News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 61 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: FAQ doesn't stand for Frequently Ask Questions
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-10, 03:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #901
eebster
Private

Re: PlanetSide 2 Will Be Region Locked (WTF Sony)

it's funny when I know that the PS2 team are LoL fans.
They can learn something from LoL, and that's when LoL relied on GOA to deal with the European customers it was a DISASTER! and one of the main reasons why Europe had a far smaller player base then the American (Riot) run game, after more then a year of customers quitting and the remaining ones crying (real tears) Riot took our advice, fired GOA, set up server in Europe (they and we struggled for months at first) but things have fixed up, and a HUGE mistake was corrected, but only after suffering and losing people.

SOE, why risk this with PS2? I honestly don't get it, and I honestly would love if some sort of Arab spring can happen in big corporations like SOE chanting and remove those dictators!!!!!!

I don't like the idea, and something give me a feeling if I wanted to play on both servers I would need 2 games..yay
Old 2012-03-10, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #902
DayOne
Captain

two reasons to post:

1) still haven't heard back on the reworked deal

2) trying to get this topic to on THOUSAND responses!
Old 2012-03-10, 05:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #903
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

I would think at this point they are trying to figure a way out of a technical netcode nightmare. It is highly possible the netcode was designed with the assumption that ping would be controlled by a region lock, and it probably plays like poo if the ping gets too high. The general assumption here is that first person shooter games work much better with low ping. My personal belief is that the game would be more successful overall if they keep the region lock because it will play better for everyone.

I do however think there could be a compromise:
  1. Define a high ping limit for the servers. Limit number of players that cannot meet this requirement on a per server basis. Give priority to "in region" players in the server queues.
  2. Provide both region locked, and non-region locked servers. Let the players pick.
Many newcomers could be upset if they can't get on their region's servers because of non-region players. I do not know how they are breaking up the regions, but I am most certain the East coast U.S. servers are the ones that will have this issue. My initial feeling is that all the PS1 vets are going to try and ram into the same server so the problem might be containable.

I wonder what the general sentiment would be among the anti-region lock players if the game failed because the gameplay was crappy due to uncontrolled pings. Think about that for a while.

P.S. What do you forum goers think about this idea: Don't lock a toon to a specific server, let it log into any server you want, allowing the playerbase to move from server to server as they see fit.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-10 at 05:36 PM.
Old 2012-03-10, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #904
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
P.S. What do you forum goers think about this idea: Don't lock a toon to a specific server, let it log into any server you want, allowing the playerbase to move from server to server as they see fit.
It's not a bad idea from a game mechanics perspective, but it may be technically unrealistic.

I imagine that a robust system for keeping track of all those players would be like: Every server has a copy of every character file. Every 3 seconds, each server sends a signal to each other server, for each character that exists, saying if that character is logged in.

It could create tonnes of network overhead.
Old 2012-03-10, 05:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #905
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
It's not a bad idea from a game mechanics perspective, but it may be technically unrealistic.

I imagine that a robust system for keeping track of all those players would be like: Every server has a copy of every character file. Every 3 seconds, each server sends a signal to each other server, for each character that exists, saying if that character is logged in.

It could create tonnes of network overhead.
How about 1 database server has all the players, and the gameserver just requests your info as you log in.

BTW, cross-talking servers like you mentioned may prove to use massive amounts of bandwidth.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-10 at 05:52 PM.
Old 2012-03-10, 07:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #906
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
How about 1 database server has all the players, and the gameserver just requests your info as you log in.

BTW, cross-talking servers like you mentioned may prove to use massive amounts of bandwidth.
Yeah, using a lot of bandwidth was what I was saying.

A database server might work, but would it be robust and unproblematic? I'm not sure - the solution isn't immediately obvious to me but that does not mean there isn't one. Without the cross-talk, dropped packets during log out might prevent you from logging back in to any server.

I'm not a very experienced programmer though, so who knows. The code might be simple, and as someone who often works at night and sleeps during the day, I think it would be cool to be able to move your character to whichever server is in prime time for its time zone.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-03-10 at 07:18 PM.
Old 2012-03-10, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #907
Markn
Private

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
Yeah, using a lot of bandwidth was what I was saying.

A database server might work, but would it be robust and unproblematic? I'm not sure - the solution isn't immediately obvious to me but that does not mean there isn't one. Without the cross-talk, dropped packets during log out might prevent you from logging back in to any server.

I'm not a very experienced programmer though, so who knows. The code might be simple, and as someone who often works at night and sleeps during the day, I think it would be cool to be able to move your character to whichever server is in prime time for its time zone.
The code would be complex, but doable. Simple terms you log in to a server screen that shows all characters. You select your character then server and when you do that it tells the server to load your character file from a central character database.

Is it doable ? Sure. Is it realistic ? Nah.
Old 2012-03-10, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #908
Kran De Loy
Captain

Re: PlanetSide 2 Region Lock (SOE is working on Resolution)

Back to topic, what are the details on the revised PSS1 deal?

I for one will not let this rest. I've been going around telling a lot of friends and family about how awesome PS2 is and will be so far based on the awesome stuff that's already been revealed and how in touch the development team has been with the community. In the same breathe (when I can pull it off) I end up having to caution them about SOE or Sony Execs possibly ruining the game with arbitrary game breaking decisions and how there is STILL a major outstanding issue with their region locking that has barely even been touched on.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-10 at 09:04 PM.
Old 2012-03-11, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #909
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
Back to topic, what are the details on the revised PSS1 deal?
Still haven't gotten them.

I'd really appreciate a timeframe for when we can expect to find out said details. How long is this expected to take? 2 weeks? 2 months? More?
Old 2012-03-11, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #910
Mirror
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Still haven't gotten them.

I'd really appreciate a timeframe for when we can expect to find out said details. How long is this expected to take? 2 weeks? 2 months? More?
Yes an update would be cool as it all seems to have gone quiet.

http://www.deltatriad.com
Old 2012-03-11, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #911
megamold
Second Lieutenant

yes it would be nice, this decision concerns me
Old 2012-03-14, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #912
Sotonian
Corporal

Any update on this issue? this will make or break the game for at this point
Old 2012-03-14, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #913
Bags
Lieutenant General

I don't think it's going to make or break the game at all. It might make or break it for some individuals though.
Old 2012-03-14, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #914
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I don't think it's going to make or break the game at all. It might make or break it for some individuals though.
It wont make of break the game at all, however it will break the community into 2 pieces, the exact thing a game like this doesn't need. Its success will be down to the numbers of gamers who play and how well the community keeps it going. And the community is driven by the freedom of playing with any person you would like to from across the globe.
Old 2012-03-14, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #915
Fenrys
Major

Well???
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion