Religion - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: SPAM SPAM SPAM
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum

View Poll Results: What do you identify yourself as?
Atheist/Skeptic/Agnostic 151 70.89%
Catholic 21 9.86%
Protestant 24 11.27%
Jewish 5 2.35%
Muslim 2 0.94%
Philisophy (Such as Buddhism) 10 4.69%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-03-04, 03:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Fenrys
Major

Re: Religion

I want to eat your baby . . .

. . . carrots, dipped in ranch dressing.
Old 2012-03-04, 06:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
Irrelevant.

Do you like to eat hotdogs on Friday?
Genetics is a science. If you're not trained in a field of science, then you're not qualified to have an opinion on it, and how you feel it might work doesn't matter as you don't have the training or experience to make your feeling worth considering. Even those of us with science undergraduate degrees are not even close to qualified. Unless you're a published PhD when it comes to a fundamental aspect of a given science, nobody cares what your opinion is because you don't know anything.

What's worse, it's far more likely that, rather than having an opinion as an educated layperson which might simply suffer from higher-end ignorance of the topic, you simply don't understand the fundamentals. If you've never taken any university-level courses in genetics at all, I would have to wonder exactly what this unimportant opinion of yours is even predicated on. Some Google searches? A creationism YouTube video?

Oh, and just to spoil the end of this for you, you're wrong and should not assert things about genetics you clearly have no idea about.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-03-04 at 06:13 PM.
Old 2012-03-04, 06:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Genetics is a science. If you're not trained in a field of science, then you're not qualified to have an opinion on it, and how you feel it might work doesn't matter as you don't have the training or experience to make your feeling worth considering. Even those of us with science undergraduate degrees are not even close to qualified. Unless you're a published PhD when it comes to a fundamental aspect of a given science, nobody cares what your opinion is because you don't know anything.

What's worse, it's far more likely that, rather than having an opinion as an educated layperson which might simply suffer from higher-end ignorance of the topic, you simply don't understand the fundamentals. If you've never taken any university-level courses in genetics at all, I would have to wonder exactly what this unimportant opinion of yours is even predicated on. Some Google searches? A creationism YouTube video?
Spoken like a True Believer. Your faith is remarkable.

Oh, and just to spoil the end of this for you, you're wrong and should not assert things about genetics you clearly have no idea about.
Perhaps.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-03-04 at 06:27 PM.
Old 2012-03-04, 06:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Ah yes, the ol' "science is a religion" schtick that stupid, uneducated people trot out anytime someone spanks them for trying to make scientific assertions despite being entirely ignorant about the topic they're discussing. Your dumb is golden, Fenrys. Keep it up.
Old 2012-03-04, 07:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Vancha
Colonel

You guys suck at arguing. This is how you do it...

I'm not convinced that's true.
Why?

I don't have a satisfactory explanation yet, but I think it may be related to the nature of consciousness and the connection between emergent intelligence and entropy.
On what basis do you think this?
Old 2012-03-04, 07:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Sirisian
Colonel

Mutations and such are random
I'm not convinced that's true.

I don't have a satisfactory explanation yet, but I think it may be related to the nature of consciousness and the connection between emergent intelligence and entropy.
I'm not sure how much background you have, but you should read about the molecular clock. It's an important concept derived from "random" mutations and has a lot of scientific backing.

You need to take a lot of university courses or read a lot before it starts to make sense. I've taken a few classes, but I can't really go into depth. The topics are outside my field of study. Your second comment sounds like a pretty ignorant understanding of genetics. Reminds me of the alternate theory of evolution. Lamarck's theory.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-04 at 07:57 PM.
Old 2012-03-04, 08:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Whalenator
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Whenever I hear the word "Lamarck".
BOOM GIRAFFE NECKS.

NC Brig. General ಠ_ರೃ
Old 2012-03-04, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
You guys suck at arguing. This is how you do it...

Why?

On what basis do you think this?

It's an internally consistent model, and predictively useful. For any given system there are a number of possible models that will be accurate enough to be predictively useful. The model that students are taught is often the one that best simplifies the math, and IMO this is as it should be.

However, I remain unconvinced that the current (useful and precise) model of evolution accurately reflects reality as it truly is. There are too many questions that remain unanswered, especially regarding the genesis of energy and negative entropy. I don't believe that we have yet emerged from Plato's cave.

Concomitant to my skepticism regarding our understanding of the basic nature of reality, I observe that many patterns repeat themselves at various scales. Atoms look like solar systems, solar systems look like galaxies, galaxies and nebulae form a macro scale web that resembles the micro scale foam of background radiation and virtual particles. Trees look like blood vessels, a styrofoam peanut falling into a whirlpool looks like a photon falling into a black hole, and a coastline looks like a coastline no matter how far in or out you zoom the camera. Without having an explanation that I find satisfactory for the next leap that I make, I suspect that consciousness could be one of the patterns that repeats in this apparently fractal-like reality. Energy vortices at very small and very large scales could potentially be self-aware and have a pattern that is similar to the self-organizing energy vortex that is our brain (or whatever the source of our consciousness may be).

If that were the case, it would follow that events that are apparently random to observes at the human scale, could in fact be the result of a decision made by an entity that believes itself possessed of free will.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-03-04 at 09:48 PM.
Old 2012-03-04, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Do you respect others belief of unicorns, since no once can prove or disprove the existence of them, too? On what planet do we as human beings ever think the beliefs of other people are to be respected simply because they're their beliefs? Do we respect political beliefs? Do we respect beliefs about conspiracy theories? Or end-of-the-world stuff?
If people want to believe in unicorns then by all means I respect their decision. However in the case of unicorns they are supposed to exist in the physical realm of earth and yet we haven't found them, this gives us a scientific way to deduce that they in fact do not exist. With gods and things that are supposed to exist in another plane of existence/outside of the physical realm there really is no way to test it.

Religion is fine when it's a private, personal belief. But it's not, is it? Religious people just can't help but try to legislate based on their religious beliefs. Whether it's laws restriction abortion, or gay marriage, or whatever else, we can't escape the influence of people who exert their religion on others and feel it's their right to do so because their religion is the right one.
Personally I believe WHOLE HEARTEDLY in the separation of Church and State. Personal beliefs of one group should never be part of the governing system of a country where the populace is a mixture of many different cultures. On the other end of things there are many personal beliefs put into politics that have nothing to do with religion. I know quite a few atheists who hate gays just as much as Christians, just based on personal bias.

On the other hand, I have no issue with gay marriage or abortion being voted on by the people (I support gay marriage, and I have no feelings on abortion either way). If the people want it then they should damn well have it. This is supposed to be a democracy, not a theocracy.

Obviously it isn't every religious person who does this, and indeed I have a lot of respect for the Amish for their religious beliefs. They're just about the only people in North America who aren't full of shit hypocrites regarding what they say they believe and how they live. But it isn't like if you just don't talk about religion it won't affect your life. We can't escape it. Whether in Canada or the USA, politicians are constantly trying to garner the votes of the religious zealots by proposing legislation that panders to their interests. One day it's prohibition (yes, that was a religiously motivated idea), the next day it's contraceptives.
As long as people have the ability to think they will always have personal beliefs. With or without religion, humans will look for some way to give their opinions and personal views some form of merit over those of others. And every group is guilty of it, religious or not.

The only thing separating "the West" from places like Iran is the fact that we are honest about not respecting religious beliefs outright. We don't take shit from religion unless it obeys our secular state and federal laws. Once upon a time it was religion that ran the show, but after all the torture and murder and tyranny and suppression of knowledge people got tired of that nonsense, and the Enlightenment happened. Now religion is forced to live in the shadow of our secular societies, but it is always trying to regain its lost power, and it is to our undoing if we ever forget what it used to do to people when it had the power.
And yet in times where religions were extremely powerful (see the Roman, Mayan, Egyptian, Aztec, Greek, Chinese, ect.) incredible feats of engineering and scientific discovery occurred. Religion can be a powerful uniting force or it can be a crippling wound that prevents any forward movement; the problem is ignorance both inside and outside of the church. Currently I would completely agree that the Christians tend to be overly ridiculous in their uncanny ability to ignore modern science and human advancement just to grasp desperately to their old and outdated beliefs. That is why I believe so heavily in the separation of Church and State; if the religious wish to refuse the advance of mankind then they will simply fade into the dust.
Old 2012-03-04, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
IceyCold
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
and this shit goes political. Go figure.
Haha, it always does Duke. That's what makes it so fun .
Old 2012-03-04, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
Traak
Colonel

I had no idea the playerbase was so slanted away from people who subscribe to anything that might be a universal sense of right and wrong, but it sure fits with the character of the people I see online and in this forum.

Last edited by Traak; 2012-03-04 at 11:06 PM.
Old 2012-03-04, 10:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Vancha
Colonel

Can the last hour please just go away?
Old 2012-03-04, 11:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
I had no idea the playerbase was so slanted away from people who subscribe to anything that might be a universal sense of right and wrong, but it sure fits with the character of the people I see online and in this forum.
You mean objectively right and wrong? The poll can't really tell you much about right and wrong. While a lot of Atheists follow a more humanist philosophy of right and wrong which tends to be more objectively guided it would be wrong to assume that. Currently you have 11 people that follow a religious teaching and a form of biblical right and wrong. (Assuming they cherry picked the right passages to follow). I don't see anything universal about that. Though "universal" is a misnomer since it's subjectively biased.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-03-04 at 11:26 PM.
Old 2012-03-05, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #89
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

This thread should be in Political Debate.
Old 2012-03-05, 12:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
Warhound
Corporal

Pastafarian, the way of the noodle is the only path!

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Political Debate Forum