NPC's in planetside? - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-19, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: NPC's in planetside?

Originally Posted by Aurmanite View Post
Planetside isn't about fully immersive living worlds. Planetside is a multiplayer shooter.
Planetside 1 was kind of immersive. I mean you had an alien world in a sense where they added odd looking trees and rocks to try to create a unique world. Obviously technology and time held them back last time. They specifically mentioned in the old screenshots and commentary that they intended to add creatures into the world and even programmed a pathfinding system for them, but dropped them later. So they intended to make a fully immersive world inside of a shooter and bring the full MMOFPS experience of Auraxis alive. I was hoping they time they could do it.

Do other multiplayer shooters have NPC's and fully immersive living worlds? No.
Are there really any other MMOFPS games like Planetside 2? No? Okay they better no do anything then. Do you really want to restrict what an MMOFPS can be?
Old 2012-02-19, 10:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Planetside 1 was kind of immersive. I mean you had an alien world in a sense where they added odd looking trees and rocks to try to create a unique world. Obviously technology and time held them back last time. They specifically mentioned in the old screenshots and commentary that they intended to add creatures into the world and even programmed a pathfinding system for them, but dropped them later. So they intended to make a fully immersive world inside of a shooter and bring the full MMOFPS experience of Auraxis alive. I was hoping they time they could do it.

Are there really any other MMOFPS games like Planetside 2? No? Okay they better no do anything then. Do you really want to restrict what an MMOFPS can be?
Here you linked me screenshots of them thinking about adding creatures and them dropping them. Can you guess why? Because they added nothing to the experience.

Yes I do want to restrict what an MMOFPS is. I want the focus to be on the M M O F P S

Massively multiplayer first person shooter. What about those words, when joined together, suggests to you that NPC's would fit into the genre? The Massively muliplayer? No. Online? No. First person shooter? No.
Old 2012-02-19, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by DaddyTickles View Post
Or we could just not have them at all.

Lol "intricate stroy plot lines", indeed.
Wow keep thinking like that and are new shiny game will die real fast just like PS1 did with the highest pop only touching 75k, you really have no clue how many new players this game will have to attract to be successful, and how competitive the gaming market is today compared to 2003 do you. We need not just fps clone players but also all those mmorpg fans to that play all different kinds of games. Hell I remember playing with all the EQ players jumping over to planetside when it first came out, guess what they didn't last long and today those players are not going to like a static dead world even more.
Old 2012-02-19, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Aurmanite
Captain

Originally Posted by Livefire View Post
Wow keep thinking like that and are new shiny game will die real fast just like PS1 did with the highest pop only touching 75k, you really have no clue how many new players this game will have to attract to be successful, and how competitive the gaming market is today compared to 2003 do you. We need not just fps clone players but also all those mmorpg fans to that play all different kinds of games. Hell I remember playing with all the EQ players jumping over to planetside when it first came out, guess what they didn't last long and today those players are not going to like a static dead world even more.
Do you think that Planetside's population had anything to do with the lack of NPC's?

I think it had more to do with
A) Lack of promotion; which lead to
B) Lack of awareness
C) It felt like an old shooter when it was released
D) Everquest players probably got tired of being stomped on

Do some research on other games that tried this same approach.
Old 2012-02-19, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Do you think that Planetside's population had anything to do with the lack of NPC's?

I think it had more to do with
A) Lack of promotion; which lead to
B) Lack of awareness
C) It felt like an old shooter when it was released
D) Everquest players probably got tired of being stomped on

Do some research on other games that tried this same approach.
You mean lack of population right? No not just the lack of a living world, a total lack of stuff across the board that other games had then and even more have now. And your list is right but lacking many other things to which they will need to get right if they want success and a living breathing world is just one of them. This is a automatic accepted normal thing to the entire mmo player base. I believe planet side is a huge persistent world MMO right? The FPS part explain's the play style of the game and that has nothing to do with this discussion for we all agree this should be 100 percent PVP not PVE. Those I do want human NPC's just not ones that shoot back. It would be very fun to Massacre TR NPC civ's in a base cap even if it came with grief

Last edited by Livefire; 2012-02-19 at 10:48 PM.
Old 2012-02-19, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Aurmanite
Captain

You mean lack of population right? No not just the lack of a living world, a total lack of stuff across the board that other games had then and even more have now. And your list is right but lacking many other things to which they will need to get right if they want success and a living breathing world is just one of them. This is a automatic accepted normal thing to the entire mmo player base. I believe planet side is a huge persistent world MMO right? The FPS part explain's the play style of the game and that has nothing to do with this discussion for we all agree this should be 100 percent PVP not PVE. Those I do want human NPC's just not ones that shoot back. It would be very fun to Massacre TR NPC civ's in a base cap even if it came with grief
So you just want to kill sprites that have no AI? For what reason? What does this add to Planetside that will draw people in? How will you killing human NPC's that don't shoot back improve the immersion?

Those are rhetorical questions. I don't actually want you to answer them because there is no suitable answer. It's just a really, epically, supremely, *adjective*ly bad idea.

If you want to be immersed in a living breathing world, read a great book. If you want to play a game that has 1000's of people to shoot, play Planetside.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

So you just want to kill sprites that have no AI? For what reason? What does this add to Planetside that will draw people in? How will you killing human NPC's that don't shoot back improve the immersion?

Those are rhetorical questions. I don't actually want you to answer them because there is no suitable answer. It's just a really, epically, supremely, *adjective*ly bad idea.

If you want to be immersed in a living breathing world, read a great book. If you want to play a game that has 1000's of people to shoot, play Planetside.
Please read the whole tread before your post what you are addressing, shows you do not know the context it was written in.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by NivexQ View Post
I'm just going to guess that everyone that said "No." didn't even get past the title. Shame on you.
I'm just going to guess that you made a blanket generalisation on everyone that said "No." as "didn't even get past the title". Shame on you. I read the fucking entire ridiculous mess.

I said no. In caps, bold and max-size.

After going back to pick up where I left off (which was where I posted), I saw your comment. I therefore re-read the fucking entire ridiculous mess.

I still say

NO.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
WaryWizard
Sergeant

I don't see why the instant people say NPC they think of an AI with a gun shooting at you.

I don't want any form of humanoid NPCs at all. I would however be ok with birds and small animals in the wilderness away from areas that will most likely have large amounts of players.(bases, towers, etc.)

They won't add much, but it could be nice to look at. I wouldn't want them to put it as a high priority or anything like that, but it would be a nice little addition.

Last edited by WaryWizard; 2012-02-19 at 11:21 PM.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by NivexQ View Post
This community is way too god damn dismissive. I'm just going to guess that everyone that said "No." didn't even get past the title. Shame on you.

Anyway, I think it would be great to have npc creatures roaming the planets, and npc humans roaming the cities, as long as performance is not an issue. I wouldn't want the game toned down to implement this either.
Yes. I IronMole did not even play this game they called Planetside.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Fixed.
Sorry, you fixed nothing.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
This again.................

Edit: attempt to prove why there should be NPC's in this game and I will prove to you by means of logic given the type of game created why there should not be.

**Challenge**
I'm confused. Are you challenging me?

Would be pretty hard to do when I'm against this crappy NPC idea.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
You just made a post that makes threads die by not posting something substantial to the topic at hand....

I want someone to convice me we need NPC's in this game.
I will send it to you in a personal message right now Go into the chat room it is a complicated idea and I can discuss it there.

Last edited by Livefire; 2012-02-19 at 11:32 PM.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Wrong, Wrong big time I have played since beta and can hold my own just fine And I also know that at 3 in the morning hanging out in a dead world when ever it is not packed with players sucks. I want a fully immersive living world in planetside. And I think it can be done in 2012 with out performance drop.
So, you want to look at pretty birds at 3am? If you were indeed a PS player since beta, then you will know why the servers were not "populated" at silly times in the morning.

There are several reasons why PS died, having no NPCs wasn't one of them. There are several hardcore players. Those who like FPS games, those who prefer the RPG side.

Adding NPC's will not automatically make RPG players come to Planetside.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
WaryWizard
Sergeant

I will send it to you in a personal message right now Go into the chat room it is a complicated idea and I can discuss it there.
I think he would want it in the thread so everyone can see it.

The only thing I can think of is immersion. Looking at this great forest/meadow and not any form of life at all is kinda meh.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion