Names of Friendlies Should be GREEN! - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Lather, Rinse, Repeat
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-11, 08:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
Karrade
First Sergeant

Re: Names of Friendlies Should be GREEN!

Originally Posted by SixShooter View Post
I would also like the kill spam to have the PS1 look as well with the faction colors instead of red and green. It was good to be able to see if there was a 3rd faction sneaking in on the action.

The best way would of course be full customization of these types of things.

I hadn't even thought of that, excellent catch - Very much want this.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Accuser
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
Now I know some of you are probably thinking "Meh, this'll just be part of the learning curve. However given the size of the likely PS2 playerbase during the first year of the game there will be A LOT of people experiencing their first 5 hours of gameplay.

In my opinion it'd get awfully annoying to keep getting TK'd because the IFF system had a learning curve on it!
More importantly, we'll have a lot more "transient" players in PS2 than we did in PS1. People will come try the free game and choose to continue or quit based on their first experience... We don't want that constant stream of new players Tking everything in sight, and we don't want new people to be turned off by constantly being TKed either.

Generally I'm for a more "hardcore" approach where you have to hold your fire till you ID your target, but I don't think that's practical for PS2...
Old 2012-07-11, 09:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Accuser View Post
More importantly, we'll have a lot more "transient" players in PS2 than we did in PS1. People will come try the free game and choose to continue or quit based on their first experience... We don't want that constant stream of new players Tking everything in sight, and we don't want new people to be turned off by constantly being TKed either.

Generally I'm for a more "hardcore" approach where you have to hold your fire till you ID your target, but I don't think that's practical for PS2...
Another good point. It's those first few hours where PS2 will either win or lose potential players.
Old 2012-07-11, 10:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Posting in support of green names for friendlies. Green is good, red is bad, we're trained on this as little children and we've been tempered by traffic signals, television, and other video games.

Plus, having white names as "good" is possibly subconsciously racist.

(You see, now that I've made it a race argument, we'll win for sure).
Old 2012-07-11, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
Espion
Staff Sergeant

I agree and think that player identifiability in general is lacking atm.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
redback911
Private

How about making a cert or a module (especially if gun customization is big feature of PS2) that provides FoF (Friend of Foe) functionality for infantry and vehicles? You could also have an EMP-type AoE grenade that blocks the FoF for defined period of time.
Old 2012-07-11, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

No iff tags, adds to immersive realism.
Old 2012-07-11, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
No iff tags, adds to immersive realism.
And people being TKed and rage quitting within a few minutes of playing adds to quitting.
Old 2012-07-11, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Papscal
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Dart View Post
After watching the stream last night I think the reason we've seen so much TKing so far is because of the inaccurate IFF interface (Identify Friend or Foe). I was struggling to tell which Empire people were, at a glance, and judging by the amount of TKing we've seen at E3 and again last night I don't think I'm the only one. Part of this, I believe, is because friendlies currently show up in WHITE. That's the same colour that you get for lots of other things in game.

Now I understand that the devs wanted to keep GREEN for squadmates but right now I just don't think it's worth the trade-off. I'd far rather see all the guys on MY Empire highlighted green and hopefully not get TK'd by every 'friendly' who happens to see me and can't figure out which Empire I belong to. Any thoughts?

Oh for fuck sakes just get rid of enemy names being red or visible in any way man. Fucking think about it. Its a major advantage to be able to see your own sides names from so damn far away. Now you need training wheels to spot the enemy????????? Being able to see enemy's with glowing fucking names above their heads, no matter what the damn color removes tactics and skill away from all sides. Please get a clue developers and players alike.

Last edited by Papscal; 2012-07-11 at 07:47 PM.
Old 2012-07-11, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Aerothorn
Private

Originally Posted by robocpf1 View Post
Posting in support of green names for friendlies. Green is good, red is bad, we're trained on this as little children and we've been tempered by traffic signals, television, and other video games.
Except that the 8% of males with red-green colorblindness will be TKing like crazy. Bad plan.
Old 2012-07-11, 08:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
robocpf1
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Aerothorn View Post
Except that the 8% of males with red-green colorblindness will be TKing like crazy. Bad plan.
With support for those that are color-blind. League of Legends implemented that a few months back, I would hope that the PS2 devs have considered it.
Old 2012-07-11, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Papscal View Post
Oh for fuck sakes just get rid of enemy names being red or visible in any way man. Fucking think about it. Its a major advantage to be able to see your own sides names from so damn far away. Now you need training wheels to spot the enemy????????? Being able to see enemy's with glowing fucking names above their heads, no matter what the damn color removes tactics and skill away from all sides. Please get a clue developers and players alike.
Erm, might wanna read the thread before shooting your mouth off there ace...

We're talking about FRIENDLIES! Methods for identify your fellow soliders (and for them identifying you) so you'd don't get shot in the back. Please cert reading comprehension.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion