News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 51 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Here comes the orange shirt squad!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-23, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #751
ThGlump
Captain

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
Nobody really gives a shit about what company is running what in what location, as long as it's not region-locked. Which, at the moment it is.
I give a shit. For me it matters more what company is running servers and services, than some region locking. Region lock pisses me only because it could hinder me from running from pro7 zone.
Old 2012-02-23, 05:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #752
Shanesan
Sergeant

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
I give a shit. For me it matters more what company is running servers and services, than some region locking. Region lock pisses me only because it could hinder me from running from pro7 zone.
Well boss, I'm glad you read the FAQ which states plainly:

Who will host and manage the servers, ProSiebenSat.1 Games or SOE?

SOE will continue to host and manage the European servers for all games under this agreement.
Old 2012-02-23, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #753
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

I do not get the point of that ping talk... No one will suffer player with 400 ping 365 days a year when a better alternative is available. Unplayable is unplayable and no one likes playing on unplayable servers.

If Planetside 2 is SUCCESSFUL, there will be MANY servers. There will also be thousands of new players. Think forward and large. Like Basti, I hope for Euros that the ProSieben guys are serious about becoming a powerhouse in gaming. If they make it right this time, imagine all the opportunities that will open to their business and to their customers !

On player-side, given the possibility to choose between servers and correct information (i.e. ping, population, empire needs), player populations will even themselves out.

Those choosing a specific geographic server will be a minority and will have reasons to do so instead of going for performance (community, workshift, etc...). Furthermore, if an large outfit joining an empire does not unbalance that server, there is no reason to see communities put at risk worldwide server infrastructure of a SUCCESSFUL AAA title.

At best, the SOE/ProSieben deal should be limited to who you pay your bills to and the rest of the choices left to the players. People love freedom.

Which side ? PLANETSIDE !
Old 2012-02-23, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #754
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by stordito View Post
It's already happened that EU punished some US company for moving data to third parties without informing and gathering the consensus from the costumers.
We are talking about xxx.000 € fees...
EU has a very strict policy on this kind of stuff.
Actually if you read the FAQ carefully you'll have to make a new account at ProSieben then ask SOE to transfer the relevant information to it (namely your game characters and whatever Station bucks you still have). They're being very careful to set it up so that you have to ask them to transfer the information so they don't run into the legal problems you mentioned.

Will account information be shared with ProSiebenSat.1 Games?
No personal information will be shared. We will offer a simple way for any current SOE European player to create a new account with ProSiebenSat.1 Games and to have their existing characters and game progress transferred and the value of any Station Cash in their SOE account granted to the new ProSiebenSat.1 Games account.
Old 2012-02-23, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #755
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
Well boss, I'm glad you read the FAQ which states plainly:
Dont worry i red it well. All about being forced to have different account, different forum, different customer support, different shop, eu only special items etc. Those are things that can easily ruin game, if you do it badly. And they dont have that experience, and where they have some, it only lowers their credibility.
Old 2012-02-23, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #756
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Those are things that can easily ruin game, if you do it badly. And they dont have that experience, and where they have some, it only lowers their credibility.
Oh yes, that stuff definitely goes both ways. If ProSieben fucks it up, they may reach terrible levels of reputation with European gamers. And for a long time to come.
Old 2012-02-23, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #757
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by GTGD View Post
Obviously it would be preferable to have the alternative to make everyone happy. But if one had to be chosen, I''d argue for the gameplay because of all the new players. I think what a lot of people miss is that there are so many new fans that will want to play this game and won't tolerate more lag than on other FPS like Battlefield or CoD.

If PS2 doesn't cater to these new people who will populate the servers, there won't be much of a community. We'll have PS1 sized pops, which in the new game will feel much like PS1 does now: barren.

I think that from being used to 150+ pings, it's easy to dismiss the concern, but most PC gamers end up choosing games that feel right and then join a community, rather than following their community from game to game.
Good points on the new player scenario, and you're right that I do have bias in playing with high ping (heck, even used to play CS:S with that).

I do question however; would we have the same net effect (perhaps worse) if a new player accidentally chose to play on an international server (unaware of the repercussions of higher latency) as opposed to having higher ping players on their local server? Given that higher latency affects an individual more than others.

I must admit, I don't like the international server option because it just separates our user base even more, and that would be bad for EU and US. Perhaps not an issue if we have a high enough population across the board, but a concern nonetheless.

So much of this is unclear until we see things in action, bring on beta eh?
Old 2012-02-23, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #758
jakaul
Sergeant

All the stuff aside, I'll say that I'm actually really encouraged by the responses from Higby and Smedley. It seems like they do give a shit about the game, and that's something I'm incredible appreciative of.
Old 2012-02-23, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #759
Shanesan
Sergeant

Originally Posted by jakaul View Post
All the stuff aside, I'll say that I'm actually really encouraged by the responses from Higby and Smedley. It seems like they do give a shit about the game, and that's something I'm incredible appreciative of.
We all know that Higby really wants this game to succeed - this is his baby. He's been working way too long to have someone come and shit on it. Sadly, he does not have complete creative control over Planetside - he reports to Smedley.

Smedley is notorious for coming into a situation and shitting all over it. He does not care about the games or the player base. You can see it in updates of all SoE games from day one.

That is my major concern.
Old 2012-02-23, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #760
The Desert Fox
Master Sergeant

53 Pages in 2 days, daaaaaaaaammmnnnn. I do believe this thread takes the title on this one.
Old 2012-02-23, 06:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #761
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by The Desert Fox View Post
53 Pages in 2 days, daaaaaaaaammmnnnn. I do believe this thread takes the title on this one.
Yea we dont care about game enough. Look at EQ2. They care. 120 pages in 2 days
Old 2012-02-23, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #762
Vancha
Colonel

Obviously it would be preferable to have the alternative to make everyone happy. But if one had to be chosen, I''d argue for the gameplay because of all the new players. I think what a lot of people miss is that there are so many new fans that will want to play this game and won't tolerate more lag than on other FPS like Battlefield or CoD.

If PS2 doesn't cater to these new people who will populate the servers, there won't be much of a community. We'll have PS1 sized pops, which in the new game will feel much like PS1 does now: barren.

I think that from being used to 150+ pings, it's easy to dismiss the concern, but most PC gamers end up choosing games that feel right and then join a community, rather than following their community from game to game.
I think you'd be surprised how many communities move from game to game as a group. There's also far more chance of someone playing a game for the long-haul if they arrive with a community as opposed to having to find a new one to fit into. Not to mention there's only so many communities you can really be involved in at one time...

I don't believe it's so, but if they really are unable to support something as fundamental to an MMOFPS as international communities, I'd go as far as to say Planetside 2 is still too far ahead of it's time.
Old 2012-02-23, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #763
GTGD
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Good points on the new player scenario, and you're right that I do have bias in playing with high ping (heck, even used to play CS:S with that).

I do question however; would we have the same net effect (perhaps worse) if a new player accidentally chose to play on an international server (unaware of the repercussions of higher latency) as opposed to having higher ping players on their local server? Given that higher latency affects an individual more than others.

I must admit, I don't like the international server option because it just separates our user base even more, and that would be bad for EU and US. Perhaps not an issue if we have a high enough population across the board, but a concern nonetheless.

So much of this is unclear until we see things in action, bring on beta eh?
I understand the concern about the playerbase being spread out, but honestly I'd be worried more about the servers being over-congested. Assuming the game is F2P and you can run it on current or recent hardware, I can easily see traffic issues. Even if each server supports 10,000 players at once, it is entirely possible that they could be maxed out.

But yes...damn it we need the beta...
Old 2012-02-23, 06:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #764
Mirror
First Sergeant

I understand the concern about the playerbase being spread out, but honestly I'd be worried more about the servers being over-congested. Assuming the game is F2P and you can run it on current or recent hardware, I can easily see traffic issues. Even if each server supports 10,000 players at once, it is entirely possible that they could be maxed out.

But yes...damn it we need the beta...
Until we know more its difficult.

Lets say each server has 10 conts like PS1 that would mean that the server would need to hold at least 6660 people. Planetside 2 currently has 28,000 likes on facebook lets go with that number. Lets say 1/3 of those 28,000 are euros so Europe would need at least 2 servers and the the US would need at least 4 maybe 5 servers.

Of course their could be 15 conts or 50,000 people that want to play the game at release but that kind of gives you an idea.

As for Traffic issues, I just dont see it. Wow servers and SWTOR servers are capped at somewhere between 5000 and 7000 players I think and apart from a queue to login there isnt really any problems with traffic. SOE is just as experienced as Blizzard and Bio-ware/EA at releasing MMOs.

http://www.deltatriad.com

Last edited by Mirror; 2012-02-23 at 06:40 PM.
Old 2012-02-23, 06:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #765
Sta
Private

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I think you'd be surprised how many communities move from game to game as a group. There's also far more chance of someone playing a game for the long-haul if they arrive with a community as opposed to having to find a new one to fit into. Not to mention there's only so many communities you can really be involved in at one time...

I don't believe it's so, but if they really are unable to support something as fundamental to an MMOFPS as international communities, I'd go as far as to say Planetside 2 is still too far ahead of it's time.
Clans which decide to move to a certain game will leave as a clan when game sucks! I can say that from experience I also find it odd to leave clan in such a scenario. In this case It's more the psychological aspect of behaviour in groups which forces individuals to leave a game...

Theres also a second type of clans which will be created during time after a certain game is released.. There I agree that most people will stay with the game even when most people of their clan leave coz game sucks..
In the recent mmo failures like star trek online or swtor Ive also experienced a high population of totally crappy clans/guilds which recruit like mad and die within a week...

Last edited by Sta; 2012-02-23 at 06:47 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion