The Reddit Q&A Makes Me Nervous - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Just add water
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-25, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: The Reddit Q&A Makes Me Nervous

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
How about the iron sights thread?

Or the vehicle thread on the front page?
Let me be clear again, just in case...when you guys say "iron sights" you are not referring to the fact that the gun's graphic simply has iron sights on it, but instead you are talking about using aim down sight, instead of a simple optical zoom...right?

Originally Posted by basti View Post
No, but there will be. I gonna start writing that tommorow.
But first, lots of reading stuff again. Oh well.
This is by no means the only manifesto that people at Mordor have done, but here's mine. It doesn't cover every issue. Anyway, I look forward to reading your itemized accounting of PS1 vets

http://forums.electronicarts.co.uk/b...d-council.html
Old 2012-03-25, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by basti View Post
No, but there will be. I gonna start writing that tommorow.
It will be written in blood!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2

Last edited by Brusi; 2012-03-25 at 06:53 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
How about the iron sights thread?

Or the vehicle thread on the front page?
They are "Vets" from PS1 bro, if it changes from ps1 it's bad.

Iron sights - negative.
Vehicles - bring back the ams and buggy.

If you don't agree with anything they say you weren't hardcore enough and didn't love the game enough.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-03-25 at 07:11 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
The are "Vets" from PS1 bro, if it changes from ps1 it's bad.

Iron sights - negative.

If you don't agree with anything they say you weren't hardcore enough and didn't love the game enough.
You said it.
Old 2012-03-25, 07:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Owalpo

Lots of hardcore fans want pretty much PS1 with hd graphics. Understandable, hype like this happens for every sequel.

Tell me then, if this was the case why aren't there 10 servers with hundreds of players on it demanding a graphic revamp as you read this?

The game has and had it problems.

It was a game for that age and PS2 is a game for this age. You have yet to touch it, yet even seen a finished version. Calm down, open the window, look forward to beta and don't let the hype and the "unknown answers" take you over.
Old 2012-03-25, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Ruwyn
Corporal

Originally Posted by Owalpo View Post
Lots of hardcore fans want pretty much PS1 with hd graphics. Understandable, hype like this happens for every sequel.

Tell me then, if this was the case why aren't there 10 servers with hundreds of players on it demanding a graphic revamp as you read this?
because it's pay to play?
Old 2012-03-25, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Ruwyn View Post
because it's pay to play?
No, because the game is ancient and pretty terrible compared to any other FPS on the shelf.
Old 2012-03-25, 09:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

im sure alot of the vets have issues with ps2 gameplay and content.the thing is that vets will make up 1 maybe 2 % of the games total pop.its not that they dont value your opinion, its that your opinion isnt going to help them make money. they must cater to the masses ,and so far they have dont just that.

i come from modern fps games,,,, and when i first saw ps1 i thought to myself ,when they make this into a modern shooter its going to be epic.

ps2 will be like nothing anyone has ever seen before.
Old 2012-03-25, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Rumblepit View Post
im sure alot of the vets have issues with ps2 gameplay and content.the thing is that vets will make up 1 maybe 2 % of the games total pop.its not that they dont value your opinion, its that your opinion isnt going to help them make money. they must cater to the masses ,and so far they have dont just that.

i come from modern fps games,,,, and when i first saw ps1 i thought to myself ,when they make this into a modern shooter its going to be epic.

ps2 will be like nothing anyone has ever seen before.
First: Source? Stats to prove?

Second, even if true, vets themselves may only be 2% but that doesn't mean there won't be a lot of people that agree with them. I have a feeling that most Battlefield 1942/2/2142 vets, were we able to bring them over to Planetside, would for the most part, agree with Planetside 1 vets.

I'm waiting for Basti to write his manifesto of vet views, but I have a feeling I, as a BF vet, am going to agree with 80% of it easily, perhaps more.
Old 2012-03-25, 10:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
They are "Vets" from PS1 bro, if it changes from ps1 it's bad.

Iron sights - negative.

THIS is so true and it is so sad. Every single minor change to the original Planetside (except for the graphics) has been met with resistance from this community. Every...single...time.

This thread is a perfect example of it. People seem to have this tendency to look back at Planetside as this near perfect game, and I can understand that because I love the game as much as anyone. However, we have to keep an open mind about certain things and not blindly shoot down every difference from the original.

I'm also sick and tired of every minor change "destroying what made Planetside great". It's a lame, overused exaggeration.

If the question is "why are we going to fight?" It's for the SAME EXACT REASON we did in Planetside 1. We fight because that is what the game is about. There was no ultimate win in Planetside 1. Even a sanc lock was temporary. In Planetside 2, you will still be able to push the enemy back to their warpgate. So freaking what if the map doesn't change color when you do.

I'm not saying we have to blindly accept every suggestion, but at least stop blindly resisting every change. Think about it critically.

Old 2012-03-25, 10:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Khellendros
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I'm not saying we have to blindly accept every suggestion, but at least stop blindly resisting every change. Think about it critically.
And what is your definition of thinking about it critically? It seems nothing qualifies.
Old 2012-03-25, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by TooFresh View Post
Another thing that I was unsure about and unhappy to have confirmed by the reddit AMA is the fact that every vehicle and class is unlocked to everyone. How are we supposed to have "RPG-style character progression" when you don't have to actually spec into anything?

Isn't the fact that the game is Free To Play enough to make it accessible? Its like they are trying to go for accessibility overload.

If its free and they said no limit on characters then why not make it so you have to spec into classes in addition to spending certs to "sidegrade/upgrade".
There are no "specs", nobody specializes with certs in ps2. Its all unlocks, you can have every single cert in the game all at the same time without giving up a thing. The only custom parts are specific loadouts.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.
Old 2012-03-25, 10:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Khellendros View Post
And what is your definition of thinking about it critically? It seems nothing qualifies.
It's the same definition that anyone has. Simply saying "It's different from Planetside 1" doesn't fit the bill though.

Old 2012-03-25, 10:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
What was broken with the old system of sanctuaries and interconnected continents? Sure it could have used some improvements especially in how the sanctuaries work, but I don't understand why the whole system was thrown out in favor of these new uncaptureable footholds and totally isolated continents.

I'd love to see a short breakdown about it that goes something like "Here's the problems we identified with the old system, here's the solutions we came up with and here's what we hope to have in the end".
Honestly most of the problems didnt really exist. They dont want sancs, so they put up 3 on every single cont? Clearly sancs werent a problem. They function exactly the same as the old ones, just now you have a ton of em instead of just one per faction. Seriously, before you flew(or drove) out of the sanc through a wg to your target cont from the corner wg, now you fly out of your wg sanc from teh corner, the only difference is the loadtime between the gates, thats meaningless for "speeding up gameplay." And all the issues those permanent uncapturable things cause far outweigh that negligible load time elimination.

And yeah unless they come up with somethin much more creative than what they have announced, they will still need to implement a lattice of some sort. Now it would not in the way ps1 did it obviously because it wouldnt work with the new hexes. However somethin that promoted similar gameplay and added similar restrictions will be needed.

I'm pretty sure there are goin to be some major changes to the current systems they have envisioned in order to get the game to function well. We can gripe about the minor stuff all day like we usually do, but these core mechanics are far and away the most important. Without them working right the entire game doesnt function well and no one plays the game or they dont play long term. But thats gonna take beta for them to see the problem, i dont think they will see it like we do til its punchin em in the face on the beta servers.
Waiting for the return of the superior, real PS style teamwork oriented vehicles with drivers not gunning, and in fixed vehicle slots so we can once again have real, epic, vehicle battles where the tanks actually move in combat rather than a silly 1700's era line up and shoot.

Last edited by BorisBlade; 2012-03-25 at 10:39 PM.
Old 2012-03-25, 10:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Shanesan
Sergeant

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
There are no "specs", nobody specializes with certs in ps2. Its all unlocks, you can have every single cert in the game all at the same time without giving up a thing. The only custom parts are specific loadouts.
That's absolutely not true.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...5flxhP0#t=665s

Watch that for about 20 seconds.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion