Totalbiscuit visiting SOE to try and get PS2 info! - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: IS INVINCIBLE!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-11, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: Totalbiscuit visiting SOE to try and get PS2 info!

So TB was anti surgile? Good.

I wasn't around then but everyone I have spoken too says it was horrible.

WB TB, more exposure is good. Now if only Jim Rossignol would join these boards (he wrote the review that got me in ps way back in 2004).
Old 2012-05-11, 04:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post

WB TB, more exposure is good. Now if only Jim Rossignol would join these boards (he wrote the review that got me in ps way back in 2004).
I also started playing after reading that. It really managed to capture the epic feeling of PlanetSide's battles.

He writes for RockPaperShotgun now, so his job will take him back to reporting on PlanetSide quite a bit I'd expect. Also, he seems to have pretty good memories of it. This is from a post on the site which contained a lot of good screenshots of the game, published at the beginning of March this year:

Originally Posted by Jim Rossignol
So, I am basically posting this because I am ludicrously excited about Planetside 2. I realise it’s partly nostalgia for my MMO summer of 2003 kicking in, but there’s still a part of me that thinks this could be the event game on PC this year.

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.

Last edited by Khrusky; 2012-05-11 at 04:56 AM.
Old 2012-05-11, 04:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Snipefrag
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ringring View Post

I think I was pissed about surgile nerf at the time, but it had to happen. If the games netcode was better (was probably partly due to the technical limitations at the time) then there wouldn't have been a problem, it was a legitimate tactic and turned the game into more of a twitch FPS.

Hopefully PS2 handles it better so we can see a return of this type of gameplay as it would give different playstyle options, you can play fast and frantic with surge and close range weapons or well armoured and slow but pack a big punch. As long as its balanced and not exploiting game mechanics like it was in PS1.
Old 2012-05-11, 04:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
SgtMAD
Captain

I see the troll answered, I'll dig up the post on Markovforums.com where he told me I was right back then and he was wrong and he apologized,its 3 am here and i have to go to work, I'll post it when I get home in 12 hours

it only took a second to find it.its a copy of PM sent to me on the PS forums approx 7/14/05

I just got this PM on the PS forums;

Respect to you and the Markov lot

Now I understand where you were coming from all this time.

Shame it took this long to realise it.

Have a good one.

TB.

Last edited by SgtMAD; 2012-05-11 at 05:14 AM.
Old 2012-05-11, 05:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
Actually, TB will most likely make more people aware of PS2, rather than making those who already know of it more excited.

This is basically why, even though the devs love PSU, Hamma and the gang hardly ever get anything exclusive from them. And why Hamma almost definitely won't be invited over until the devs have got time to spare (which definitely isn't now, methinks.
People who visit PSU already know about PS2 and SOE won't gain anything from using it as a media outlet.

We've had Jesse Cox and Angry Joe over here at CDP/GOG and I've seen how having someone from the outside over (famous, e-famous or regular folk) takes up a lot of time from quite a few people. (it's also a lot of fun, but I digress:P)
If I were inviting people over while I was busy polishing up my game in crunch mode, I would choose those people as efficiently as possible, which is probably what SOE are doing right now.

On a slightly related note, it's a shame I only played PlanetSide and never got into the ForumSide spinoff. Now I don't understand the e-drama.
I wonder if it was anything as horrible as the ForumSide/PSU vets seem to describe it, or if they're just "analyzing" half-forgotten flashbacks through hormone-pumped teen nostalgia glasses.
Sorry but PSU has had the most exclusives since the game was announced. Hell, it's one of the few spots where the devs actually CHAT with people, making it MORE exclusive than say... oh... the official forums... >.> Hamma has had devs on AGN shows, has had many chances to do interviews and has received quite a few exclusives during those interviews like walk arounds in game prior to showing it at GDC and all. Aside from beta access, what more do you want? ;p

Last edited by Figment; 2012-05-11 at 05:09 AM.
Old 2012-05-11, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Coverage is coverage. If TB can hype up more players than PS1 even had, then more power to him!

I'm psyched to see Higby and team taking all this time to do interviews and trade shows and demo sessions with eSports casters in order to build a massive Planetside 2 fanbase even while it's still in alpha.

This is exactly what we need to make PS2 a genre-shattering success!
Old 2012-05-11, 08:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Mezorin View Post
And the plot thickens with the return of Total Biscuit. Well, this was a quiet Thursday night...

I wouldn't feel too bad about the roasting going on, TB, as EvilPig got similar shit when he got that SOE Community Award recently. Seriously, you and EvilPig could cure cancer and there would be a thread bitching about it.

On the original topic at hand: congrats on getting the scoop, and I wish you the best in your trip to San Diego to visit SOE, TotalBiscuit. Good Planetside 2 coverage to increase people excited about the game is beneficial to all of us here, and to SOE in the long run, so thanks for doing your show and all the PS coverage you've done over the years.
+1

Now some may still have energy to argue about the past but the critical issue nowadays is getting a ton of players to know about PlanetSide. On PSU, we all know about PS1 and PS2.

Go TB, the world must know ! We need champions to defend the cause and you can make a difference !
Old 2012-05-11, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Hamma
PSU Admin

Originally Posted by TotalBiscuit View Post
Well this thread is pretty terrible isn't it?

Last time I posted here things were a little more civil. Hey Hamma, hows tricks? Been a while hasn't it :P I notice SgtButtMad is still in attendance. Never could get over that surgile nerf aye?
haha There have been worse threads..

Things are good can't complain. Be sure to grill the devs for us!

Originally Posted by Mezorin View Post
I wouldn't feel too bad about the roasting going on, TB, as EvilPig got similar shit when he got that SOE Community Award recently. Seriously, you and EvilPig could cure cancer and there would be a thread bitching about it.
They are working on a cure right now. I suspect an announcement post E3.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-05-11, 08:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
EVILoHOMER
Major

I want them to give the Yogscast entry to beta so they can make a Shadow of Israphel like story. Remember that Shadow of Auraxis one? what ever happened to that? lol.
Old 2012-05-11, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
EVILoHOMER
Major

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
haha There have been worse threads..

Things are good can't complain. Be sure to grill the devs for us!

They are working on a cure right now. I suspect an announcement post E3.

Yes TotalBiscuit can you ask them to put this into Planetside 2 that was taken out of Planetside?

http://images.mmorpg.com/images/gall...a2f70ae0ca.jpg

I've been asking for it back since it was taken out and never got a reply

(Talking about the blade glowing)
Old 2012-05-11, 08:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
TotalBiscuit
Cynical Brit

Man, if i held a 7 year grudge, I'd be a right miserable little shit XD I don't even remember 1) What I said 2) What you were mad about. It's probably time a grown man got over it, don't ya think? Weren't you also a guy that defended surgile/quad-shot as a legit "skillful" way to play when i was based on not one but two exploits one of which relied on poor netcode which caused you to warp around the place? Best not to try talking about "competitive" play when what you really meant was "cheat for k/d".

Anyway, heading over to the studio in a couple of hours. I'll see what I can get out of them.

Last edited by TotalBiscuit; 2012-05-11 at 09:02 AM.
Old 2012-05-11, 09:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Canaris
Contributor
General

Man, if i held a 7 year grudge, I'd be a right miserable little shit XD

Anyway, heading over to the studio in a couple of hours. I'll see what I can get out of them.
today this little Terran trooper is green with Envy!!, enjoy SOE HQ and get us some good juicy gossip

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-05-11, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Hamma
PSU Admin

Man, if i held a 7 year grudge, I'd be a right miserable little shit XD I don't even remember 1) What I said 2) What you were mad about. It's probably time a grown man got over it, don't ya think? Weren't you also a guy that defended surgile/quad-shot as a legit "skillful" way to play when i was based on not one but two exploits one of which relied on poor netcode which caused you to warp around the place? Best not to try talking about "competitive" play when what you really meant was "cheat for k/d".

It's like you are his arch nemesis and have returned to battle it out one last time!!1!1

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2012-05-11, 09:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
It's like you are his arch nemesis and have returned to battle it out one last time!!1!1
I don't know what this is all about, but has it got anything to do with Mayans and December?
Old 2012-05-11, 09:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
I don't know what this is all about, but has it got anything to do with Mayans and December?
They found an even older Mayan calender that goes 7.000 years onwards from there, so I very much doubt it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion