Virtual Reality Training [Try before you buy] - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than a root canal.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-02, 03:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Testing weapons before you spend certs.

Originally Posted by Tssha View Post
Sorry, that's incorrect, vehicles cost a set amount of resources to purchase, regardless of equipment (for now).

Check out the Higby and Total Biscuit stream, they talk about it at one point.
No, what he means is like with guns, you don't have to buy the right to pull them.

Like, you buy a gun once, you can always use that gun even if you don't have the resources for the attachment.

They said the default vehicles costing resources was up in the air at the moment.
Old 2012-06-02, 04:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
No, what he means is like with guns, you don't have to buy the right to pull them.

Like, you buy a gun once, you can always use that gun even if you don't have the resources for the attachment.

They said the default vehicles costing resources was up in the air at the moment.
What bags said.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-06-02, 04:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Certs enhance existing weapons, so you'll already "own" the weapon and be able to test it out before you spend any cert points on it. If we added something like this is would be before you bought it (using Auraxium / StationCash), and currently we don't have plans for try before you buy. If this is something a lot of people want we could potentially add it post-launch.
Surely it would be pretty simple to make a button on the menu screen that dumps you in a room with a term with all options unlocked on it?

Personally it would encourage me to buy a load of stuff, on the first day i'd try out a bunch of stuff i wanted for my main weapons and buy them. If i couldn't try them i'd prob stick to earning the stuff in game until someone had posted a youtube vid of it.
Old 2012-06-02, 05:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
Shogun
Contributor
General

being able to load part of a continent in offline mode directly from the loader with all options unlocked and all 3 factions stuff available would be nice.

you could test out your favorite loadout and check what you need to buy for it, you could check which faction you would like the best before you have to choose one and are locked to this decision (newcomers would love that), and you could learn to fly without losing ressources with every crash and ruining your k/d ratio, if you are a leaderbordwhore.

offline mode would put no stress on servers while you do this.
enemys are not needed, but since there already is some ai done, they could even give you an enemy spawn menu to choose something specific to shoot at. with a passive/unarmed active/armed active option.

just don´t connect this to the live servers in any way. don´t even use the char or account. you start the game, and even before you log into your account you can click on offline training and end up on indar with something resembling the actual admin menu, being able to change factions, classes,vehicles and spawning enemys at will.

oh and this would be the place for stupid "congratulations, you just learned how to walk around! now try to aim at something and press a button on your mouse to shoot" popups most modern games smash in the faces of their retarded players. (with an option to turn it all off, of course)

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!

Last edited by Shogun; 2012-06-02 at 05:19 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 05:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
being able to load part of a continent in offline mode directly from the loader with all options unlocked and all 3 factions stuff available would be nice.

you could test out your favorite loadout and check what you need to buy for it, you could check which faction you would like the best before you have to choose one and are locked to this decision (newcomers would love that), and you could learn to fly without losing ressources with every crash and ruining your k/d ratio, if you are a leaderbordwhore.

offline mode would put no stress on servers while you do this.
enemys are not needed, but since there already is some ai done, they could even give you an enemy spawn menu to choose something specific to shoot at. with a passive/unarmed active/armed active option.

just don´t connect this to the live servers in any way. don´t even use the char or account. you start the game, and even before you log into your account you can click on offline training and end up on indar with something resembling the actual admin menu, being able to change factions, classes,vehicles and spawning enemys at will.
That does sound cool. And doesn't sound too hard to implement. Basically lets you be like a developer in Alpha.
Old 2012-06-02, 05:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
Shogun
Contributor
General

that´s what i was aiming for

maximum effect with minimum developement time. most of the tools are already there, so why not use them for such a thing?

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-06-02, 06:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
ringring
Contributor
General

I don't know what the solution is but there should be some way of reversing a wrong spending decision, if you do it within a defined and short timescale.

I mean if the decision is one that meant spending (real) cash especially.

There is also the scenario that you have spent time earning XP and you have put it all into, I don't know, say Galaxy enhancements but now you wish you had put it into main battle tank enhancements. This type of reversal could easily be a paid service.
Old 2012-06-02, 06:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
Myomoto
Private

Please add something like the firing range from PS1, getting play with weapons and their effectiveness at different ranges was why I originally came to fall in love with the Thumper grenade thrower.

PS: Please bring back the Thumper while you're at it. Have it be an engineer only weapon that replaces his carbine rifle, and let him load it with different grenade types, like jammers for clearing out enemy deployables/mine fields/revealing cloakers, and some kind of lasting AoE grenade that he can use to temporarily deny areas to infantry (although that might get problematic balance-wise when fighting indoors).
Old 2012-06-02, 06:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #84
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Good point, because testing the attachments is something a little bit different from testing unmodifiable guns.

+1 for VRSR

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #85
Fanglord
Sergeant

As long as the weapons are reasonably priced I plan on buying most of them anyways; I can't stand not having variety.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Try before you buy is a concept real money transaction games don't use enough of.
A firing range in the empire foothold would be enough for testing purposes.
I would prefer a 30 minute trial available 2-3 times a week, plus 4-5 5 minute trials (counter resets midnight sunday) to test out gear in-combat before laying down a cert that may be better spent elsewhere.

I agree with many other people here.
Reasonable pricing is essential.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-06-02 at 07:44 AM.
Old 2012-06-02, 07:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
PS1 had a VR test room where you could try out the weapons before spending cert points on them. The penalty wasn't very severe, because you could revert the change 6 hours later if you still made a mistake.

In PS2 you won't be able to roll everything back, and a lot of the stuff you'll be using will cost money as well as time, so I think it's all the more necessary to have something similar to that VR test in the new game to see if it's worth the spending.

End statement.
Agreed.

And easy enough to do. Just allow weapon firing in the foothold with no friendly fire. Then allow enemy bots to spawn in cerain areas so we can shoot them. Provide a few cabinets/pads for sample weapons and vehicles that can't be taken out of the foothold and Bob's your uncle!
Old 2012-06-02, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Fanglord View Post
As long as the weapons are reasonably priced I plan on buying most of them anyways; I can't stand not having variety.
I doubt you'll want to buy all the weps/attachments for real cash, looks like there's a fuck load.

Plus if you do that all the currency you earn ingame will be wasted, surely it's better to buy you priority weps/atts for cash and earn the ingame cash to fill up the collections?
Old 2012-06-02, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Also prioritization is an easy argument to make. Software development comes down to scoping and prioritization. There's a lot of neat stuff that simply doesn't make the bar, and wasting time on it is squandering opportunity to do stuff that can make a huge difference in the product.
lots of scope creep on these boards, lol.
Old 2012-06-08, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
DarkTower
Private

Try before you buy

Think I've seen a thread or two on this topic, but couldn't find it through search, so please post a link to the right thread if I've got it wrong.

Anyway, simple question: will there be a return of the Virtual Reality system, or some other system where we can try weapons before we buy them? I'm not great at FPSs, so finding a weapon that 'feels' right is very important to me, so that I don't waste my time collecting resources for a gun that I won't use again. Or, will there be a reset at the end of beta / launch, so that I can play around with as many guns as I want, and then only spend resources on the ones I'll actually use once the game is released?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion