To be honest, I'm disappointed PS2 is copying CoD/BF's gunplay. - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: side effects may include: persistent fixed glazed eyes
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-12, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Stardouser
Colonel

Re: To be honest, I'm disappointed PS2 is copying CoD/BF's gunplay.

Originally Posted by roguy View Post
As far as i understood it, he was talking about pretty much just ironsights.

But to address your argument I disagree that the excessively low "hardcore-mode" TTKs of BF and COD (that i hate too) are the current trend considering some of the other recent mainstream FPS'. Like Halo, Tribes:Ascend, Section 8, Bioshock 2, Brink, Left 4 Dead, TF2 to name the ones off the top of my head...

That said, IMHO PS1's TTK was just too long. Especially since the patch that added 50 extra armor to rexos.
What's funny about this is that over at Mordor, people who want the game to return to BF2 with its longer TTK are considered "hardcore". Yet when we talk about TTK, hardcore means a faster TTK. But what the "hardcore" BF2 vets are looking for is not a slower or faster TTK specifically, but a better teamwork experience with strategic options. You simply can't have that when you've got long range spraydowns and so-called "aggressive recons" running around getting 1 hit kills to the toe with bolt action sniper rifles.
Old 2012-03-12, 04:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
BuzzCutPsycho
Sergeant Major

I really liked the TTK shown in the video.
Old 2012-03-12, 06:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
roguy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
What's funny about this is that over at Mordor, people who want the game to return to BF2 with its longer TTK are considered "hardcore". Yet when we talk about TTK, hardcore means a faster TTK. But what the "hardcore" BF2 vets are looking for is not a slower or faster TTK specifically, but a better teamwork experience with strategic options. You simply can't have that when you've got long range spraydowns and so-called "aggressive recons" running around getting 1 hit kills to the toe with bolt action sniper rifles.
I totally I agree but I'm not talking about who is Hardcore, I'm just using the name of the game mode in COD and BF3 where 1 bullet to the chest is enough to kill.
Old 2012-03-12, 06:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
JHendy
First Sergeant

I agree with what Stardouser said - Hi by the way, read a lot of your posts on EAUK, I'm a lurker on that forum but I did visit regularly prior to BF3 turning out to be a trainwreck. Good to have you here.

It speaks volumes that a developer actually cares enough about their product that they're willing to come onto a community forum and set the record straight. Real community interaction is the last thing a lazy developer would be interested in.

VanuMAXguy was but a turd in the punchbowl.
Old 2012-03-12, 06:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by JHendy View Post
I agree with what Stardouser said - Hi by the way, read a lot of your posts on EAUK, I'm a lurker on that forum but I did visit regularly prior to BF3 turning out to be a trainwreck. Good to have you here.

It speaks volumes that a developer actually cares enough about their product that they're willing to come onto a community forum and set the record straight. Real community interaction is the last thing a lazy developer would be interested in.

VanuMAXguy was but a turd in the punchbowl.
Yea; we tried to save Battlefield, but it was a lost cause. I'll be paying attention to the next BF game, whether it's BF4 or 2143, and if they are carbon copies of BF3 I'll no longer be paying attention after that.

I don't think DICE is lazy, they just...got swept up by a big corporation that's directing them to make the game easier, for more sales, even though it lacks the depth to keep people playing it. Which plays into EA's hands all the more since people will be ready to buy the next game a year later.
Old 2012-03-12, 06:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
JHendy
First Sergeant

Yea; we tried to save Battlefield, but it was a lost cause. I'll be paying attention to the next BF game, whether it's BF4 or 2143, and if they are carbon copies of BF3 I'll no longer be paying attention after that.

I don't think DICE is lazy, they just...got swept up by a big corporation that's directing them to make the game easier, for more sales, even though it lacks the depth to keep people playing it. Which plays into EA's hands all the more since people will be ready to buy the next game a year later.
Indeed mate. No doubting that. EA's involvement is the biggest problem, but I also get the feeling that the guys at DICE aren't really aware of what made their old core franchise games so special, any more.

BF3 doesn't really feel like it knows what it's about.

They need to rehire the guys from Trauma Studios, or start listening to their core community.
Old 2012-03-12, 07:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
fod
Master Sergeant

yeah i have given up on battlefield 3 myself but the direction it has gone in i dont think any future battlefields will fix the problem - especially when "telemetry" says metro is the most popular map

smaller maps/less teamwork/shorter TTK's/excessive 3d spotting is now the future of battlefield
i spend more time now over here than mordor
Old 2012-03-12, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Yutty
Sergeant

Originally Posted by BuzzCutPsycho View Post
I really liked the TTK shown in the video.
You liked how the Time to Kill a Heavy Assault with a Light Assault took 1 second?
Old 2012-03-12, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Dreamcast
Major

LMAO...Thats not Call of duty or BF gunplay.

That's straight up Killzone 2 tactics and gunplay except with better gun sway.....and I like that.
Old 2012-03-12, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Patek
Private

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
LMAO...Thats not Call of duty or BF gunplay.

That's straight up Killzone 2 tactics and gunplay except with better gun sway.....and I like that.
oh man the killzone series rocked! and that reminds me that KZ3 MP is up for download lol

Last edited by Patek; 2012-03-12 at 10:10 PM. Reason: ahhh damn you spelling! @_@
Old 2012-03-12, 10:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Sifer2
Major

All I know is carefully watching the GDC gameplay vids is the TTK is all over the damn place. With sometimes the Heavy Assaults dropping in a few shots. I'm thinking it might be the headshot factor. With random bullets from the spray dinging people in the noggin for massive extra damage. Which is exactly why I didn't really want headshots in the game in the first place. Going to make the gunplay feel as random, and silly as TF2 with its crits.

What's sad is when you say things like you don't like Ironsights, Headshots, or Killstreaks people act like your a grandpa stuck in the past. Not everything in newer shooters is better. I always felt Ironsights just slowed things down. I only want them in games going out of their way to be realistic with one shot kills, prone/lean, wounding, and such. It only got popular in mainstream games because of how COD used it as an aiming crutch mechanism where going into Ironsights locks onto the nearest target. So of course the casuals than can't aim are addicted to it now.

In the end I just hope that when Beta starts that the Planetside devs will listen to their fanbase. Don't worry about what you think you need to do to attract the Battlefield/COD players cause I promise you most of them probably could give two ****'s about this game. You can try out all this stuff like the Killcams but if everyone that plays the beta tells you it sucks in polls then drop it.
Old 2012-03-12, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
All I know is carefully watching the GDC gameplay vids is the TTK is all over the damn place. With sometimes the Heavy Assaults dropping in a few shots. I'm thinking it might be the headshot factor. With random bullets from the spray dinging people in the noggin for massive extra damage. Which is exactly why I didn't really want headshots in the game in the first place. Going to make the gunplay feel as random, and silly as TF2 with its crits.

What's sad is when you say things like you don't like Ironsights, Headshots, or Killstreaks people act like your a grandpa stuck in the past. Not everything in newer shooters is better. I always felt Ironsights just slowed things down. I only want them in games going out of their way to be realistic with one shot kills, prone/lean, wounding, and such. It only got popular in mainstream games because of how COD used it as an aiming crutch mechanism where going into Ironsights locks onto the nearest target. So of course the casuals than can't aim are addicted to it now.

In the end I just hope that when Beta starts that the Planetside devs will listen to their fanbase. Don't worry about what you think you need to do to attract the Battlefield/COD players cause I promise you most of them probably could give two ****'s about this game. You can try out all this stuff like the Killcams but if everyone that plays the beta tells you it sucks in polls then drop it.
There's a huge section of BF players who aren't liking the new low TTK of BF; but aim down sight as a game mechanic doesn't really seem like a bad thing in any shooter. But ADS aside, there's a lot of us hating killcam, and many other casualizations.

Unlike CoD BTW, aiming down sight doesn't autolock any targets...
Old 2012-03-12, 11:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Yutty View Post
You liked how the Time to Kill a Heavy Assault with a Light Assault took 1 second?
TTK on rexo is like 1.2-1.4 with HA in PS1.
Old 2012-03-12, 11:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
Skitrel
Contributor
Captain

There's a huge section of BF players who aren't liking the new low TTK of BF; but aim down sight as a game mechanic doesn't really seem like a bad thing in any shooter. But ADS aside, there's a lot of us hating killcam, and many other casualizations.

Unlike CoD BTW, aiming down sight doesn't autolock any targets...
Keep up, killcam isn't going to be how it was shown in the GDC video. It'll be on a black background, no location intel will be discernible from it.

Mod: /r/gamernews
Join The Enclave: http://www.enclaveoilrig.com
Old 2012-03-12, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by Skitrel View Post
Keep up, killcam isn't going to be how it was shown in the GDC video. It'll be on a black background, no location intel will be discernible from it.
I know that, I'm just saying that the entire BF community isn't happy with what DICE has done to casualize it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion