Names of Friendlies Should be GREEN! - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where real men wage war with flashlights in bright purple jump suits.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-10, 02:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Re: Names of Friendlies Should be GREEN!

Yes to customizable name colors... it's very in keeping with everything else in the game.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
Old 2012-07-10, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

give it about 3 hours and you'll be able to tell by silhouette who's friendly and who's not.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
CaptainRon
Private

I'm all for allowing us to customize how we can see what.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
SixShooter
Captain

I would prefer to have like PS1
green for friendly
red for enemy
yellow for squad
orange for platoon
so on and so forth

I would also like the kill spam to have the PS1 look as well with the faction colors instead of red and green. It was good to be able to see if there was a 3rd faction sneaking in on the action.

The best way would of course be full customization of these types of things.

Old 2012-07-10, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Vexus
Private

I agree the IFF isn't noticable enough. Personally, I'd like each faction's color to show up clearly and distinctly. I'd argue that your squad could be a brighter or more distinctive shade of that color ... but why not just keep each empire it's own color?

I also wholeheartedly support any solution that helps those who have trouble distinguishing those colors (e.g. red/green). While I can distinguish them easily, I still recall that humorous day that my father unknowingly wore one burgundy and one dark green sock ... much to my and my mother's dismay. Fortunately, my mother stopped him before he made it out the front door, heh. Although, I'm still unsure why he even owned pairs of socks in either color frankly.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
FPClark
Staff Sergeant

I think friendly names should be purple and enemy names should be red/black/blue/gold. (Im just sayin')
Old 2012-07-10, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Realistically, any TKing is probably because the devs switch teams all the time. In game, if your faction's members are colored according to faction (red for TR, blue for NC, purple for Vanu) it should be fine once people get accustomed to it. Or however they settle on it.

Personally, I don't see why squad members particularly need to be a different color. PS1 I've noticed friendlies are green, enemies are red. Pretty straight forward. I didn't like how the squads are different colors at first, tended to cause confusion, but once you get used to "KILL THE REDS" it doesn't matter either.

-edit

Configurable UI for the win.
Old 2012-07-10, 09:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
After watching the stream last night I think the reason we've seen so much TKing so far is because of the inaccurate IFF interface (Identify Friend or Foe). I was struggling to tell which Empire people were, at a glance, and judging by the amount of TKing we've seen at E3 and again last night I don't think I'm the only one. Part of this, I believe, is because friendlies currently show up in WHITE. That's the same colour that you get for lots of other things in game.

Now I understand that the devs wanted to keep GREEN for squadmates but right now I just don't think it's worth the trade-off. I'd far rather see all the guys on MY Empire highlighted green and hopefully not get TK'd by every 'friendly' who happens to see me and can't figure out which Empire I belong to. Any thoughts?
I would be ok if only spotted enemies and squad/platoon get any 3D markers. IFF should be hard at range. People should not shoot at shit in the distance until they can properly IFF it. Doritos make people lazy.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Tsunami
Corporal

After watching the stream last night I think the reason we've seen so much TKing so far is because of the inaccurate IFF interface (Identify Friend or Foe). I was struggling to tell which Empire people were, at a glance, and judging by the amount of TKing we've seen at E3 and again last night I don't think I'm the only one. Part of this, I believe, is because friendlies currently show up in WHITE. That's the same colour that you get for lots of other things in game.

Now I understand that the devs wanted to keep GREEN for squadmates but right now I just don't think it's worth the trade-off. I'd far rather see all the guys on MY Empire highlighted green and hopefully not get TK'd by every 'friendly' who happens to see me and can't figure out which Empire I belong to. Any thoughts?
or your crosshair could turn colors like red for enemy and green for team mate. CoD stuff right their....
Old 2012-07-11, 04:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Azarga
Corporal

Names of Friendlies Should be CUSTOMIZABLE
Old 2012-07-11, 05:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Bruttal
Sergeant Major

Yeah i prefer Green for friendlys but also think we should be able to select what colors we want for all names friendly and enemy mostly because i think it could help the color blind
Old 2012-07-11, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
give it about 3 hours and you'll be able to tell by silhouette who's friendly and who's not.
The guys playing in Higby's stream were Devs... Ie. most have logged a lot more than 3 hours of game play. I think it's harder than you're anticipating.

Also, given the size and scale of PS2 there are going to be A LOT of players who're in the 3 hour window for the first 6 months. How many times do you need to get TK'd by some guy who's just picked up the game before we ask SOE to make the IFF system a little more intuitive?

I'm fine with enemies taking longer to identify (like in PS1) but all friendlies close to you should be identified (with their name above their heads) constantly.
Old 2012-07-11, 06:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
I would prefer to have like PS1
green for friendly
red for enemy
yellow for squad
orange for platoon
so on and so forth

I would also like the kill spam to have the PS1 look as well with the faction colors instead of red and green. It was good to be able to see if there was a 3rd faction sneaking in on the action.

The best way would of course be full customization of these types of things.
Yes to PS1 colors, YESYESYES to PS1 empire-colored skillspam. The Green/red killspam in PS2 footage really annoyed me, esp since it's inconsistent with the empire-specific coloration of the capture pts on the UI. Current Green/REd should still be available for vision impaired folks tho.

And yeah, full color customization would be best.

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
Personally, I don't see why squad members particularly need to be a different color. PS1 I've noticed friendlies are green, enemies are red. Pretty straight forward. I didn't like how the squads are different colors at first, tended to cause confusion, but once you get used to "KILL THE REDS" it doesn't matter either.
Squad colors are important for squad coordination and spatial awareness during busy firefights. It's much easier keep track of the movements/position of your squadmates by their color via peripheral vision than it is to have to constantly stop, look directly at, and read the tags of all the friendlies nearby to pick out your squadmates.

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
I would be ok if only spotted enemies and squad/platoon get any 3D markers. IFF should be hard at range. People should not shoot at shit in the distance until they can properly IFF it. Doritos make people lazy.
Agreed. Tags/Markers shouldn't be visible through walls or other cover/concealment either. If you don't have LoS you shouldn't get any 3D spotting, IMO. The only exception I'd want that I can think of offhand are the base capture points and static waypoints laid down by squad/platoon/outfit members.

Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
or your crosshair could turn colors like red for enemy and green for team mate. CoD stuff right their....
PS1 does this too.

I'm fine with enemies taking longer to identify (like in PS1) but all friendlies close to you should be identified (with their name above their heads) constantly.
Yep. I would say all friendlies in a 40-50m radius or so. Basically anyone who might be the victim of instinctive fire (i.e., non-ADS) if not ID'd immediately.

Last edited by Erendil; 2012-07-11 at 06:31 AM.
Old 2012-07-11, 07:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Erendil View Post
Yep. I would say all friendlies in a 40-50m radius or so. Basically anyone who might be the victim of instinctive fire (i.e., non-ADS) if not ID'd immediately.
Yeah, this is my main contention where the IFF is concern. The IFF for friendlies is far too slow. Simply watch the start of the stream and see when Higby comes across the first NC how long it takes a name to pop up. I'm sorry but 99% of new players will shoot something if they're uncertain for that long. In fact, I'd go so far as to say 50% of us would probably shoot him too just to be on the safe side! Compounding that is the fact that once a friendly who have identified goes off your screen, the next time you see him again you have to wait an age to identify him all over again! I don't know if I'm the only one here but I can see this causing absolute carnage when we get more people playing.

Now I know some of you are probably thinking "Meh, this'll just be part of the learning curve. However given the size of the likely PS2 playerbase during the first year of the game there will be A LOT of people experiencing their first 5 hours of gameplay.

In my opinion it'd get awfully annoying to keep getting TK'd because the IFF system had a learning curve on it!
Old 2012-07-11, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

After watching the stream last night I think the reason we've seen so much TKing so far is because of the inaccurate IFF interface (Identify Friend or Foe).
Seemed to me more that people were trigger-happy.

In any event, as far as color assignments:

Names of Friendlies should be something you can pick for yourself. Among other things, it's good to avoid having only just one color option for those that are colorblind. I do also think that there should be a distinction between squadmates and general friendlies, and personally didn't have a problem with white names.

Some people might, so being able to change it to a given color is only a good thing.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion