News: John Smedley on PlanetSide 2 - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: 1,000,893...and you thought your grief points were high.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-12, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Re: John Smedley on PlanetSide 2

Originally Posted by Jennyboo View Post
This is coming from someone who has never met the man I think you should think before you post.
When it comes to SOE, I'm in the 'slightly-pessimistic' group as well, just because of my experiance with the first game. There were some promises in the past, that were never fullfilled. I'm not saying that they lied, but in the end the promises were broken, and that's what I remember after all those years.

And about Smedly himself. Yes it's nice that he's taking his time to talk to the community and he really seems to be behind this project. I'm also aware that SOE runs a business and no charity, but when he says he always loved Planetside etc. then I wonder, why SOE pretty much stopped all support for the game after 2005, when it still had some potential. And no ... 1 patch every half year is no 'support', considering how much subscription you had to pay.

Example of a broken promise (the way it felt to me):

I don't wish to attack SOE, but they haven't done that much in the past to gain my trust. Anyway .. that's the past and I'd really like to look forward and not backward. I'll try to stop with these kind of posts.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by KornDemon View Post
When it comes to SOE, I'm in the 'slightly-pessimistic' group as well, just because of my experiance with the first game. There were some promises in the past, that were never fullfilled. I'm not saying that they lied, but in the end the promises were broken, and that's what I remember after all those years.

And about Smedly himself. Yes it's nice that he's taking his time to talk to the community and he really seems to be behind this project. I'm also aware that SOE runs a business and no charity, but when he says he always loved Planetside etc. then I wonder, why SOE pretty much stopped all support for the game after 2005, when it still had some potential. And no ... 1 patch every half year is no 'support', considering how much subscription you had to pay.

Example of a broken promise (the way it felt to me):

I don't wish to attack SOE, but they haven't done that much in the past to gain my trust. Anyway .. that's the past and I'd really like to look forward and not backward. I'll try to stop with these kind of posts.
It doesn't matter if he loves it or not. If it's not financially viable (or if it's not SEEN as financially viable) to support PS he shouldn't do it as a CEO. Won't have your job for long if you drive the company into the ground.

He can love it while it gets no love.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
It doesn't matter if he loves it or not. If it's not financially viable (or if it's not SEEN as financially viable) to support PS he shouldn't do it as a CEO.
I'm aware of that and have noted that in my post. However it always felt to me as if Planetside was the red haired step child of SOE.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Jennyboo View Post
This is coming from someone who has never met the man I think you should think before you post.
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Well it's always cool to be negative for the sake of being negative. Some forum personalities love that persona.

No dice. Jenny has a PM, its assumed yall will both read it at some point anyway. Tell me if you want me to pull out the archives. I'll be all to happy to give examples of how Smed has screwed things up.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by KornDemon View Post
I'm aware of that and have noted that in my post. However it always felt to me as if Planetside was the red haired step child of SOE.
While there is a lot of broken hearts/bones that need to be mended from PS1; it seems the PS2 team is taking the right steps to make sure those mistakes don't repeat themselves. 9 years ago in terms of technology and capability is a long time.

The things they wanted to do, they couldn't. The things they could do, they couldn't do properly. This unfortunate systematic failure in development wasn't any one persons fault in my eyes.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
BicOfMarkov
Private

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Sanctuaries only helped the game. I don't get the sanc-hate.
I never understood the complaints about the pace of the game. Sure, the initial Hart 20 minutes sucked until folks got wise to moving folks in Gals and such and until most everyone had a vehicle or four. But they dropped the rate.

I may be the only one who will be actively annoyed by the lack of some kind of non-embargoable haven.

I like the pace of the game. Even the occasional 20 minute foot-schlep to another base. If I wanted something faster I'd play something else. And then something else... And .... You get the idea,
Old 2011-07-12, 07:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Tool View Post
The things they wanted to do, they couldn't. The things they could do, they couldn't do properly. This unfortunate systematic failure in development wasn't any one persons fault in my eyes.
I'm currently thinking about the battledomes (that no one asked for) and the max factory (that no one asked for) and the last development resources the game had that were blown out on those two. Both were never finished and the things that the community actually asked for and that would have been easier to implement (like the weapon variants) never made it into the game. Bottom line is, their dev "teams" (2 persons?) after 2005 weren't exactly efficient.

And now I did it again even though I wanted to stop. Stupid forum ... I'm off to bed.
Old 2011-07-12, 07:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Sifer2
Major

I'm pessimistic about it being an SOE game as well. Since its hard to forget screw ups like Star Wars Galaxies and BFR's.

Fortunately this talk of them planning to release their three year plan is easing the fear somewhat. SOE is notorious for making a good game an then screwing it up. By letting the fans tell them what stupid mistakes they are making ahead of time maybe they can avoid it. I always thought developers should do this. I wonder who the genius is that finally proposed it over there. Of course for it to be effective they will need to actually listen.
Old 2011-07-12, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Volw
First Sergeant

*cough* I remember monthly updates promised for PS1. Along with a couple of features that were supposed to be implemented shortly after release and never made it through. Then we got milked with CC instead.

Also, DCUO content updates were supposed to be there every month and so far it's been much slower ... and the content itself is hardly worth 1/4 of the sub fee they charge.

Won't even go into how they consult their decision with players - as seen by ruining PS (with CC and BFRs) and SWG (NGE).

While I'm not trying to flame SOE, they have long streak of not delivering promises and mismanaging their portfolio.

Hopefully they've learned their lesson but I would not necessarily bet on it.
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-12, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Someone needs to ask if whatever they are selling is free to people who sub. also can they give any guesswork on how a sub will differ then a free player other then customizing.
Old 2011-07-12, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

In regards to DCUO. I never played the game, but I reached the max cap in Champions Online that is another super hero MMO. That game really had next nothing for content and I got the cap in about 2 months of casual playing. Only feature that kept me going with the very nice customization system the game had for creating your char, that was indeed A+. Is it something with content that Super Hero MMOs in general is just on the low side?

In terms of being pessimistic about the game there is nothing wrong with that. If the game meets those peoples' expectations then all will be good. I am often on this side of the isle too.
Old 2011-07-12, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

I know this may sound rather rediculous to some people, but I'd really like to see if PlanetSide 2 has given rise to a societal angle on Auraxis; places away from the battlegrounds who support each of the factions or remain neutral, and these allow player characters to customise their appearances in a way that support their empire, but have almost a Wild West-style of civilisation tucked away across the planet's surface.

Old 2011-07-12, 08:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Tool
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Hyncharas View Post
I know this may sound rather rediculous to some people, but I'd really like to see if PlanetSide 2 has given rise to a societal angle on Auraxis; places away from the battlegrounds who support each of the factions or remain neutral, and these allow player characters to customise their appearances in a way that support their empire, but have almost a Wild West-style of civilisation tucked away across the planet's surface.
Given the nature of the game, neutral areas are something I doubt would be considered. But with the emphasis on future sandbox elements, who knows. Sandbox is often equated with social features and venues.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

cash shop tells me its leaning twords a f2p game, which are normally terrible in one way or the other, very few do it right.

and if i have the option to pay a sub fee, i dont want to deal with cash shop bs.
Old 2011-07-12, 09:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by pointmanFAF View Post
No dice. Jenny has a PM, its assumed yall will both read it at some point anyway. Tell me if you want me to pull out the archives. I'll be all to happy to give examples of how Smed has screwed things up.
Nobody cares, I for one especially.

This is a different game in a different time. Nobody is denying that PS was botched (especially me) with Core Combat, BFRs then failed support. And it's pretty easy to put all your blame on one dude who may or may not be responsible for all decisions made in a game. But the excitement I saw from the ENTIRE company and journalists at Fan Faire is very hard to deny and unfortunately, hard to prove to someone so set in their ways, and especially someone who wasn't there. It seems to be something to do with a game if you aren't happy with the way it turned out, demonize one developer or leader as if it is their fault only.

The excitement was even greater than the first time I went out to SOE for a preview event for PS1. This is not my first time around the block.

People change, mistakes happen and people and companies learn. Get over it.

If I'm wrong so be it, but I have a feeling this time is going to be the badass game we have all been waiting for.

And that is it on this topic, let's keep the discussion to the Q&A and not non issues that have no bearing on this article.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer

Last edited by Hamma; 2011-07-12 at 09:58 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion