"The Vanu are techno-religious nut jobs." - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: BEHIND YOU!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-29, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: "The Vanu are techno-religious nut jobs."

Yeah, it's sounding like we'll be more aggressive this time around. Or at least thinking more long term. Works fine for me, I'm just hoping that "religious" in this case is more Zen and less Judeo-Christian.
Old 2011-09-30, 12:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Krowe
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Yeah, it's sounding like we'll be more aggressive this time around. Or at least thinking more long term. Works fine for me, I'm just hoping that "religious" in this case is more Zen and less Judeo-Christian.
Zen?

I'm sorry, the Vanu don't strike me as calm tea-drinkers, they strike me as futuristic Al Qaeda/IRA. If they aren't depicted as borderline mentally unstable and fanatical then I'll be severely disappointed.
Old 2011-09-30, 01:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

As in the pursuit of an idea or state of being, rather than a deity. You people are not doing well with metaphors today.
Old 2011-09-30, 03:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
Gotta say, this thread is full of epic win. Keep it up.

Btw, I've always felt that the Empires go like this:

Terran Republic fight to bring peace and order to Auraxis, under the Iron Fist of their rule.

The New Conglomerate just wish for the ability to freely live their lives without the oversight of a government body watching their every action.

The Vanu Sovereignty see themselves as the future of humanity, a glorious combination of mankind and hyperadvanced technology.

The TR see the NC as anarchists and the VS as rogue technozealots who pay no heed to just how dangerous this technology may be.

The NC view the TR as a remnant of the oppressive regime they hoped to escape from through the wormhole and the VS as another faction just as oppressive under a different cause.

The VS view the TR as a government too afraid of progress, and the NC as a radical element that in the future may come to directly compete with their monopoly on technology.

At least, those are my personal opinions. No doubt the story will be a bit fleshed out come release.
This falls pretty closeley in line with my idea of each factions views of themselves and others, except for your description of how the VS view the NC.

The way I see it, the VS view the NC as a bunch of directionaless anarchists with no ambition who are just squandering away their lives in a hedonistic pursuit of perpetual self-interest with no concern for the consequences their actions may have on the rest of society.

Kinda like an empire full of 30-year old high school dropouts still living in their mommy's basements and spending all day either playing on their XBox's or surfing p0rn, and going clubbing every night totally sloshed looking for a fix or trying to pick up chix.

I think the Vanu are more afraid the NC are heading down a path that leads to a cataclysmic collapse of their empire down into the Dark Ages, and that if left unchecked they'll pull the rest of Humanity down with them.

Last edited by Erendil; 2011-09-30 at 03:29 AM.
Old 2011-09-30, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Captain B
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
Kinda like an empire full of 30-year old high school dropouts still living in their mommy's basements and spending all day either playing on their XBox's or surfing p0rn, and going clubbing every night totally sloshed looking for a fix or trying to pick up chix.
This is why I joined NC.

Mothers in the house makin' grilled cheeses represent.
Old 2011-09-30, 04:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Krowe View Post
If they aren't depicted as borderline mentally unstable and fanatical then I'll be severely disappointed.
Me too.
Old 2011-09-30, 04:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Tikuto
Major

I like the idea of religion in PlanetSide.

It's part of human nature to worship deity. And Planetside is a new world so an open-mind is a necessity for this 'new world new order'
Old 2011-09-30, 05:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
LordReaver
First Sergeant

The VS have to be religious. If they are just looking for better technology, then why are they incompatible with the other empires? One thing about humans is that no matter what their belief is, they will seek advancement in military technology. Look no further than Native Americans for proof. "We'll give you some guns for a large portion of the land you live off of"..."Consider it yours!"

So the VS being religious really is the best explanation for them.
Old 2011-09-30, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by LordReaver View Post
The VS have to be religious. If they are just looking for better technology, then why are they incompatible with the other empires? One thing about humans is that no matter what their belief is, they will seek advancement in military technology. Look no further than Native Americans for proof. "We'll give you some guns for a large portion of the land you live off of"..."Consider it yours!"

So the VS being religious really is the best explanation for them.
Dogmatic is probably a better word.
The VS are not the Adeptus Mechanicus with their Machine God

But I can see them trying to push for a technological singularity, which ought to be enough to scare the crap out of the other empires. (And with good reason)

Especially since it would be based on alien technology that may or may not be understood correctly...

-Why won't you see that we are doing this for you just as much as for ourselves?? Just look at all this technology the Ancient Vanu left for us! With this, we can become so much more! We can become anything!
-Suuure. So tell me, where are the ancient vanu?
-Surely they must have... ascended to another plane or dimension! We'll see soon enough
-Riiight, we are done here. Open fire, guys

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2011-09-30 at 06:34 AM.
Old 2011-09-30, 06:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Traak
Colonel

LOLz
Old 2011-09-30, 06:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
FastAndFree
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
LOLz
For the record, the TR version would of course be:

-Why wo...
-SURRENDER!!!
-Wait, lis...
-SHOOT TO KILL!!!

Last edited by FastAndFree; 2011-09-30 at 06:57 AM.
Old 2011-09-30, 07:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Traak
Colonel

LOL again. I figure for some players, it would be more like.

Boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom k-shk clack boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom shicka boom k-shk clack

What the heck wuz that?
I dunno. It war kinda parple tho.
Dang, I figger they'll stay off our porch this time though.
Yup, dang techno-reeligious nutjobs.
Old 2011-09-30, 01:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Graywolves
General

/startsarcasm

ok the Vanu Sovereignty are just fanatical scientists who strongly revere an ancient culture that no one's ever seen. Since neither the NC or the TR would put this ancient race on top of their agenda of things to do after the wormhole collapsed cutting them from civilization or after a bunch of rebels striked up an insurrection against the Terran Republic. All their equipment and uniforms are inspired by this race of people and their technologies.

They're just killing anyone who doesn't believe the Vanu's knowledge that doesn't come first.

/end

To me there's a line between pushing for progress and defecting just to start an empire based entirely on the technologies of an ancient people.
Old 2011-09-30, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Xyntech
Brigadier General

A mockup of some recruitment taglines for the three empires:

The Terran Republic needs you! Fight to bring unity, that we may annihilate the traitorous New Conglomerate and the zealots of the Vanu Sovereignty.

Answer the call of the New Conglomerate! Fight for our freedom, to liberate us from the tyranny of the Terran Republic and the dogmatism of the Vanu Sovereignty.

Embrace the glory of the Vanu Sovereignty! Fight in the name of progress, against the stagnation of the Terran Republic and the anarchy of the New Conglomerate.
Old 2011-09-30, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
This falls pretty closeley in line with my idea of each factions views of themselves and others, except for your description of how the VS view the NC.

The way I see it, the VS view the NC as a bunch of directionaless anarchists with no ambition who are just squandering away their lives in a hedonistic pursuit of perpetual self-interest with no concern for the consequences their actions may have on the rest of society.

I think the Vanu are more afraid the NC are heading down a path that leads to a cataclysmic collapse of their empire down into the Dark Ages, and that if left unchecked they'll pull the rest of Humanity down with them.
I suppose that could be right, but I always felt that the VS were not too far from the TR in terms of control, just with a different goal, and they see the NC as a rogue element that may threaten their cause. But, I suppose we'll find out how they really feel come release.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion