News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 45 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This message will take over your mind in 20 seconds.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-23, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #661
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

This thread has an end!!!!

Oh wait no it doesn't.
Old 2012-02-23, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #662
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by EZShot View Post
Haven't read all 40-odd pages (can you blame me?)...but..

... it keeps pings down. 2000 players on a cont (or whatever is) is a huuuuuge amount of data to shift and, imo, the game needs to be able to run in the sub 50's ping-wise to make best use of this "fps first" hoowaa.
Might have been worth just going through the thread trying to find the word "ping" with the search function.

I had 93ms ping from the UK to Emerald, there were US players with higher ping than that.
Old 2012-02-23, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #663
EZShot
Corporal

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Might have been worth just going through the thread trying to find the word "ping" with the search function.

I had 93ms ping from the UK to Emerald, there were US players with higher ping than that.
I know I shoulda searched. Just wanted to say "ping"...it's a fun word

I also know that the pings were fine on the servers cross-continent. But this game supports more than twice the players on one continent (proposed). The pipes are only so wide.
Old 2012-02-23, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #664
Wakken
Sergeant

News from Smed via email!

"We are actively working on a way to let everyone play together."

at least thats some kind of progress

Reality is simply an unrealistic version of online gaming.

Last edited by Wakken; 2012-02-23 at 01:02 PM.
Old 2012-02-23, 01:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #665
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Wakken View Post

Old 2012-02-23, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #666
Raymac
Brigadier General

To me, it sounds like having International Servers is the best "split the baby" solution. This way you still have the regional servers for the ping whores and primetime players like myself, but you still have a place for the people more concerned with playing with their international buddies to enjoy the game. Really sounds like a win-win solution if they can make it happen.

As for the issues with Pro7Sat1 as a company, well no corporation is beautiful. I'd say as long as they aren't trading in blood diamonds or chemical weapons, they are about the same as any other evil corporation, SOE included.

Old 2012-02-23, 01:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #667
Mirror
First Sergeant

Will be good to hear what they come back with and I hope its the right news for everyone but in particular Planetside 2 and that it won't be region locked.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-02-23, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #668
Mirror
First Sergeant

This is what we want.

GIVE US WHAT WE WANT!!!!!!

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-02-23, 01:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #669
Sta
Private

"And regarding IP-Lock and account-concerns: We are currently in discussion with SOE about that and might come up with a solution all SOE-Players will like."

From Prosieben community manager

http://en.alaplaya.net/forum/general...2961-s100.html
lol, that guy calls them 16 old wow kiddies..And yeah forum looks pretty much like that! At least the community manager coldor does it job by saying :" And regarding IP-Lock and account-concerns: We are currently in discussion with SOE about that and might come up with a solution all SOE-Players will like"

Last edited by Sta; 2012-02-23 at 01:12 PM.
Old 2012-02-23, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #670
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by EZShot View Post
I know I shoulda searched. Just wanted to say "ping"...it's a fun word

I also know that the pings were fine on the servers cross-continent. But this game supports more than twice the players on one continent (proposed). The pipes are only so wide.
At what point do you expect the pipes to get blocked?

I wait with baited breath.

Anything less than EU and US servers co-existing on the server list is a monumental step backwards, but so long as their solution is practical and easily accessible, I'll be over the moon.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-02-23 at 01:11 PM.
Old 2012-02-23, 01:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #671
Sta
Private

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
AGREEEEEEEEE

Last edited by Sta; 2012-02-23 at 01:11 PM.
Old 2012-02-23, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #672
GTGD
First Sergeant

Do you like CSHD?

Would you like CSHD with even shorter TTK?

I know it's hard for most to handle, and I'll miss my EU buddies too, but the game simply can't be done across regions. People would be getting killed around corners before hearing or seeing a shot. Nobody would play a mess of a game like that.

I see people whipping out their pings, but it really doesn't matter that you have just under 100 ping with your 100mbps connection. Most people don't have connections that fast, and you're forgetting that their connection matters too. Your 100 ping and their 100 ping together means there is a lot more latency. More latency means you need better prediction in the game engine, and a LOT more processing power. You saw how PS went from running ok to chugging at 15fps during a red alert (not now, when the game was released and people used current hardware). Now imagine that for thousands instead of hundreds of players. It simply won't be possible, especially for the hardware requirements they are touting.
Old 2012-02-23, 01:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #673
DayOne
Captain

Hooray! They realised they are udder tits ( ) for making this mistake!

Bad pun is baahhhhd!

Damn farmyard jokes in my head now.
Old 2012-02-23, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #674
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
Do you like CSHD?

I know it's hard for most to handle, and I'll miss my EU buddies too, but the game simply can't be done across regions. People would be getting killed around corners before hearing or seeing a shot. Nobody would play a mess of a game like that.

I see people whipping out their pings, but it really doesn't matter that you have just under 100 ping with your 100mbps connection. Most people don't have connections that fast, and you're forgetting that their connection matters too. Your 100 ping and their 100 ping together means there is a lot more latency. More latency means you need better prediction in the game engine, and a LOT more processing power. You saw how PS went from running ok to chugging at 15fps during a red alert (not now, when the game was released and people used current hardware). Now imagine that for thousands instead of hundreds of players. It simply won't be possible, especially for the hardware requirements they are touting.
I thought they weren't using CSHD, but some sort of hybrid system?

And I'm pretty sure my connection doesn't even reach double-mbps-digits. Again, how is a double-digit ping from Europe going to affect a triple-digit US player any worse than a triple-digit US player will affect a triple-digit US player?
Old 2012-02-23, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #675
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
Do you like CSHD?

You seem to imply CSHD must be used over SSHD in order to support foreign players.

Well that's complete bollocks, I played almost exclusively on American servers in Global Agenda up to a maximum of 150 ping in the worst case and they used SSHD.

I do chuckle at how you think those of us stating we had low pings in PS had "uber" connections. Mate, I varied between 80-120 ping in PS, and I've never had better than a ~8mb down <1mb up connection, and I live in the UK.

I severely doubt your understanding of server and network architecture allows you to determine that international play would be "impossible".
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion