2012-07-22, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Actually, that guy being referred to is less of a "new player" mentality, as much as it is a general purpose dipsh*t. He spent twenty minutes TKing and wandering aimlessly mostly from his own incompetence. It doesn't take more than a couple seconds to open the map, notice your guys are dressed in blue, this section of the map is blue, and over here is a red section of the map.

Actually, you're probably right. This will be a common new player mentality. They have tutorials and welcome screens lined up already (which said guy clicked through). As the saying goes, you can't fix stupid. People who come in and start behaving erratically and doing weird stuff, it's not because of the community they're joining or the presence or absence of guides... It's just cause they're weird.
agree with you on that. some of vids that have been leaked so far have been idiots playing who dont seem to have the first clue what they are doing or even a clue what to do in tech/beta test. its a shame you cant vet the people you let into these things first so people who get in are actually helpfull.

im a new player to planetside 2 but an old player of MMO's and FPS's.
planetside is the sort of thing im gona love and really want to get into.

also done alot of beta testing and a few Alpha tests.

from what iv seen over the years you are right, you cant fix stupid lol.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion