What are your concerns about ps2? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: No, this isn't your quote either. Stop refreshing.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-12, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Klockan
First Sergeant

Re: What are your concerns about ps2?

Originally Posted by Russ View Post
My biggest concern is really balancing classes. I feel it will be really easy for classes like HA to get OP really fast then get nerfed to almost uselessness. Same goes with the infiltrator, where right now i only see them as beign scouts and using their riffles to zoom in on an area to get intel... and maybe do some counter sniper activity but not really get anything in terms of points for doing so.

Granted i still think being a scout is viable, your faction really needs good intel to counter attacks or to attack properly, but for the average PuG who needs to level up they may become useless.
You get spotting assist points when people kill stuff you spotted, so yes you get points for it. Also the classes can't be that unbalanced in this game since they all fill different roles so they are good in different situations. If HA's turns out to be the most played class it wouldn't be wrong since they are the standard grunts with nothing special at all and then we have specialized soldiers to support the grunts. There are situations where each class excel, the HA is just the most average since he can always provide lots of firepower without being limp like the MAX but on the other hand there is like no situation where the HA is the best class to be.
Old 2012-07-12, 10:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

The only thing that really annoys me enough that I won't wait until Beta to voice it is the instant gratification PS2 appears to have adopted for CoD and Halo. I really hate giant poster boards popping up on the screen every time I kill a few people in a row. I'd rather they kept the rewards from PS1 and saved the congratulations for when I've killed 500 aircraft in my mossie.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams
Old 2012-07-12, 10:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

I thought the title of this thread was: "What are your concerns about ps2?".

Not: "What are your concerns about what others are posting as concerns about ps2?"
Old 2012-07-12, 10:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrBloodworth View Post
I thought the title of this thread was: "What are your concerns about ps2?".

Not: "What are your concerns about what others are posting as concerns about ps2?"
This is a discussion forum, not a blog. This is a discussion thread where we discuss our concerns about PS2, not a billboard where we just post and read concerns.

Anyhow, my largest concerns are lag and that the resource trickle might go too fast which would result in vehicle spam. Vehicles are nice but they shouldn't be the only way to fight outside.
Old 2012-07-12, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I'll give it a shot in beta before making any actual judgements, but I'm genuinely concerned about one-man ES tanks crowding out any semblance of an outdoor infantry game. Because why run around as infantry when you can drive around as infantry IN a tank, with more armor and bigger guns? Nothing I've seen in play footage has really posed a compelling balance reason against it.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
I'll give it a shot in beta before making any actual judgements, but I'm genuinely concerned about one-man ES tanks crowding out any semblance of an outdoor infantry game. Because why run around as infantry when you can drive around as infantry IN a tank, with more armor and bigger guns? Nothing I've seen in play footage has really posed a compelling balance reason against it.
My hopes is that people wont have the resources to buy a tank every time they want to go outside a base, that would fix this issue.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Klockan View Post
My hopes is that people wont have the resources to buy a tank every time they want to go outside a base, that would fix this issue.
It may "fix" the issue, but it doesn't *fix* the issue.

In other words, it may keep tank use down, but I reject the notion that solo tank >>>>>> infantry in power. If you want a large power differential, you need to be talking about a piece of equipment that requires teamwork.

Otherwise, the gameplay formula simply becomes "footzerg to acquire resources through combat -> pull tank -> crush everything." And that's not cool.
Old 2012-07-12, 11:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
It may "fix" the issue, but it doesn't *fix* the issue.

In other words, it may keep tank use down, but I reject the notion that solo tank >>>>>> infantry in power. If you want a large power differential, you need to be talking about a piece of equipment that requires teamwork.

Otherwise, the gameplay formula simply becomes "footzerg to acquire resources through combat -> pull tank -> crush everything." And that's not cool.
Tanks should beat infantry in large open spaces, that is their role and if they couldn't fill that role why even have tanks? In tighter spaces the tank is toast though. It is funny that you bring this up since others have voiced concerns that tanks are too weak in this game.

Last edited by Klockan; 2012-07-12 at 11:56 AM.
Old 2012-07-12, 01:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

This is a discussion forum, not a blog.
Yes, but this THREAD on this forum was intended to be a quick list of concerns. Not a debate about what people are posting.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Gammit10
Sergeant

Base cap wack-a-mole - it currently looks way too easy to attack, and very difficult to mount a coordinated defense.

Tank drivers as gunners and the ease of getting a tank - this one is a biggie having the pilot accessing weapons that can oneshot infantry

Bailing from ground vehicles; being able to instantly get out even at very low health means you are rarely going to be able to catch someone in a tank about to die provided they aren't retarded/afk.

It gets worse if the guy is in rexo, as he can pop out with his av weapon and finish off your vehicle/max like mat did in his latest vid, this is a pain that anyone who has used AA against reavers and mossies felt in ps1 at some point; you cant help but feel a little cheated if you have took something to near death and suddenly the pilot pops out for his 'second life'.

Rexo armor shouldn't be able to pilot tanks/heavy vehicles much in the way they cannot in ps1.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Enzo
Private

My only main concern at this point is faction population balance. The last couple of MMO's that I played had their PvP ruined because of getting steamrolled by superior numbers.

Getting spawn camped in SWToR's Illum for days on end comes to mind.

Hopefully having 3 factions should help to prevent one faction from becoming too powerful and I'm assuming they will have a system in place such as PS1's exp bonuses.
Old 2012-07-12, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Baron
First Sergeant

Oh yea, and what seemed to be:

7) Unlimited sprinting
Old 2012-07-12, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
NEWSKIS
Corporal

Personally I think if there arent animations for entering/exiting a vehicle, it should take the same amount of time as in PS1. To go along with that, heavy assault shouldnt be able to drive/pilot anything. The above two points go together in what others have said. You shouldnt be able to instantly bail out of an almost dead tank and fire a missle at another vehicle. That is something that definitely needs a change.

Along with the heavy assault driving/piloting. Imagine in PS1 if there wasnt a restriction on rexo flying aircraft? There would be almost no reason whatsoever to use a galaxy as a transport (maxes being the exception, and even then no one would use a galaxy just for two maxes). Restrict this to classes lighter than heavy assault so that troop transport are more effective than just individual aircraft.
Old 2012-07-12, 03:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Tanks should beat infantry in large open spaces, that is their role and if they couldn't fill that role why even have tanks? In tighter spaces the tank is toast though. It is funny that you bring this up since others have voiced concerns that tanks are too weak in this game.
Sure -- tanks seem weak compared to tanks. Tanks are ludicrously strong compared to infantry. Both infantry and tanks require one man to operate in their primary role.

Also, it's my opinion that, while yes, tanks should dominate in open spaces, it should be balanced against the requirement of a multi-man crew to do so, not simply "oh, the only way they're disadvantaged is in tight spaces."

2-3 people operating a vehicle? That vehicle can be STRONG. It's got 2-3 people working as a team to get there! 1 person operating a vehicle? Shouldn't be much more durable or firepower-laden than a MAX suit, because MAXes also require resources and only one person to operate.
Old 2012-07-12, 03:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
kertvon
Sergeant

- Lack of enter/exit animations and general bailing from enclosed vehicles with no physically possible means of doing so. Also pulling weapons mid air while parachuting/jumpjetting... There should be a delay between jumping out of an aircraft and equipping a weapon. Not because "its not fair", but because it is lame.
- Bad/cheap mechanics(ie. loopzooking, bail and C4, etc.)
- Dumbing down of rich game play in favor of arcade style twitch play on a bigger more "tactical" scale.
- Epic size zerging with disregard to orgranized team play
- Over the top customization. Some say it won't get abused, but apparently people have never played CoD before... If it is possible, it will be abused...

I just hope the game keeps the same feel as the original. It was a great game, and while I know SOE is trying to make a popular title and make money, I just hope PS hasn't "sold out".

I am holding all judgement until beta. The devs are totally cool and I will remain optimistic that they will deliver possibly the greatest game ever made.

Last edited by kertvon; 2012-07-12 at 03:18 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion