Remove KDR - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Why can't I play the DEV Empire...?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-03-20, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Guys... It's to affect, not to effect. With an a. It means to influence something. Has nothing to do with the effect. I read that a lot lately. Thank you

.sent via phone.

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2013-03-20 at 04:00 PM.
Old 2013-03-20, 03:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

Damn double post... Wanted to edit, sorry...

Last edited by Sturmhardt; 2013-03-20 at 03:59 PM.
Old 2013-03-20, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
SternLX
Sergeant

Re: Remove KDR

Too be completely honest. The most important metric to me is my Damage given vs Damage received. That gives me a better idea of how I am performing personally. Also the K+A/D metric to some extent.

Looking at my stats recently I feel accomplished in knowing I have caused more damage and destruction than I have taken.

One could say I live for the assists. Assists being team oriented and all.
Old 2013-03-20, 04:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
camycamera
Major

K/D ratio does heavily influence some people from say, the CoD crowd, as they claim it is a measure of skill. fucking idiots, it is all of their faults.

AND OMG LOOK AT MAH K/D I MUST SUCK WHY AM I PLAYING THIS GAME

that is the reaction they get when their K/D is low.
Old 2013-03-20, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
I like how you try to talk for everyone when you have people in this very thread that do worry about their K/D and mostly only because it is a stat that is shown.

Also I have seen streams of people that if they die repeatedly they go somewhere else... not because they want a challenge... no, they want to get easy kills. Just because you claim that KDR doesn't affect you doesn't make it true for the other 99% of the people playing the game.
K guess I should just give up then. Clearly I'm the 1% who doesn't give a fuck about KDR because as I've made my argument over and over that it has very little to do with gameplay I still seem to be ignored. I'll be sure to add in my signature that I speak for myself, but I assumed that was a given on these forums.

Your complaint is that people are not
effectively contributing to your faction
and I'm trying to get to the real root of the problem that they HAVE NO REASON TO CONTRIBUTE.
They gain absolutely nothing from contributing to their faction compared to just killing people. The only gains you can have in Planetside 2 come from expierence and certification gain. Those come faster and more consistently from farming (XP, KDR, whatever) than contributing to your faction.

If people don't understand that than whatever. It's a shame because most people on here do nothing but bitch about the lack of metagame, which is the only reason this KDR discussion is even brought up. Yet in this thread people say "COD KIDS" rather than just continuing to point at the true problem of PS2, the lack of incentive to complete any objective.

You shouldn't be concerned with why people care about their KDR, you should be concerned with why they don't care about the objectives of PS2.
Old 2013-03-20, 05:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

The reset ability is a defacto removal of K/D

Thats good enough.
Old 2013-03-20, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Climhazzard
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
Removing K/D without removing Death´s solves nothing.
In all the discussions I've seen about K/D, someone inevitably proposes removing Deaths, too. Oddly, nobody proposes removing Kills. Why is that?

Originally Posted by MrVicchio View Post
K/D is a problem for the insecure.
It's amusing how well that statement works against both sides of the argument.

Originally Posted by Dragonskin View Post
Score per minute is also trash. [...] In Planetside 2 it could have been a good metric, but was screwed over when they decided to put implants and membership boosts in the game.
SOE realizes this. They have plans to remove boosts and member benefits from affecting a character's Score.

Originally Posted by DrankTHEKoolaid View Post
1. Removing KD would obviously imply removing the death stat as well, I thought that kind of went without saying lol.
But why just Deaths? Why not Kills, too?

2. For those saying you use KD to track your progress... really? You need a stat to tell you that you're improving?
Businesses and professional athletes compare their most recent performance numbers with past performance numbers to figure out whether what they're doing now is better or worse than what they were doing before.

Regular people do this, too, by, for example, comparing their finances now to their finances in the past. If you have less money now than you did in the past, it's wise to figure out why that is and what you can do to correct it, if necessary.

3. Many people said to me after this video that camping hundreds of meters from the fight is because of certs not KD, look at games like Battlefield, (closest thing we have to PS2) there are no certs yet people still take a tank and sit on a hill hundreds of meters away. It's because they want a better KD.
I don't play BF3, but don't they also get XP for various things? Why do you assume that bettering their K/D is the sole, or even primary, reason that these people were engaging in those tactics?

I have to concur with others that K/D is a red herring, a scapegoat. People understand that the more time you spend dead, the less time you spend gaining XP and, therefore, CP.

Playing the objective is less rewarding than sitting back and killing the enemy when XP/CP are the primary means of advancement.

Originally Posted by NotTheMomma View Post
I skimmed through the thread, and I think you have all completely lost focus on the point. No matter how you feel about KDR, this is what is the issue: SOE wants to sell the ability for players to directly manipulate their statistics without playing the game. WHAT KIND OF REVISIONIST BS IS THAT?!
It's revisionist bullshit that has no meaningful impact on any human endeavor. If K/D is meaningless, why are people so upset that others can simply reset it? Let people type in their own K/D for all I care...

Last edited by Climhazzard; 2013-03-20 at 06:27 PM.
Old 2013-03-20, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Climhazzard View Post
It's revisionist bullshit that has no meaningful impact on any human endeavor. If K/D is meaningless, why are people so upset that others can simply reset it? Let people type in their own K/D for all I care...
Precisely.
Old 2013-03-20, 06:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Assist
Contributor
Major

From the PS2 official forums:

Originally Posted by "BuzzCutPsycho
Risk / Reward needs to come from a meta-game with meaning not some COD K/D bull sh*t.

Originally Posted by "SKYeXile
What sort of person would pay for this?

oh wait...

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3...ats/234889457/
lols, always those damn CoD/BF kids ruin PS2! This is what happens when people stereotype a group, they look like tools while they do it and look like even bigger tools when they're exposed for being a giant fraud
Old 2013-03-20, 06:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Neutral Calypso
Sergeant Major

I am not sure whether K/D needs to be removed or not.

It would be nice to see a "health healed/repaired" stat though. Is that there? I haven't checked stats in a while.
Old 2013-03-20, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I couldn't really care any less. You can never truly remove K/D from the game, even if you remove the stat.
If they want to make some money off of people who care about their K/D, be my guest.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-03-20, 08:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Vashyo
First Sergeant

I don't understand why this is loathed so badly, it's yet another source of income for the welfare of this game...don't people want this game to succeed?

It's a vanity item anyway, it's not gonna affect anyone expect the people who look at other people's stats and get all jelly and complain about it and the person that feels insecure about himself and has to buy it so he can try again to be the "L33T pwnz0rz 4 LyFe!".

Last edited by Vashyo; 2013-03-20 at 08:47 PM.
Old 2013-03-20, 09:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

If they remove K/D they should remove all player performance stats. Likewise if they make K/D something you can reset all the player performance stats should be able to be reset.

Odds are some third party will come in and fill the gap and provide player stats like K/D somehow if it's removed anyway.
Old 2013-03-20, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Ghoest9
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Sturmhardt View Post
Guys... It's to affect, not to effect. With an a. It means to influence something. Has nothing to do with the effect. I read that a lot lately. Thank you

.sent via phone.
"to effect" can be correct.
Its also a verb meaning "bring about" or "cause."

I have no idea what specific use you were referring to since you didnt quote it. Im just talking about what you said.
Old 2013-03-20, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Dragonskin
Major

Originally Posted by Ghoest9 View Post
"to effect" can be correct.
Its also a verb meaning "bring about" or "cause."

I have no idea what specific use you were referring to since you didnt quote it. Im just talking about what you said.
Players are affected by KDR displays.

Kill whoring is an effect of KDR displays.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion