Stomp on harrassment from the start - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Please don't pet the Hamma.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-04, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
proxy
Contributor
Sergeant

Re: Stomp on harrassment from the start

1) Saying that it's not a big deal when you're part of the majority is a non starter.

2) Having public forums with little or no consequence for your actions is the problem. (see John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory). What we need is a way to gauge the validity and history of what a person has to say. If they get muted and ignored all the time, then they should start being muted automatically by the services we use (see this episode of Extra Credits). Not a perfect solution but a start. There has to be consequences that mean something when people cross the line into abuse.

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.

Last edited by proxy; 2012-06-04 at 12:17 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

It's sad how many people shut up and go away in online games when they learn I am a dood playing a female character. I feel for the real females out there, especially as a father of three girls. We'll be moving to the far side of the moon in a couple years!

All forms of harassment should be taken seriously, especially the trolling and negativity on the official forums. Lord knows that the SOE haters from SWG will back to troll the PS2 forums, because they having nothing better to do. It was always awful when free play time for SWG came up and it makes the whole community look (and feel) bad. Honestly, it should cost $15/m in purchases to post on the forums.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Goldeh
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Winfernal View Post
Truth be told, i don't like obvious "white knighting"!

It can be very, very, VERY annoying to observe at times.
Eh, personally I find the whole idea of white knighting to be a very vague concept. It covers too many bases. You could call anyone and everyone who defends something or someone a white knight. Couldn't you?

For example: Vanu and a NC troopers are duking it out in the middle of no where when you show up and save the day, killing the Vanu. Vanu gets mad and says

"bloody white knight"

I mean it fits right? You came over and defended you ally from death. A beat down as it were.

And hey while were on the topic of white knights what about their opposites the black knights? Why isn't there a gaming thing for them?
Old 2012-06-04, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Dagron
Captain

Originally Posted by proxy View Post
1) Saying that it's not a big deal when you're part of the majority is a non starter.

2) Having public forums with little or no consequence for your actions is the problem. (see John Gabriel's Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory). What we need is a way to gauge the validity and history of what a person has to say. If they get muted and ignored all the time, then they should start being muted automatically by the services we use (see this episode of Extra Credits). Not a perfect solution but a start. There has to be consequences that mean something when people cross the line into abuse.
^This.

All i could do was feel the "ignore them" solution fell short somehow, i couldn't think of something more adequate.
What they propose at the Extra Credits video is a brilliant first step in the right direction. Thanks for posting it.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-04 at 12:33 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

NO, I am not a hero. I am not a good guy. I will not be your "white knight."

YES, I will make you cry every chance I get. If you show a vulnerability, I will exploit it until your sobbing for your mommy. Yes, FEEEEED ME with your tears. Why do this? Because I am an ignorant evil fuck that gets enjoyment out of your pain. That is all, please move along, nothing to see here (yet).
Old 2012-06-04, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
proxy
Contributor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goldeh View Post
And hey while were on the topic of white knights what about their opposites the black knights? Why isn't there a gaming thing for them?
It's just a flesh wound!

| cyberneticpunks.com - Hostile Takeovers - Liquidation - No Survivors
| Join the new face of the old guard.
Old 2012-06-04, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
NO, I am not a hero. I am not a good guy. I will not be your "white knight."

YES, I will make you cry every chance I get. If you show a vulnerability, I will exploit it until your sobbing for your mommy. Yes, FEEEEED ME with your tears. Why do this? Because I am a small, self loathing person that projects his feelings onto others as a way of coping with my internal pain. That is all, please move along, nothing to see here (yet).
Fixed that for you (and everyone else who acts like you).

Truth is not personal. It just is.
Old 2012-06-04, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Tatwi View Post
Fixed that for you (and everyone else who acts like you).

Truth is not personal. It just is.
So? What's your point.
Old 2012-06-04, 01:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
IMMentat
Contributor
First Sergeant

Abuse is a community wide problem in most games, the most effective counter is usually an over 18's only or family guild where the leaders actively enforce the "dont be a prat" rule.

In any competitive environment, annoyance and tempers frequently lead to the following equation.

It's one of the reasons Blizzard introduced the real ID system (it didn't work).
The only true counters are a mature community (not older, mature, though both usually pair up) with enough power to keep control of those who can't control themselves and a rapid reaction enforcement sysem that activley enforces common decency.

Last edited by IMMentat; 2012-06-04 at 01:40 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 01:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Santiak View Post
I take it that means we wholeheartedly agree
Yes
Old 2012-06-04, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
LightningDriver
Corporal

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
Hey man you can roll with my guys anytime. I am disgusted to hear that someone is that iggnorant and immature to poke at a disability. It seems you got it figured out though. He is the one with issues and is damn lucky he is hiding behind a computer screen or I would whoop his ass. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Thanks for being part of this community and message me anytime if you want some friendly mature gamers to play with when the game comes out.

Cheers mate
Well thanks!

It's good to know that there are good gamers on all three empires. I am sure we'll meet on the battlefield in a hail of bullets, then laugh and share stories on the forums of how I single-handedly beat the NC with a pocket knife.

Or, maybe something a little more modest. We can dream though.
Old 2012-06-04, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
laelgon
Corporal

I think we have to accept that there is going to be a lot of trash talking and cries of "Omg hax newb." Your taking people who are basically anonymous, putting them in with hundreds of other people, and then adding competition to the mix. On top of all that there's going to be a huge variation of skill levels that result in some people dying a lot more often than others. Tempers are inevitably going to flare. That's OK.

When it's no longer Ok is when it moves to the point of continually sending messages to a player (do we even know if you can send tells to the other team?), or constantly griefing them or getting others to do so. Stuff like that is where SOE needs to come down hard and fast.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I don't get what the problem is. Every time I get trash talked, I just stay calm, take a break from the game, and go in the kitchen to make myself a sammich.

This really is a non issue in a way though. This shit is all over the internet. The real issue is that Planetside 2 is F2P, so there will need to be ways that players can turn off /tells from random players, toggle on/off language filtering, etc.

Just limit accounts who have never purchased anything to a small number of /tells per hour, and block brand new accounts from sending a /tell to anyone who isn't on their friends list for the first few hours of gameplay.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
Dagron
Captain

Seriously, the best thing i heard so far was in the Extra Credits video: if someone gets muted too often, they should be automatically muted by everyone else's clients.
Eventually no one would hear them and they would either learn to behave or become lonely outcasts.
This creates a much better environment than the zero accountability one currently in place... It would mean if someone wants to be an asshat, they will have to live with the consequences just like irl.

Last edited by Dagron; 2012-06-04 at 02:22 PM.
Old 2012-06-04, 02:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
Aaramus
Corporal

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
Just limit accounts who have never purchased anything to a small number of /tells per hour, and block brand new accounts from sending a /tell to anyone who isn't on their friends list for the first few hours of gameplay.
This is a good idea! Maybe have it so that until you've played for a certain amount of time and gained a certain amount of xp/certs, you can't message people who aren't on your friends list.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion