Friendly Fire? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: who needs a nano-dispenser when you got tape?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should there be Friendly Fire?
Yes to FF 124 91.85%
No to FF 6 4.44%
Undecided for now. 5 3.70%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-08-30, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Friendly Fire?

Originally Posted by firecrackerNC View Post
Personally id rather there be like a server with FF off lol. Too many times id be laying waste to people and 3 or 4 teamates run directly in front of me. Now this happens half a dozen times in a base assault/defense and now im banned from weapons for like 30 mins. The all a sudden one stray bullet from me hits someone and its another 30 mins or whatever. Was really annoying. Same with plasma nades, id go to throw them into a big group of hallway defenders and bam teamates run straight to it. So personally, I HATE FF. I prolly just suck or something but for me it was a major reason I never subscribed to the game and only played beta/free trials
You're right, the problem is you. I've certed SA and managed to avoid grief lock in hour long interfarms.
Old 2011-08-30, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
eebster
Private

Yes, but the grief you get needs to be changed, it kind of sucks to get weapon locked when you try to use the thumper or radiator.

and give tanks a HORN!! "AWOOOOOOOOGA" damn infantry running across when you're doing 50km an hour in a 50 ton vehicle
Old 2011-08-30, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Graywolves
General

I almost never run into people, even in the prime days.
Old 2011-08-30, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Krowe
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
You're right, the problem is you. I've certed SA and managed to avoid grief lock in hour long interfarms.
This. Its not difficult to do, although I dropped SA for HA simply because I'm not a huge fan of that style of combat.
Old 2011-09-03, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
GTGD
First Sergeant

Yes to friendly fire, with reduced damage. Since it will be easier to kill, we don't want to have spammers taking out legions of friendlies. Maybe like 75% or 50% damage to friendlies would be a good number.
Old 2011-09-06, 01:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Another a-hole accidentally voted no ...

Give u a hint.. It was me. My bad. FF is a MUST!
Old 2011-09-06, 05:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Aractain
Major

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
Yes to friendly fire, with reduced damage. Since it will be easier to kill, we don't want to have spammers taking out legions of friendlies. Maybe like 75% or 50% damage to friendlies would be a good number.
Id be fine with this if only to remove the "why arn't my bullets doing damage?!?!" strangeness if you hit your own team.
Old 2011-09-06, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by firecrackerNC View Post
Personally id rather there be like a server with FF off lol. Too many times id be laying waste to people and 3 or 4 teamates run directly in front of me. Now this happens half a dozen times in a base assault/defense and now im banned from weapons for like 30 mins. The all a sudden one stray bullet from me hits someone and its another 30 mins or whatever. Was really annoying. Same with plasma nades, id go to throw them into a big group of hallway defenders and bam teamates run straight to it. So personally, I HATE FF. I prolly just suck or something but for me it was a major reason I never subscribed to the game and only played beta/free trials

Even though it has been said many times, I'll say it again. If friendly fire is disabled, no one would use the "conventional" weapons. Going back to the situation in the hallway of the quote, if FF were disabled, everyone would have plasma grenades. All the time. Constant grenade and rocket spam would be the name of the game.

The player must decide what weapon to use for the situation they're in and suffer the consequences of their decision. Is it a good idea to use a grenade in an enclosed space with lots of friendlies around? You'll hit a bunch of the enemy, but you'll also hit a bunch of friendlies and potentially weapon lock yourself. That is the consequence for using that weapon in that situation. Is it worth it? It is up to the individual player to decide.

Without consequence, this game will become yet another "Press A to win" genre of game. That would be a sad trombone indeed.
Old 2011-09-06, 03:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Aractain
Major

And as it has been said many times also that grief not friendly fire "stopped" spam. Also long as Grief remains, changing FF will do little but change the experince of the person shot.
Old 2011-09-06, 10:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Lokster
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by waldizzo View Post
Even though it has been said many times, I'll say it again. If friendly fire is disabled, no one would use the "conventional" weapons. Going back to the situation in the hallway of the quote, if FF were disabled, everyone would have plasma grenades. All the time. Constant grenade and rocket spam would be the name of the game.

The player must decide what weapon to use for the situation they're in and suffer the consequences of their decision. Is it a good idea to use a grenade in an enclosed space with lots of friendlies around? You'll hit a bunch of the enemy, but you'll also hit a bunch of friendlies and potentially weapon lock yourself. That is the consequence for using that weapon in that situation. Is it worth it? It is up to the individual player to decide.

Without consequence, this game will become yet another "Press A to win" genre of game. That would be a sad trombone indeed.
^-^ .. This.
Old 2011-09-07, 02:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Aractain
Major

-_-
Old 2011-09-07, 03:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Azren
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Aractain View Post
And as it has been said many times also that grief not friendly fire "stopped" spam. Also long as Grief remains, changing FF will do little but change the experince of the person shot.
You are wrong about that. If there were no FF Platoons could freely spamm all around them with AoE weapons since there is no grief in squads. Even if there were grief in squads, any outfit could just come up with strategies to exploit the no FF rule (for example: throw down tons of AoE nades, and rush inside generating grief points for your outfit members, but dealing massive damage to the enemy at the same time). No FF is not an option here.
Old 2011-09-07, 04:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Aractain
Major

Im sure they would find some way to exploit a lot of things in the game, that dosn't mean you should scrap good design to cater to the explotiers.

The main point is that the design is more important, issues can be delt with and grief was the only defense against greifers shooting people - not FF.

(Also I hope AOE is no where near as powerful as it was in PS1, that was straight up crap design)
Old 2011-09-07, 03:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Im sure they would find some way to exploit a lot of things in the game, that dosn't mean you should scrap good design to cater to the explotiers.
How would having weapons deal damage to friendlies cater to exploiters? Or be scrapping good design for that matter.

grief was the only defense against greifers shooting people - not FF.
Grief was a defense against people using friendly fire by accident or to be assholes. The defense against people using friendly fire as a battle tactic was friendly fire. If grenades don't hurt friendlies then people will exploit spam tactics as often as they can get away with it. Outfits are liable to be setting up rotations to make sure that they spam explosives as much as possible without grief locking people.
Old 2011-09-10, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
nathanebht
Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Preference would be for FF on, but I could handle reduced or no FF if they severely curtailed the ammo supply of certain spam weapons, which i think they are doing anyway. I imagine they might be running into issues with TKs with the reduced TTK.

Yeah, it increases skill, but if i had a nickel for every time some bozo ran in front of me... Really, it wouldn't be the end of the world, so long as bullets didn't pass through friendlies.

Oh, and I certainly could go along with axing vehicle collision FF/Grief.
Good points. Since there is no inventory in PS2, its not clear if we will have unlimited ammo or what.

The limited ammo and having FF in PS1 made the game feel much different from most other FPS games. Different in a very good way.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion