News: Everyone's missing the new mobile PS2 app! - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Remember - it's adopt a noob month!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-16, 01:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

Re: Everyone's missing the new mobile PS2 app!

Originally Posted by Dkamanus View Post
Android please? Not everyone is an apple lover.
There will be Android too

Only Windows is unconfirmed I know of...
Old 2012-08-16, 09:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

So it's an overlay for web stats and it runs a vivox plugin. I'm curious how it'll compare to the potentially identical Dust514 vita app of the same vein.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice and all but not a technological marvel.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2012-08-16, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Lord Paladin
Corporal

Originally Posted by exLupo View Post
So it's an overlay for web stats and it runs a vivox plugin. I'm curious how it'll compare to the potentially identical Dust514 vita app of the same vein.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice and all but not a technological marvel.
Maybe not a technological one, but it is a gaming one.

And considering it's all going to be propritary, it's still a pretty impressive feat for SOE (especially considering your voice chat changes based on your location, what vehicle your'e in, etc..).
Old 2012-08-17, 05:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Not even a gaming one. Battlefield's let you look at loadouts and stats online for years. EVE's global influence map, while slower, is a web asset and you can access corporate comm channels via the EVE Gate site. SOE's been doing chat linking with the launchpad for even longer. The video says guild (outfit) chat, not local or anything. Which, without having a presence in game, only makes sense.

From everything I can tell, this is a web page with a pre-packaged vivox plugin all stuck in one of a number of mobile app wrappers.

Let players manage in-game assets via the app (read: more complicated security layers) and I'll be impressed.
There is no better cause to fight than the simple need that blood be spilled. Do not fight because you receive reward or praise. Fight because that other bastard exists solely to die beneath the heel of your boot.

And that was that.
Old 2012-08-17, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
Firearms
Sergeant

Let players manage in-game assets via the app (read: more complicated security layers) and I'll be impressed.
It will allow you to co-ordinate drone strikes and possibly give orders/missions.*

I might have made the last one up as I can't remember where I heard it....
Old 2012-08-17, 06:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
Warruz
Sergeant

Just as an odd note i wondered why they showed it on an ipad first, it has been my experience that PC gamers and techies tend to be on the android side of things.
Old 2012-08-17, 08:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #82
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Question Re: Everyone's missing the new mobile PS2 app!

Originally Posted by Warruz View Post
Just as an odd note i wondered why they showed it on an ipad first, it has been my experience that PC gamers and techies tend to be on the android side of things.
You are high as a kite, from my experience... All the techies (professional) I know use iPhone, and gamers too. For afew reasons, iOS is a smoother OS, haven't tried gingerbread on dual cores though, and the actual "techie" Apps such as: ping(ping, tracert, telnet, subnetping), winadmin(best RDP I've used for iPhone),zaTelnet(fantastic for VNC). There isn't a respectable equivalent in Android, so I don't understand why your "techie" friends would prefer a subpar platform....
Old 2012-08-17, 08:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #83
zomg
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Infektion View Post
You are high as a kite, from my experience... All the techies (professional) I know use iPhone, and gamers too. For afew reasons, iOS is a smoother OS, haven't tried gingerbread on dual cores though, and the actual "techie" Apps such as: ping(ping, tracert, telnet, subnetping), winadmin(best RDP I've used for iPhone),zaTelnet(fantastic for VNC). There isn't a respectable equivalent in Android, so I don't understand why your "techie" friends would prefer a subpar platform....
Yeah almost all tech people I've met IRL use iPhones. I have yet to meet a stereotypical raging Apple hater as you tend to see much online.

Some do have other phones for fiddling with (I had a Palm Pre 2 for that for example), but in the "it just works without having to mess with it" department, iPhone is pretty good.

Last edited by zomg; 2012-08-17 at 08:40 AM.
Old 2012-08-17, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Arcsilver
Private

If I'm able to send in droke strikes to locations of the map, (hopefully a long cooldown to prevent spam, say a day or so), hell I will bring it to geometry every day just to fire it on TR and NC territory.

Last edited by Arcsilver; 2012-08-17 at 12:03 PM.
Old 2012-08-17, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Infektion
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by zomg View Post
Yeah almost all tech people I've met IRL use iPhones. I have yet to meet a stereotypical raging Apple hater as you tend to see much online.

Some do have other phones for fiddling with (I had a Palm Pre 2 for that for example), but in the "it just works without having to mess with it" department, iPhone is pretty good.
I must admit, I'm a hardcore hater of apple, and their poor excuse for a "genius" bar tech side of things... Their mediocre community, and sad dumb down bourgeois product sponge market. Let me stop, LOL, They do make awesome phones though!
Old 2012-08-18, 03:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #86
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Firearms View Post
It will allow you to co-ordinate drone strikes and possibly give orders/missions.*

I might have made the last one up as I can't remember where I heard it....
Impressed!

And that was that.
Old 2012-08-18, 04:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #87
RoninOni
Sergeant Major

how you mean that?

If you mean spend your points and customize, all that's confirmed.

If your talking about issuing missions, I'm pretty sure that's been hinted at.

Originally Posted by zomg View Post

Techs I know all use android O.o

I do know some apple techs, but their all apple.

iPhone is better for your avg user easily, but most techs I talk to agree android wins hands down for it's customization.

Most people just want their phone to work though... and stock androids are kinda meh. If you know what you're doing on android though, you'll spend a lot less on apps (legitimately).

The one thing iPhone really had for a while was touch response time... iPhone was just faster. New androids I've seen though are up to par. Can't say anything about windows but I'd tend to be apprehensive.

Last edited by RoninOni; 2012-08-18 at 04:11 AM.
Old 2012-08-18, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #88
Rago
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I wish there would be a Pc Port of this.For the Second Monitor.
Old 2012-08-18, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
julfo
Sergeant

All the poor techs I know use android.

All the normal techs I know use iPhones.

All the sensible techs I know use jailbroken iPhones.
Old 2012-08-19, 01:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
exLupo
Contributor
Sergeant Major

Julfo's pretty much nailed it. I'm progressing away from "poor tech" but will probably stick with android as I'm comfortable with the apps I've been using. Serious love for swiftkey. That and Ouya will probably expand my stable of android (native or friendly) apps in time, too.

And that was that.

Last edited by exLupo; 2012-08-19 at 01:07 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion