News: Planetside 2 beta plans - Page 44 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Mouse Recomended
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-14, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #646
PilotJack
Private

Re: Planetside 2 beta plans

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
Right in the aris.
Old 2012-07-14, 05:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #647
diLLa
Staff Sergeant

Old 2012-07-14, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #648
PilotJack
Private

Last edited by PilotJack; 2012-07-14 at 05:59 PM.
Old 2012-07-14, 05:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #649
BarrelRoll
Private

Success.

Anyways, I think if the Tech Test Invites are really going out today it will be in the next 3 hours.
Old 2012-07-14, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #650
Xeller
Corporal

Originally Posted by BarrelRoll View Post
Really, I don't see why they have to use this other company for the european service anyway. There's not many advantages and really all it has done is just piss off many people.
It's actually pretty common. I worked at a tech company and we contracted out support to a company in Germany to handle all the European customers. Now, the tech company was no where near the size SOE is, but I think the practice is used by a lot of entities.

The thing with how the Planetside team is communicating, is that they are going only halfway. With things like this I really think you should disclose everything, or nothing. If multiple staffers drop hints and tidbits that are just contradicted by another staffer within the next 24 hours it really irks the players.

The thing to keep in mind is we really aren't entitled to any information, and SOE has been better than others as far as how open they are being. I just think it is a complicated and difficult time and that is why very little information is coming out of San Diego.
Old 2012-07-14, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #651
Timey
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SergeantNubins View Post
This is the problem with them handing off their service to prosieben. It just adds a layer of beaurocracy between them and the EU players. It's not good for the players and its not good for SOE.

This already confirms that there will be a difference in response times and service between what the NA players get and what the EU players get and that's frustrating. SWTOR had loads of problems because they treated EU players as 2nd class to NA, even though there were more of them.

It's a real shame because other than this there is nothing I can think of to criticise them about this whole process, they could have been spotless
quoting because full of points <3

(+I'm a euro)

Originally Posted by Xeller View Post
It's actually pretty common. I worked at a tech company and we contracted out support to a company in Germany to handle all the European customers. Now, the tech company was no where near the size SOE is, but I think the practice is used by a lot of entities.

The thing with how the Planetside team is communicating, is that they are going only halfway. With things like this I really think you should disclose everything, or nothing. If multiple staffers drop hints and tidbits that are just contradicted by another staffer within the next 24 hours it really irks the players.

The thing to keep in mind is we really aren't entitled to any information, and SOE has been better than others as far as how open they are being. I just think it is a complicated and difficult time and that is why very little information is coming out of San Diego.
^ I like you, and would buy you a beer if we were to ever meet

Last edited by Timey; 2012-07-14 at 06:15 PM.
Old 2012-07-14, 06:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #652
TazmamzaT
Sergeant

Will entrance into the tech test also mean entrance when beta starts up as well? Does anyone have any info on that?
Old 2012-07-14, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #653
haticK
First Sergeant

More than likely yes
Old 2012-07-14, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #654
NoDachi
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by TazmamzaT View Post
Will entrance into the tech test also mean entrance when beta starts up as well? Does anyone have any info on that?
I'm pretty sure it does.

The difference between the techtest and the beta from our perspective, will be the sample size and the client version.

I'm sure it'll be the same pool, just enlarged.
Old 2012-07-14, 07:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #655
GLaDOS
Staff Sergeant

Not sure if anyone's posted this yet on the forums, but someone did put it on the Facebook page: http://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/c..._of_ps2_after/

It's got a few nice details.
Old 2012-07-14, 07:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #656
Neodymius
Private

Just for reference, I'm going to list the most relevant quotes from Smed, so that people can access the information quickly from this thread, without searching through it and the reddit post. Just trying to make life easier for everyone, seeing as some people are unfortunately missing the information.
Specifically for the beta questions, not general PS2 information and friendly banter.

In respect to asking if tech tests invites having been sent out (7 hours before my post):
they haven't yet. We have a tech test candidate build up on our servers and it has a few things that need fixing before we send the invites out. I'm hoping that occurs later today. I don't want to raise expectations. The first group is small (no I'm not saying how big). the purpose here is to literally make sure people outside our offices can get the game, get into the game and to see what happens with a larger group of people on machines different from the ones we've tested with. There will be bugs. There will be problems getting people in. All of this is expected and we'll get it sorted out very fast.
Whether the tech test is NA only (7 hours before this post):
it will not be NA only, but we will start with NA. We have a European server ready to go for it but we're starting with NA.
As for why not at the same time (2 hours before this post):
It takes longer to deploy patches to the EU server. During this very first part of the tech test we want a very high iteration rate. After we get through the first part it will be patched roughly at the same time.
Will EU be seperate for the tech test (3 hours ago):
EU Players will be able to play on their own awesome server. Lag is everything in an FPS. Don't worry.. we get it.
In regards to when can we expect the main beta to begin (3 hours before this post):
The truth is we don't know how long the tech test is going to last. Our guess is 1-2 weeks. Could be shorter. Could be longer. Not trying to dodge the question. it's just the straight up truth - we don't know what problems we're going to see.
(The user asked if we might have to potentially wait months to get in, and Smed said "No way")

In respect to specific functions being available from the beginning of the beta (8 hours ago):
all of the command structure stuff and the certs were turned off yesterday. They will be for the tech test and the early beta while we finish and tune them up. Right now we're more interested in making sure the nuts and bolts of the game are working as intended. Getting a game that lets 2000 people play in a modern FPS is no easy thing and we have to get that stuff all working as intended. Rest assured we understand the command structure is the key to the game and it's shaping up to be spectacularly awesome. Can't wait to share it.

In terms of the certs.. when we turn those on and you see how many YEARS worth of training certs we have you are going to love it!
__________________________________________________ ___________

From everything that I read here it can be summed up as:

-It is suggested that we may have access to beta by the end of the month, perhaps a little later.
-Don't stress over the tech tests, you likely won't be invited, and it is an important phase in development that they want completed properly and quickly. Certainly not something anyone is entitled access to.
-They aren't leaving us EU players out. It's important for beta testing that we are on a seperate server to NA, they already know what a high ping is, it's not something they need confused with technical issues. It seems likely that we'll be getting into the actual beta around the same time, even if the tech tests begin seperately. Again, the difference in launch times are only confirmed for the tech testing right now, why worry about?
-Features will be enabled/disabled as the beta goes along, but we already knew that.

Last edited by Neodymius; 2012-07-14 at 07:18 PM.
Old 2012-07-14, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #657
Bags
Lieutenant General

Tech Test starts at 6pm tonight. Invite emails are being sent now - smedley
Old 2012-07-14, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #658
haticK
First Sergeant

Time to stare at e-mail for 20mins
Old 2012-07-14, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #659
The Admiral
Private

zomg zomg zomg zomg
Old 2012-07-14, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #660
Miicheal
Private

And to all you tech test noobs welcome. Those not NC will get a special welcome. - Smedley
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion