"Controlling" world populace - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: why even look up here
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-18, 07:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Figment
Lieutenant General

Re: "Controlling" world populace

Originally Posted by Sgt Shultz View Post
Additionally many of the Chinese women I ran into had an extremely narcissistic personality, which I am still trying to understand, which was also mentioned as an aspect of the once child policy.
Women are significantly fewer in numbers than man in China, meaning they can pick whoever they want.

You can't imagine the power and image of self-importance millions of sex-starved men gives them?

Uhm...

"Us" is people in countries like Somalia, right?

I'm also surprised that article states US acres have remained steady, while completely ignoring the amount of acres of rainforest destroyed and terrain eroding in developing and economically developing countries, to provide for US and EU food consumption in particular (note US import and South American expanse of food production at the cost of other terrain).

Never been to Brazil, have you?

Last edited by Figment; 2012-07-18 at 07:20 PM.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by IPN Opinion article
But many environmentalists and population enthusiasts want to restrict economic growth, technology and human freedoms, damaging both humans and the environment.
Weird, this article seems very out of touch with actual policies and designed as an attack on environmentalists. It presumes that "population enthusiasts" don't want the same thing like increasing the quality of living. However, they also realize that isn't the only solution. Countries have been actively researching many areas of population control for a long time. I'd argue that article created a straw man to attack.

I don't know why anyone would do that thought other than to continue an agenda of attacking environmentalists.
Old 2012-07-18, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Sgt Shultz
Corporal

Originally Posted by Figment View Post
Women are significantly fewer in numbers than man in China, meaning they can pick whoever they want.

You can't imagine the power and image of self-importance millions of sex-starved men gives them?
For western men that would seem the most straight forward answer (Note thats exactly what I thought upon first hearing about the issue). But its even weirder then that.

It was described to me that the fathers almost always want a male child for passing on the family name and honoring the parents and grandparents. Upon receiving a female child the father is angered and embarrased, and proceeds to treat the child poorly for a time. After treating the child poorly for a number of years guilt becomes an issue and the father then proceeds to acquiesce to the majority of his daughters whims. Thus the birth of the narcissistic personality disorder.

Its fucked up, and I don't understand it completely, and not sure if I totally believe it but that's how it was explained to me. And yes if it hasn't already been stated Chinese thinking is just utterly foreign.
Old 2012-07-19, 03:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Figment
Lieutenant General

The one child policy messes people up like that, but that's largely because of pre-existing culture not having adapted to it at the time it was forcibly implemented.

Still, I doubt the bureaucrats that came up with the solution were very happy to implement it, but they probably saw few alternatives (aside from conquering and annexing Tibet).
Old 2012-07-19, 03:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

War.
Old 2012-07-20, 11:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

I'm also surprised that article states US acres have remained steady, while completely ignoring the amount of acres of rainforest destroyed and terrain eroding in developing and economically developing countries, to provide for US and EU food consumption in particular (note US import and South American expanse of food production at the cost of other terrain).
The US barely imports any food.

The problem with developing countries is that they follow the cheapest and simplest methods for food supply, which are obviously the most damaging to the environment.

Example: Slash and Burn in Brazil, a cheap, short term method of farming that results in incredibly depleted soil over an extremely short amount of time.

Countries such as Nigeria currently have 162 million people, and that number is expected to grow by 271 million in the next 40 years.

Old 2012-07-21, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
The US barely imports any food.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

The US imports 7% of it's food supply, AKA: next to nothing.

We also have the largest corn reserves in the world, and we give away most of it as aide to other countries.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Landtank View Post
The US imports 7% of it's food supply, AKA: next to nothing.

We also have the largest corn reserves in the world, and we give away most of it as aide to other countries.
Seriously. In a real food shortage, the difference between meat and corn prices would skyrocket. People would be buying the corn that once fed livestock. The U.S. is in an excellent position compared to most countries on this front.

However... if you want population control, you invent a good temporary-effect chemical birth control for men. In fact, you might need to start paying people to have children at that point.
Old 2012-07-22, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Buggsy
Sergeant Major

Overpopulation is bound to happen at some point.
Yes I agree, that's why all immigration must come to a halt.
Old 2012-07-22, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
Seriously. In a real food shortage, the difference between meat and corn prices would skyrocket. People would be buying the corn that once fed livestock. The U.S. is in an excellent position compared to most countries on this front.

However... if you want population control, you invent a good temporary-effect chemical birth control for men. In fact, you might need to start paying people to have children at that point.
Or you could just have a good sex education programme and free condoms for everyone.
Old 2012-07-22, 08:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Buggsy View Post
Yes I agree, that's why all immigration must come to a halt.
Just drop them in Utah. Plenty of space there.

On a serious note, immigration flows are like water and gravity over short distances. The bigger the economical difference and proximity, the bigger the flux. Just that it flows up.

Spain, Italy and Greece are already being flooded by immigrants from Africa and asia. The USA has a significant immigration of Latin people to ex-Spanish colonies. (Ironically the other way around was no problem).

But this will continue as long as the bad situation in your neighbouring countried last.

To stop that flow, remove the reason to flow. Dams and dikes (borders) can only hold so much water under the pressure you are allowing to build.
Old 2012-07-23, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Superbus
Private

I believe population control is the absolute zenith of evil. It sanctions such things as forced abortions, ruins lives destroys families; there are many examples of this in China and throughout history. It is fascism, Maousim, Stalinism, what ever you want to call it at the highest level.

With that said, there is a problem with over population, but I believe it is a self rectifying situation. I believe as people become better educated, and as old cultural paradigms begin to shift, such as patriarchal societies, dependent on male heirs, and as women gain more freedom throughout the world, it will eventually be a non-issue. We can already see the start of the change happening in western culture, where it has shifted from a once heavily patriarchal has now shifted to where families no longer wish to have as many children and, increasingly large families are seen as culturally abnormal.

Last edited by Superbus; 2012-07-23 at 09:47 PM.
Old 2012-07-23, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I hate to be trollish, but I laughed out loud at 'para-dimes'.

Old 2012-07-23, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Superbus
Private

Lol I just noticed that, chrome spell check has spoiled me rotten :P

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum