7/21/2012 Tech Test Stream in progress - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Obamarama!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-21, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Carnage
Sergeant

Re: 7/21/2012 Tech Test Stream in progress

awe man I only just got up... your awesome rTekku, did you get most of it? (still uploading atm)
Old 2012-07-21, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant

The TTK in PS1 was not too long. The TTK in Higby's stream looked ok tho, didn't seem overly fast to me.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Galzus
Corporal

Getting shot at by one guy kills you too fast, I would hate to be shot at by two or more... not looking fun. Hope they slow it down a lot before I get play.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Badjuju
First Sergeant

I think PS1s TTK wasn't too high because of the game style/shooting mechanics. If they used that TTK with PS2 which, has more of a modern/realistic style to it, where accuracy has been greatly increased, I think it would be terrible. Right now I think it looks pretty good IMO, but well have wait for beta to know for sure how it feels.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Carnage
Sergeant

ROFLMFAO at Higby getting Tbagged by Stargazer at his 1st death a minute in...
Old 2012-07-21, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Galzus View Post
Getting shot at by one guy kills you too fast, I would hate to be shot at by two or more... not looking fun. Hope they slow it down a lot before I get play.
I hope they make the TTK a little faster. Being shot at by 2 guys with short TTK you have a chance of taking one down if you're skilled. With long TTK you have no chance of killing either of them.

It's nice that there's a clear difference between the TTK on an Infiltrator and a HA though. I think the people who want long TTK can just roll HA and be fine.
Old 2012-07-22, 12:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
When we're talking longer TTK's, we're talking massive imbalances in weaponry. HA were clearly superior to MA in just about every way. You very much could live long enough running from cover to cover, recovering when needed, until you were in range for your HA. It was too freaking easy.

My gun WILL NOT hit harder simply because I want it to. The MA were weak for all intents and purposes. If your sorry ass has your back to me and you're unaware of my presence, it shouldn't be up for debate: you die.

Ever wonder why newbs had such a hard time getting into PS1? Part of it very much was the bull-$#!% of dying in situations where logic dictates one should have won. HA was king in PS1 for a reason: it had the fastest TTK. I pretty much quit PS1 when I shoved my cycler up someone's ass, pinning them into a corner, and unloading and STILL dying to their jackhammer. Yeah, nothing involving skill there, just bull-$#!%.

When every weapon has a low TTK, this disparity isn't so jarringly obvious. I'd like my newbs to enjoy their experience without being forced into HA to kill anything. In a timely manner even. I remember actually getting into MA fights, and more often than not I could count out the seconds while pelting away at someone. That's rather absurd.

HA in this iteration will likely be more about the quantity of people one can kill before reloading, as opposed to simply killing them faster.

ADADADADAD while maintaining your cross-hairs on your opponent might be called skill, but it isn't the type of "skill" most people enjoy in today's gaming market. In my opinion, it looked stupid in PS1, and will look even dumber in PS2.
You never stopped to think why HA was so dominant in PS1, did you? It wasn't just inherently better than MA in every situation. The reason HA was so dominant in PS was because of the poor base design. The claustrophobic base design, small corridors/stairswells and ever prevalent towers that were placed all over the map lent themselves very well to HA. When you took your Jackhammer outside, it was a different story. You'd get owned by MA.

All the people who cry imbalance on things don't take into account all the possible facets that make it that way. HA was only as dominant as it was because base fights and tower fights were ever prevalent in the game. If bases had been designed to be more wide open, or if they went like a territory capture approach a la PS2, it would've a been a different story.

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
Oh, I'm not asking for instant TTK's. In CoD, the difference between assault rifles, SMG's, and handguns was essentially ADS zoom and movement speed.

But the TTK's in PS1 were simply too long, and actually, a good part of that wasn't the weapons themselves, but the rexo buff when surgile was the bread and butter of the NC war machine. Going from 8 damage mitigation to 10 damage mitigation threw balance way out of whack when it was perfect before. EVERY infantry weapon was balanced around 8 mitigation. 8 mitigation also made rexo a toss up to agile then. Now, everyone just goes rexo if they're ever planning on fighting outside of a closed cockpit vehicle.

I like where PS2's TTK's seem to be at. Maybe a little more hp overall, I would like to see the bar actually move instead of going from full to empty the second the shield drops, but otherwise, I'm pretty happy with current life expectancy, yet this is based on videos. Also note that life spans increase due to inherently iffy but not incredibly CoDtastic weapon accuracy - another way of artificially lengthening TTK, with out actually making anyone more durable.

As I said, HA in this game will likely be built on the volume of people they can kill before reloading, if they need to reload at all, making their real strength sustained fire. The MCG for example may very well pack 300-500 rounds in a single drum and that's all the wielder gets.
I think one thing you (and several other people) don't take into account when praising the current TTK is how many players are playing now and how many there will be when the game is released. As of right now we've seen very small skirmishes on a lightly populated technical test. You can't expect an accurate representation of how the TTKs will fair once the game is released. The TTKs don't seem that low to your right now because battles are far and few between. The occasional person bumping into one another.

This can even being applied to PS1. The TTKs for the game were balanced around the fact that there would be thousands of players all shooting off their weapons. It was expected that 10 people would all be firing on one person, so the weapons were balanced accordingly. When populations decreased and large scale battles became more scarce, the longer TTK started to stand out more.

So to reiterate, the TTKs may seem fine to you right now because this game isn't playing at it's true potential yet. You're not taking into account that people are going to be shot at by thousands of other players. It just seems goofy right now that this game has a BF/CoD esque TTK to it's weapons. People are getting instant killed and this is only a technical test with low populations filled with people who haven't the slightest clue what they're doing. What do you think will happen when pops increase and the general skill level increases? I'll tell you what will happen: The game will be boring as fuck. It will just turn into a campfest like COD/BF are. People fear the fast TTK and will camp to prevent constant deaths.

Look at hardcore mode in BF. While there isn't a whole lot of leeway for the speed of the TTK in BF to begin with, there's arguably more camping on hardcore servers than compared to normal servers. When all weapons vaporize you in a matter of seconds people to start to wise off and play it more safe (*cough* camping *cough) and as a result, you get a really boring game.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
Old 2012-07-22, 12:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by rTekku View Post
My footage is currently uploading/processing. Got about 50 mins.

Planetside 2 Live Stream 7/21/12 - YouTube
Oh HELL yes! I missed the part where they were fighting in the biodome! Thanks much for this.

/genuflects
Old 2012-07-22, 12:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
noxious
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
I think one thing you (and several other people) don't take into account when praising the current TTK is how many players are playing now and how many there will be when the game is released. As of right now we've seen very small skirmishes on a lightly populated technical test. You can't expect an accurate representation of how the TTKs will fair once the game is released. The TTKs don't seem that low to your right now because battles are far and few between. The occasional person bumping into one another.

This can even being applied to PS1. The TTKs for the game were balanced around the fact that there would be thousands of players all shooting off their weapons. It was expected that 10 people would all be firing on one person, so the weapons were balanced accordingly. When populations decreased and large scale battles became more scarce, the longer TTK started to stand out more.

So to reiterate, the TTKs may seem fine to you right now because this game isn't playing at it's true potential yet. You're not taking into account that people are going to be shot at by thousands of other players. It just seems goofy right now that this game has a BF/CoD esque TTK to it's weapons. People are getting instant killed and this is only a technical test with low populations filled with people who haven't the slightest clue what they're doing. What do you think will happen when pops increase and the general skill level increases? I'll tell you what will happen: The game will be boring as fuck. It will just turn into a campfest like COD/BF are. People fear the fast TTK and will camp to prevent constant deaths.

Look at hardcore mode in BF. While there isn't a whole lot of leeway for the speed of the TTK in BF to begin with, there's arguably more camping on hardcore servers than compared to normal servers. When all weapons vaporize you in a matter of seconds people to start to wise off and play it more safe (*cough* camping *cough) and as a result, you get a really boring game.
The mere suggestion that people are going to be shot at by thousands of players at once is so hyperbolic I find it hilarious. At most one person is going to be shot at by tens of people (you only focus enough firepower to instantly kill a target, anything more than that is wasted firepower that could have been used elsewhere). Even if you go up against a mindless zerg, the only reason more than ten or twenty people are going to be shooting at you at once is if there are no other targets, in which case you were going to die regardless.

Let's wait until the testing actually gets to the point where the servers are nearing pop-lock before worrying about the TTK. If it only seems fine right now because there aren't enough people playing, then stress-testing will reveal that. Until then, you're not likely to persuade anyone to champion your cause.
Old 2012-07-22, 12:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

Well TK get ironed out in beta then?
Old 2012-07-22, 12:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Yutty
Sergeant

lol @ 21:42
Old 2012-07-22, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Dagron
Captain

They should put in an emote "/higbymustdie" that makes your character pretend to suicide by shooting himself in the head with his fingers and dropping to the ground for a little while.
Old 2012-07-22, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
TacosWLove
Master Sergeant

I agree, TTK looks way to low. For a large fight looks like its was too fast. Nice footage though. Hope I get the kill command when I get in!
Old 2012-07-22, 01:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Yutty
Sergeant

anyone else find the #'s popping up first in yellow then in blue 1/2 a sec after below kinda redundant?
Old 2012-07-22, 01:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Klockan
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
I'd say that it is the other way around, you want lower TTK the more people you got. In UT, Quake and Halo the long TTK is fine since they are about duels and duels aren't that fun if you die nine times out of ten when you get jumped. But as you add in more people the game stops being about duels and starts being about positioning and teamwork. High TTK in such scenarios favors those who all goes together in a big pile while with low TTK you want to spread out more to cover more angles since concentrated firepower isn't important which means that more tactics will be used. If you want longer TTK you can even play the rexo, their TTK is basically unchanged (They renamed them to MAX units for some reason though).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion