PS2 Business Model - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Who still writes these?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-11, 09:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Kouza
Sergeant

Re: PS2 Business Model

Honestly, after playing World of Tanks, being my first F2P game, Id prefer a simple 15 dollar a month subscription. 15 Bucks is.... what 1/120th of my monthly hours at work? I find it incredibly annoying to have to pay:

double xp: (15 dollars... basically your monthly subscription... this is one month)

EXP for other vehicles (1 dollar for every 25 converted... You can only use experience on the vehicles you earn it on otherwise... Some vehicles cost 65,000 exp and more.)

Lowe (Pretty much eliminates the first half of the grind, if you don`t like to play low tier games, easy mode for the games it gets in)- 35 dollars (50 after next update)

Extra in game money......: IDK don't do it.

See the trend here? It will likely be some sort of item store, that seems to be the new popular thing but, its not the new thing because, it costs the customer less.... Its P2W...... Save money and lose.
Old 2011-07-11, 09:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by artifice View Post
That's some hyperbole. Every P2P MMORPG in existence has expansion packs. You should be asking them how they can justify a monthly fee and charging you for expansions.

Also, if you can't see the distinction, I can't help you.
GW1 is not an MMO. Not even Anet claims so. GW2 is not out yet and the contents of the cash store in game are not yet confirmed (and mind - even Anet has been mentioning XP boosts - sounds a lot like any other F2P innit?).

Also, we're not talking about other MMO's we are talking about - according to you - unique business model of GW1.

So for the fourth or fifth time - what is the business model difference between having customers purchase weapons via cash store or having them buy a whole expansion pack for the same weapons.

Majority of customers don't buy expansion packs to play new missions - they buy it to get teh ph4t l3wt. While it's true content has to be finished when it comes to expansions, in most of the F2P games, the same expansion content would be available to everyone anyway.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-11, 09:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
GW1 is not an MMO. Not even Anet claims so. GW2 is not out yet and the contents of the cash store in game are not yet confirmed (and mind - even Anet has been mentioning XP boosts - sounds a lot like any other F2P innit?).

Also, we're not talking about other MMO's we are talking about - according to you - unique business model of GW1.

So for the fourth or fifth time - what is the business model difference between having customers purchase weapons via cash store or having them buy a whole expansion pack for the same weapons.

Majority of customers don't buy expansion packs to play new missions - they buy it to get teh ph4t l3wt. While it's true content has to be finished when it comes to expansions, in most of the F2P games, the same expansion content would be available to everyone anyway.
Except this conversion is pointless with GW1 because GW1 doesn't have attributes. Items were basically nothing but vanity items.
Old 2011-07-11, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Nobel
Master Sergeant

Lets look at EVE's Model... which is essentially subscription based all around the philosophy.

"If you build a game well enough, they will come"

Lets hope this happens.
Old 2011-07-11, 09:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kouza View Post
Honestly, after playing World of Tanks, being my first F2P game, Id prefer a simple 15 dollar a month subscription. 15 Bucks is.... what 1/120th of my monthly hours at work? I find it incredibly annoying to have to pay:

double xp: (15 dollars... basically your monthly subscription... this is one month)

EXP for other vehicles (1 dollar for every 25 converted... You can only use experience on the vehicles you earn it on otherwise... Some vehicles cost 65,000 exp and more.)

Lowe (Pretty much eliminates the first half of the grind, if you don`t like to play low tier games, easy mode for the games it gets in)- 35 dollars (50 after next update)

Extra in game money......: IDK don't do it.

See the trend here? It will likely be some sort of item store, that seems to be the new popular thing but, its not the new thing because, it costs the customer less.... Its P2W...... Save money and lose.
Yep - it's quite funny because people who shell out £20-£30 on a tank (!) would not be willing to spend £10 a month on a standard MMO subscription.

I've read an interview with Global Agenda dev recently and since they went F2P, they've started making loads more money.

It's all down to perception really. Subscription is perceived as a tax, while 50% bonus XP is perceived as a direct benefit, so to speak.

Which sounds better:
£10 for a month of playing
or
£10 for 2x XP and money bonus?

Exactly ;-) Even though end of the day it's the same as levelling in WoT without premium account is a pain in the ass.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
Old 2011-07-11, 09:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Volw
First Sergeant

Except this conversion is pointless with GW1 because GW1 doesn't have attributes. Items were basically nothing but vanity items.
Wrong.

Each expansion had extra skills/spells in it. If you wanted to do Guild vs Guild or team PvP, you were required to have them as those skills were usually pretty crucial. Other than that, two new classes per expansion, which again were useful to have and most importantly - learn if you wanted to do any proper PvP.

Also IIRC, so I might be wrong - PvE raid items used to be a little better than PvP gear.

Renegade Legion
Old 2011-07-11, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Which sounds better:
£10 for a month of playing
or
£10 for 2x XP and money bonus?
I would like to introduce you to the Everquest II Marketplace.

http://everquest2.com/shop/marketplace

How about a nice Flask of Adventuring III to increase your XP rate by 100%?

Wrong.

Each expansion had extra skills/spells in it. If you wanted to do Guild vs Guild or team PvP, you were required to have them as those skills were usually pretty crucial. Other than that, two new classes per expansion, which again were useful to have and most importantly - learn if you wanted to do any proper PvP.

Also IIRC, so I might be wrong - PvE raid items used to be a little better than PvP gear.
No different than any MMO. New spells, new skills, new classes.

Last edited by artifice; 2011-07-11 at 10:04 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Volw
First Sergeant

I would like to introduce you to the Everquest II Marketplace.

http://everquest2.com/shop/marketplace

How about a nice Flask of Adventuring III to increase your XP rate by 100%?

No different than any MMO. New spells, new skills, new classes.
I know about EQ2 (and SOE milking techniques).

So for the sixth time - what is the business model difference between having customers purchase weapons via cash store or having them buy a whole expansion pack for the same weapons.

Still didn't get an answer from you. Don't think I will.

Renegade Legion
Old 2011-07-11, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
artifice
Staff Sergeant

I know about EQ2 (and SOE milking techniques).

So for the sixth time - what is the business model difference between having customers purchase weapons via cash store or having them buy a whole expansion pack for the same weapons.

Still didn't get an answer from you. Don't think I will.
What is the difference between those and the business model of an MMO that charges you $15 a month and $40 per expansion?

Last edited by artifice; 2011-07-11 at 10:14 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 10:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
moosepoop
Captain

casual players are NOT gonna pay subscription to a shooter, and sony is trying to cater to casual shooters. its setup for failure.
Old 2011-07-11, 10:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
artifice
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by moosepoop View Post
casual players are NOT gonna pay subscription to a shooter, and sony is trying to cater to casual shooters. its setup for failure.
No business model has been announced, so we don't know if it is 'setup for failure' as you say or not.
Old 2011-07-11, 10:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Volw
First Sergeant

What is the difference between those and the business model of an MMO that charges you $15 a month and $40 per expansion?
*sigh*

Are you trolling?

You have claimed GW1 business model is different than F2P which according to you is a bubble.

And I'm proving to you it's almost exactly the same model F2P games are based on, with cash store items packed into an expansion.

Now you're trying to de-rail it into comparing it to other MMOs. Here's a newsflash - GW1 is not an MMO.

And I still don't have my answer. I think I'll drop it right here - waste of time.

Renegade Legion
Old 2011-07-11, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
moosepoop
Captain

team fortress 2 went free to play and is now the most played game on steam. the microtransactions in tf2 do not break the game, are just cosmetic, or for people too impatient to unlock the weapons.

valve admit their sucess is combination of free to play, frequent updates, being in close touch with the community. learn something if u wanna make money, smedley.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2011-07-11 at 10:29 AM.
Old 2011-07-11, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Lunarchild
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I think the best thing they can do is sell the game full-price, and then give 2 options:

1. Free to Play (still requires purchase of the game)
2. Subscription (5 - 15$)

The difference would be in limiting the certification tree to free to play players. They'll still be able to play, but they won't be able to get some of the really cool stuff. Also I would suggest leadership (outfit & empire level) be restricted to subscribed members.
Old 2011-07-11, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
moosepoop
Captain

the subscription fee should be much lower than those of mmoRPGs. the actual content of planetside as an mmo is a lot less than mmorpgs.

i also want to mention global agenda just went free to play and their devs say it saved the game. the population tripled.

subscription will also remove any hope of cross console with the ps3.

i understand the company took a huge hit from the hacker attack and want to quickly regain losses, and is putting high hopes on planetside. but subscription is not the answer.

Last edited by moosepoop; 2011-07-11 at 10:40 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion