Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2 - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Whatside?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want boarding/exit animations?
Yes, I would like to see them kept. 351 80.14%
No, I think they should go. 18 4.11%
Don't care either way. 69 15.75%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-17, 12:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
GTGD
First Sergeant

Re: Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2

I'd definitely like them to return. Without them, things could get confusing. Imagine an enemy taking cover behind a tank, and then all of a sudden they're inside. Plus, it really made the game feel polished and added to the scale. It was amazing to see tons of vehicles rolling into the courtyard of a base, and then players dismounting to invade. Or a ton of gals lined up and being loaded.
Old 2011-07-17, 06:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Drev
Private

Even if they animations are returned post launch. That would be great. As everyone has said before; it was an awesome part to the immersion.

Fantastic seeing people load up on their vehicles in sanctuary prepairing for a big assult!
Old 2011-07-17, 06:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Hopefully they'll just include a boarding "delay" and add the animations later, rather than anything instantaneous.
With the removal of boarding animations this would make the most sense to avoid turning vehicles into freebie insta-turrets. Maybe smaller vehicles have quicker activation times whereas full on battletanks get a sequential bootup sequence. Higher tank skills equal faster boots and the like.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.

Last edited by exLupo; 2011-07-17 at 06:49 AM.
Old 2011-07-17, 07:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
BorisBlade
First Lieutenant

And those not liking the third person switch. I think it would be very cool to keep you in first person during the "climb in". Either way, im hopin for atleast a delay of some sorts if the animations arent goin in.
Old 2011-07-17, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
SealedSun
Contributor
Private

I'd really like to see vehicle boarding animations in Planetside 2. Believe it or not, but these animations in Planetside 1 were, what got me interested in the game in the first place.
After seeing that soldier hopping into the Reaver, I just had to check it out!
Old 2011-07-17, 08:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
Skorne
Private

Really want to see them back. I know people have said they don't matter, but of course they do just like all animations do such as reloading your weapon or jumping.

They had the budget to do it in PS1 and they can't do it now with the far more sophisticated animation tools available in 2011? It feels like they are cutting corners to me and I start to worry what other features will be removed to reduce development costs.
Old 2011-07-18, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Bing
Private

I feel like boarding animations aren't just an immersion issue, but a balancing issue as well. Especially if just being in a vehicle makes you immune to damage, ala Planetside 1. Boarding animations + shooting soldiers in vehicles would stop the insta-turret as well as using vehicles to escape immanent death.
Old 2011-07-18, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Drentz
Private

Stay stay stay. I always thought it was pretty badass watching my outfit's squads surround a couple galaxies and other vehicles and have everyone load up together.
Old 2011-07-18, 06:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

you will never ever ever ever convince me that something so simple is not possible to be placed in ag ame due to budget or time constraints when A) you have no release date, B) the time it takes to do this is a joke compared to the fact your making a whole game either way.
Old 2011-07-18, 07:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by opticalshadow View Post
you will never ever ever ever convince me that something so simple is not possible to be placed in ag ame due to budget or time constraints when A) you have no release date, B) the time it takes to do this is a joke compared to the fact your making a whole game either way.
Adding probably close to a 100 animations along with interior textures is a joke?

Maybe you should write to Smedley and volunteer to do this. I'm sure the community will love you and it's only a few hours of work for you, anyway!
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-18, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Traak
Colonel

I dunno about the other vehicles, but the moment I clicked my button to get in the AMS driver's seat, all damage to me from any PShield RExo HA enemy who had leapt at me, shooting me in the back as I repaired the AMS ceased.

So, the animations didn't make me more vulnerable, by any means. Sure did frustrate Captain Braveheart that he couldn't rape yet another engineer with his back turned while he repaired something, I am guessing, and had to helplessly watch his quad-shot alternating dual Jackhammers just hit the AMS instead, even though he was aiming at my vehicle entrance animation.

Last edited by Traak; 2011-07-18 at 08:20 PM.
Old 2011-07-18, 09:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
Adding probably close to a 100 animations along with interior textures is a joke?

Maybe you should write to Smedley and volunteer to do this. I'm sure the community will love you and it's only a few hours of work for you, anyway!
Seriously, thank you for pointing this out.

Although there probably aren't 100 animations (more likely 25-35) this is still a LOT of work for a team of animators. And that is not even getting into having modelers rig the hatches to animate as well as creating internal sections for the vehicles.

That is a lot of time and money for the feature. Although I would love to see it return, I know that it is no small feat to add said feature in.
Old 2011-07-18, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
CrystalViolet
First Lieutenant

The hatch stuff would be a breeze to animate as your dealing with solid objects moving on a single axis. A professional animator could probably do every vehicle in the game in a matter of hours. The character stuff is a bit more involved, but if you used a similarly sized seat in every vehicle, you could probably get away with a single "sit down" animation for each armor type. Just make it so that you have to be standing in front of the seat to activate the motion.
Old 2011-07-18, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
1Shotwonder
Private

makes a more realistic feel to it like what we going to do pop into a veh. then oh guess what we magically pop out that just sounds like its being half assed
Old 2011-07-18, 09:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
Volw
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by IceyCold View Post
Seriously, thank you for pointing this out.

Although there probably aren't 100 animations (more likely 25-35) this is still a LOT of work for a team of animators. And that is not even getting into having modelers rig the hatches to animate as well as creating internal sections for the vehicles.

That is a lot of time and money for the feature. Although I would love to see it return, I know that it is no small feat to add said feature in.

I've made a quick calculation in my head before I've posted.

Galaxy alone is 13-14 animations? Minus a few as they are mirrored. Then there is Liberator with 3. Two seated Reaver with 2 etc.

Sunderer and deliverer also quite a few animations per vehicle.

Empire specific tanks and buggies - 14 animations.

Plus the generic vehicles, turrets and whatnot.

I'm quite sure the total number is quite close to a 100...

I'm guessing they're using motion capture, which would make it a bit of a trick to do right, I guess.

I think the easiest and actually quite 'canon' solution would be to ... have a small router pad like item to transfer people inside, which would take, say 2-3 second to power up. Same with exiting.

Thoughts?
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion