TR Max lockdown - Not again! - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Two drink minimum.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-02, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Re: TR MAX LOCKDOWN - NOT AGAIN!

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Ok so if the TR have to lock down to be effective how do we attack with MAXes?
you've literally just destroyed your own argument it's not balanced if it's shit when unlocked and uber when locked
I didn't say "balanced around attacking", I said "balanced". With a faster TTK, guarding your rear and flanks will be even more important than in PS1. Bring TR MAXs in behind your attacking troops and let them secure the rear and flanking hallways where you're vulnerable. The benefits when defending a base should be obvious. That's not inferior, it's just different.
Old 2011-10-02, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Honestly you guys can't really know if lockdown is going to be useless this time around untill you see what the terrain is going to look like.

Alot of the balance issues are do to lack of cover. All I've been reading is the TR wanting a max that does the same thing as the NC. It's a scatmax no one wants that. So the TR max is super great at D, Try defending as a Scat or worse a quasar with a low ceiling.

The whole point of different empires is different playstyles and stratagies, If you want a max that can lololol rush in and get 4 kills play NC this time around. Otherwise learn, adapt to your Empire's playstyle and quit complaining about how your MAX can't do everything the others can. They can't make wall.

You all sound pretty lame bellyaching about balance already when you don't even know how it is going to be implemented into the game. We don't even know what bases look like yet!
Old 2011-10-02, 11:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Captain B
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post
We don't even know what bases look like yet!
Wrong! They look AWESOME!

Seriously, without the open railing on those towers (they seem to be providing way more cover this time around), I bet a locked-down TR MAX could do some nasty work to incoming infantry and vehicles from below.
Old 2011-10-03, 01:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Graywolves
General

1. Starting your post with "TR Whining" pretty much just makes no one read your post.

2. It actually is easier to defend with a scatmax or quasar....especially the scatmax...

Anchor down >> Get hit by deci >> unanchor and move/get hit again or sit there and keep pressing fire/die unless you have 3 repairs on you.

I've already stated problems in my post as well as others. Lockdown is cool and intimidating but it pretty much ends there. Please don't attempt to contribute to confusion and misunderstandings by saying "x is better than y" and then continuing your post through flaming.

And claiming single situations doesn't contribute either. 2 TR killed 5 VS hacking an NC base last night but it doesn't mean anything is OP or UP.
Old 2011-10-03, 01:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Marsgrim View Post
You cannot seriously be proposing to keep the TR MAX lockdown. It doesn;t matter what has changed in the game design/engine, the fundemental rule of an FPS is stationary = dead.

The idea in PS was horribly thought out, incredibly poorly balanced and one of the universally agreed flaws - the DC has to lockdown to acheive the same TTK as a moving Scatmax, which has a shield to eat a deci. This is why the TR have comparitively fewer MAXes at this stage in the game.

The only way this is remotely viable is if they got significant shield/health improvements, but even then it just makes whoever is using it too easy a target.

Please, please, please, please reconsider. This is something I will bet now you get pleaded to change in beta - start thinking of the alternatives!!
Bullshit. I played TR from beta. And i did very well with the max units. It was similar to playing a sniper. You had to plan your attacks, execute and not stay i one spot to long. It was about stick and move and use of instincts in battle. The only thing horribly thought out is your game play habits and need for a rock paper scissors style of game so your feelings dont get hurt when you suck.
Old 2011-10-03, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Marsgrim
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
I didn't say "balanced around attacking", I said "balanced". With a faster TTK, guarding your rear and flanks will be even more important than in PS1. Bring TR MAXs in behind your attacking troops and let them secure the rear and flanking hallways where you're vulnerable. The benefits when defending a base should be obvious. That's not inferior, it's just different.
And the TR AV MAXes do what exactly on offense if dependant on lockdown to be effective?? How do TR troops break down the defensive MAXes in front of them when assaulting a base if their own MAX iis only of use defensively?? What stops the NC and VS deploying a lot of MAXes in a base defense knowing the TR will struggle to counter them because their own MAXes are designed to be "at the back and flanks"?

It's all far too early to talk about as we don't know the detail of PS2, however my argument is about the concept of lockdown and lack of mobility and it doesn't matter how good the MAX is when locked down, it is such a situational ability that it will be of limited use given the risk involved.
Old 2011-10-03, 05:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Fuck balance, give me Iron Man armor.

Old 2011-10-03, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

I hope this doesn't mean that we'll have to put up with the unbalanced flying MAXes again as well?!!! Don't make the same mistakes twice!
Old 2011-10-03, 07:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Kalbuth
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by KornDemon View Post
I hope this doesn't mean that we'll have to put up with the unbalanced flying MAXes again as well?!!! Don't make the same mistakes twice!
You'll have flying infantry as well, on top of it, KD
Old 2011-10-03, 07:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Papscal View Post
Bullshit. I played TR from beta. And i did very well with the max units. It was similar to playing a sniper. You had to plan your attacks, execute and not stay i one spot to long. It was about stick and move and use of instincts in battle. The only thing horribly thought out is your game play habits and need for a rock paper scissors style of game so your feelings dont get hurt when you suck.
Call me old fashioned but i'd like my heaviest troopers to be the most suited to charging in first, what's the point of a heavy unit that can't charge in and break lines?

The fact that they sucked unlocked and lockdown was situational is why the TR didn't use MAXes to anywhere near the numbers VS and NC rolled.
Yes a defensive pounder is a beast but because of that TR MAXes sucked overall, you can't balance lockdown
Old 2011-10-03, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Kalbuth View Post
You'll have flying infantry as well, on top of it, KD
I think I can handle those.
Old 2011-10-03, 08:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
moosepoop
Captain

vs max- can fly and dodge decimator
nc max - can shield up and take direct hit
tr max - no defence, has to stand still to be effective

for survivability, tr maxes need a defensive bonus when locked down. maybe regeneration, armor bonus, etc.

personally, i think it would be easier to balance if you remove lock down, and improve overdrive.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2011-10-03 at 08:14 AM.
Old 2011-10-03, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Kalbuth
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Call me old fashioned but i'd like my heaviest troopers to be the most suited to charging in first, what's the point of a heavy unit that can't charge in and break lines?

The fact that they sucked unlocked and lockdown was situational is why the TR didn't use MAXes to anywhere near the numbers VS and NC rolled.
Yes a defensive pounder is a beast but because of that TR MAXes sucked overall, you can't balance lockdown
I can understand it, but for the Burster case. Call me crazy, but after years of trying to use all 3 AA MAXes, Burster is the most efficient for me. The NC AA is simply a joke, the VS AA is usefull for scaring away, the TR AA is the one actually efficient at killing its prey.
In fact, of all my characters on different empires on different servers, the only one having MAX cert is the TR one, I enjoy playing them better than the others.
Old 2011-10-03, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Traak
Colonel

This reminds me of a good new voice macro:

Clear the firing lane!
Old 2011-10-03, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

/facepalm.. Unreal
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion