News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 64 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: how long does it take for these things to be approved?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-03-19, 07:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #946
Kran De Loy
Captain

Re: PlanetSide 2 Region Lock (SOE is working on Resolution)

Derp. Still no infos. 3 weeks to the hour in 5 more hours. (I know it's still stupidly early here.)

Looking more and more like Smed was getting leaned on to say anything to get us to shut up for GDC.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-19 at 07:27 AM.
Old 2012-03-19, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #947
Shogun
Contributor
General

i wanted to invest in my soe account with the 24 hours of double points, but i missed out on it because of this insecure situation.

you know, reversing payments with the bank is only possible for a certain time. and nothing indicates, that we would get a detailed answer on this topic during this timeframe.

and i am sure a lot of european players missed out on this opportunity for the same reason.

if our problem with the pro7 deal was anything near to solved, soe wouldn´t have let this money opportunity go away without a notice! so my guess is, they worked something out, that will freak out the fanbase even more, and they just don´t dare to tell us! they want us to be happily playing the beta and would not tell us anything before we are all addicted to planetside 2.

if this happens, i want a shooting range in ps, and the option to put on my own pictures on the targets... and i need a photo of the guy who was responsible for this mess, or i will just use smeds pic.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-03-19, 09:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #948
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
you know, reversing payments with the bank is only possible for a certain time. and nothing indicates, that we would get a detailed answer on this topic during this timeframe.
Yeah, mine says I gotta do it in less than 10 days.
Old 2012-03-19, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #949
Fenrys
Major

To the top!
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-03-19, 11:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #950
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Unfortunately folks there just isn't any more information that can be provided at this time. A statement was made regarding region locks and there is no indication that will change. There is plenty of time before launch to resolve these issues.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #951
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Unfortunately folks there just isn't any more information that can be provided at this time. A statement was made regarding region locks and there is no indication that will change. There is plenty of time before launch to resolve these issues.
Could you clarify which statement you are talking about, or provide a link to said statment?

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-19 at 01:25 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #952
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
Time to make new friends. Thanks RadarX for following up.
no no, you misunderstood him.

He was just pointing out that Smed has essentially said they've done away with the region lock and that since there is no new info at all then there is no reason to believe that Smed is lying or even just plain wrong.

I've been saying that since there is no new information there is no proof that, other then a certain level of integrity forced on people in positions of power like Smed's, there is no reason to believe that Smed is not lying.

So until someone can tell us what the revised partnership is (in regards to us) then Faith and only Faith in him is what is keeping Smed from having a 50/50 chance of being a douche or being Moses coming down off the mountain with the 10 commandments.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-19 at 01:26 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #953
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
no no, you misunderstood him.

He was just pointing out that Smed has essentially said they've done away with the region lock and that since there is no new info at all then there is no reason to believe that Smed is lying or even just plain wrong.
Crap, I was hoping to hear "High ping degraded gameplay too much for a AAA title and we have therefore reinstated the region lock" One can only pray John comes to his senses.
Old 2012-03-19, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #954
Kran De Loy
Captain

I really don't get what you mean with high ping.

I regularly play at work (graveyard shift so I'm not doing anything anyway) Tribes with my brother.

Stay with me here.

I play Tribes pretty regularly with my brother, now the reason I bring it up is because he has been stuck in Taiwan for the last year and even on US East servers his ping, from a tiny island off the coast of China was still under 200 in most cases. In the last few months we've noticed the lag makes things slightly more difficult for him, but really only about 0.1 to 0.2 seconds delay between when he fires a bullet and when that bullet leaves his weapon. That's all.

Not saying that PS2 will have the net code of Tribes, but I figure to us the users there'd not be much difference.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-03-19 at 01:55 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #955
Shanesan
Sergeant

From what I'm seeing in Radar's statement, to take it the way you're saying it is a huge stretch. Else there would be nothing to "fix" if the region locks were going to be taken off.

This is a really big deal and it needs to be dealt with. PR and the executives are playing footsie and the only people trying to give legit info are the Planetside team. Thanks RadarX!

As we've said before, Sony executives are notorious for ruining their own games. I don't see this coming out well.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #956
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
This is a really big deal and it needs to be dealt with. PR and the executives are playing footsie and the only people trying to give legit info are the Planetside team. Thanks RadarX!

As we've said before, Sony executives are notorious for ruining their own games. I don't see this coming out well.
Yes. Entirely.

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
From what I'm seeing in Radar's statement, to take it the way you're saying it is a huge stretch. Else there would be nothing to "fix" if the region locks were going to be taken off.
Huh? er.. I guess I must have missed something. I'll take your word for it seeing how much I agree with the rest of your post.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #957
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

I really don't get what you mean with high ping.
ASSUMING CSHD
Ping is the built in equivalent of an automatic "lag switch" for attacking players in motion vs defending stationary players. Let's examine this very common scenario:
  1. High ping player (HPP) comes around a corner face 2 face with a Low Ping Player (LPP)
  2. The HPP and LPP both start an evasive strafe on contact and open fire at the same time on "thier" screen.
Now, if both are of even skill, there will either be a draw, or the HPP will win (From my experience in PS1)

Why? Because the HPP gets to shoot at a stationary LPP for that extra 1. or .2 seconds that happens because of high ping and therefore misses less bullets. Hey, who wouldn't want a target that stands still for some amount of extra time?

PS1's high TTKs and having third person mitigated this issue somewhat, but HPP's were still noticeable in another way "dying around a corner". Many times my ping to the server was 40ms or lower and I died well away from the corner because of CN players.

Now if the devs shorten the TTK and remove third person this will compound the advantage aggressive HPP's have over defensive LPP's. The game also won't feel "crisp" when fighting HPP's in general and I would expect to see new players bitching about it if the HPP's make up a large % of the server.

The only way to guard against this is to never stop moving, ever.

Last edited by Eyeklops; 2012-03-19 at 02:42 PM.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #958
ThGlump
Captain

First thing they stated about PS2 was that there wont be CSHD. Calm down about high pings already.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #959
Duddy
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
ASSUMING CSHD
Now I understand why you've been so fanatical about the issue.

As stated, we've been told it won't be CSHD, couldn't tell you exactly where but I am certain of it.
Old 2012-03-19, 02:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #960
Eyeklops
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
First thing they stated about PS2 was that there wont be CSHD. Calm down about high pings already.
It will have to be some hybrid variation of CHSD or nobody with ping over 100ms will hit dick. I would love if PS2 used SSHD
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion