Ability to toggle 1st/3rd person - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We Love Sporks!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-20, 04:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Re: Ability to toggle 1st/3rd person

Originally Posted by FPClark View Post
I for one am against ANY 3rd person views...Honestly havnt had to switch yet.
Maybe so, but as of right now 3rd person for vehicles is in (sans the PS Live zoom-out).

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-20, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
haticK
First Sergeant

It would be annoying not having 3rd person for vehicles, especially flying ones, and I don't see them removing that feature. I also don't see them adding 3rd person for infantry because that kind of defeats the purpose of calling it a first person shooter game.
Old 2012-07-20, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
SFJake
Sergeant

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
Maybe so, but as of right now 3rd person for vehicles is in (sans the PS Live zoom-out).
It better stay.

Standards have long been that 3rd person in vehicles is mandatory, as playing without it is a pain in the ass for a lot of player, but on foot, 3rd person is considered an unfair advantage.

To be blunt, this is a deal breaker if they removed 3rd person from vehicles, and it might even be a deal breaker that the current 3rd person view stinks and doesn't really allow you to see or aim because the vehicle is almost in the dead center of the screen.

Which is really disappointing right now.
Old 2012-07-20, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by SFJake View Post
To be blunt, this is a deal breaker if they removed 3rd person from vehicles, and it might even be a deal breaker that the current 3rd person view stinks and doesn't really allow you to see or aim because the vehicle is almost in the dead center of the screen.

Which is really disappointing right now.
It's not supposed to allow you to aim; that's what first person is for. As is you can see well enough to navigate and it is possible to avoid getting boomered if your not preoccupied with shooting. It's a driving cam, nothing more.

Old 2012-07-20, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

If they're gonna get rid of 3rd person for vehicles then it'd be nice if they'd smooth out the ride so the jumping picture don't give you a headache while driving and shooting.

kk thanks
Old 2012-07-20, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Tuomio
Private

If your aircraft is crashing into trees, then you might be flying a little bit too low. If you want to pull stunts, you have to learn and only pull them on places you are comfortable with. Risk is part of the deal, you might die but maybe there is rewards also, like your enemy will not follow you?

If you want to land on a dime, well its you wanting to do something silly. I say its best to have same rules for everyone and since 3rd person on infantry is totally out of question once we got it finally purged, i see no option than nobody will have it.

Snapshot camera would be good, it would just save screenshot from several angles, but maybe its not technologically possible.
Old 2012-07-20, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
ratfusion
Corporal

From the videos we've seen they've already figured out that ground vehicles need 3rd person camera.

I'd rather just see it back for everything, corner camping won't be as big of an issue with the new open base layouts.
Old 2012-07-20, 05:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
SFJake
Sergeant

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
It's not supposed to allow you to aim; that's what first person is for. As is you can see well enough to navigate and it is possible to avoid getting boomered if your not preoccupied with shooting. It's a driving cam, nothing more.
And that annoys me. Why is it that one game out of nowhere, decides that you can't aim in 3rd person?

Arbitrary, annoying limitations.
Old 2012-07-20, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

And that annoys me. Why is it that one game out of nowhere, decides that you can't aim in 3rd person?

You either balance vehicles vs. infantry by nerfing vehicles into uselessness or you find other ways to balance vehicles like lower situational awareness for vehicles.
Old 2012-07-20, 05:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

One game? You couldn't aim in 3rd person in the original game and I'm pretty sure that's not a feature of the Battlefield series or Tribes (not counting Ascend).

Old 2012-07-20, 06:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Sifer2
Major

You could also complain its one game out of many that doesn't have fully regenerating health. Lots of people don't like regenerating health, and rightly so. Just cause a lot of other games have it doesn't make it the standard.

3rd person vehicle is just easy mode vehicle as far as i'm concerned. Nothing wrong with having some skill required to drive. And in the process evening the playing field some for Infantry who can have an easier time staying out of sight of Tanks. First person only for all vehicles except the Galaxy an possibly Sunderer would be ideal IMO.
Old 2012-07-20, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

The good thing about tank 3rd person view in PS1 was that it was less jarring on the eyes when just driving around.

Maybe they should just smooth out the jarring in the 1st person, that would be nice.
Old 2012-07-21, 12:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

I was a very open and very vocal opponent of infantry 3PV in PS1 and remain so for PS2. The topic has been hashed over and over and, thankfully, the majority seem to now be on the side that the harm outweighs the good.

I also agree with the trending thoughts on 3PV for vehicles. While I prefer the immersive experience of driving in FPV only, I know I've also got a rat's brain and constantly am making mental terrain maps. For the sake of the simple joy of driving in a shooter, if 3PV is necessary for your average player to drive without constantly being annoyed then so be it.

And, while, some may attempt to use the "Because it makes the game more fun" argument to support infantry, the problem doesn't add up. FPV controls are far more intuitive and organic than game vehicle controls. Players more readily adapt to a FPV only experience when controls are self-referential. Vehicles, as experience (and this thread) shows, have a tendency to turn into a goofy game of PvE bumper cars for a lot of players. The frame of reference is -not- intuitive or organic and 3PV helps.

If it's in for vehicles, and I do hope it is, I'd say leave it as navigation only. Minimal UI elements in 3PV. I do realize that people have a hard time driving and combat situations are more stressful but, imo, FPV should be the shooter's required mode of play, regardless of environment. I won't throw a fit if you can fight in vehicles from 3PV but, even then, I'd limit it only to weapons controlled by the driver. Switch to a non-driver seat? FPV onry.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2012-07-21, 03:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Kezz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by raidyr View Post
Having someone physically maneuver themselves behind me and kill me while I am healing myself is a military tactic. Using a third-person camera to look around a wall is a video game contrivance.
Yeah. A video game contrivance to make up for the fact that you can't peek round the corner without stepping out from behind it. Or that you can't turn your head without turning your body.

But, if they succeed in integrating Track IR into the ground gameplay, it won't be necessary any more...
Old 2012-07-21, 05:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
psychophonic
Private

Seriously i dont saw any of you guys ingame the last years (PS1) or do you
using other nicknames?

3rd-person is a must for ground vehicles and der driver shouldnt have the
ability to gun at all! He is the driver! This is not freaking single player rambo
style BF crap where every 13 year old kid can get a chopper and own the entire
map alone. PS is a game of advanced teamplay so get your buddy in your
gunnerspot while you as driver take care that he always got the best angle
and you never stop because a non moving target is an easy target.

When i saw the tankfights in the playtest i was thinking how ridiculous it is
when they just stand there unmobile und firing on each with tanks.

Oh ya and 3rd-person view for infantery is really really overpowered when
you waiting around the corner and see an entire platoon coming in right to
your positon and then you run for your life - so much power. You guys should
stop thinking in your 64 vs. 64 maps start thinking big that is what PS is!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion