*** PlanetSide 2 Ultimate Beta FAQ *** - Page 66 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Hamma is watching...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-04, 07:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #976
Exodan
Corporal

Re: *** PlanetSide 2 Ultimate Beta FAQ ***

Originally Posted by Pillar of Armor View Post
Back on topic, looks like Beta invites will be happening this week... Hope I get to join the fun.
Really? Says who?
Old 2012-07-04, 07:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #977
Pillar of Armor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Exodan View Post
Really? Says who?
Says me being hopeful :P

And also, unless Smedley's "few days" ends up being a couple weeks, I would imagine that invites are going to start by this weekend, or at least early next week. Again, it's just me being hopeful. Most likely it won't be so soon, but there are some good indicators that it is possible.
Old 2012-07-04, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #978
Zalmoxis
Sergeant

Re: PS1 vets who played this weekend have a better chance of beta? I say yes.

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
You're obviously part of the 'system'.
Did I mention that my Duck Hunt was made in China? :P
Old 2012-07-04, 09:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #979
indirect
Staff Sergeant

Says me being hopeful :P

And also, unless Smedley's "few days" ends up being a couple weeks, I would imagine that invites are going to start by this weekend, or at least early next week. Again, it's just me being hopeful. Most likely it won't be so soon, but there are some good indicators that it is possible.
Well his "few weeks" ended up being a month...
Old 2012-07-04, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #980
Zalmoxis
Sergeant

Even though it's painfully hard to wait, this is for the best.

If they were to release a closed beta that causes a lot of problems for a lot of people, that would be too much of a negative publicity ( you can't deny the fact that the majority of people will pretty much ignore the words "closed" and "beta" here and assume it's an almost fully working product) . They play it safe because, well, they invested a lot of resources for it.

Plus I'd rather wait than get angry because of some bugs that could affect gameplay so much that I'd rather not play.
Old 2012-07-04, 09:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #981
indirect
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Zalmoxis View Post
Even though it's painfully hard to wait, this is for the best.

If they were to release a closed beta that causes a lot of problems for a lot of people, that would be too much of a negative publicity ( you can't deny the fact that the majority of people will pretty much ignore the words "closed" and "beta" here and assume it's an almost fully working product) . They play it safe because, well, they invested a lot of resources for it.

Plus I'd rather wait than get angry because of some bugs that could affect gameplay so much that I'd rather not play.
See it's thoughts like this that make my bind fucking boggle.
The POINT OF A CLOSED BETA IS TO TEST THE GAME. It is not to play, it's not to market a product. It's to TEST. There is a NDA in place for a reason, YOU CANNOT TALK ABOUT THE GAME, NOT EVEN MENTION THAT YOU'RE IN IT.

So why would a buggy closed beta have detrimental effects on the outcome? Unless you're there just to play it (you shouldn't be allowed in) or you're leaking information to the public (you should be sued and have your HWID and emails banned from SOE) there is no issue with a buggy CB.

I've had years and years in the QA field for the video game industry with several shipped AAA titles tested, you can trust me on this when I say a long but bug ridden closed beta is better than a short polished closed beta.
Old 2012-07-04, 09:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #982
bjorntju1
Captain

Originally Posted by indirect View Post
There is a NDA in place for a reason, YOU CANNOT TALK ABOUT THE GAME, NOT EVEN MENTION THAT YOU'RE IN IT.
Yeah sure, that doesn't stop people that are in the beta from talking about it. There are always people who dont give a fuck and just share their experiences. Now I am not like that and I keep my mounth shut if there is an NDA, but that doesn't mean everyone does it.
Old 2012-07-04, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #983
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

I've had years and years in the QA field for the video game industry with several shipped AAA titles tested, you can trust me on this when I say a long but bug ridden closed beta is better than a short polished closed beta.
I find it appalling that you say "you can trust me on this..." when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Mechwarrior Online did exactly what you said PS2 should do and now they have hundreds of loyal fans with fried computers.
Old 2012-07-04, 10:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #984
Pillar of Armor
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Otleaz View Post
I find it appalling that you say "you can trust me on this..." when you have no idea what you are talking about.

Mechwarrior Online did exactly what you said PS2 should do and now they have hundreds of loyal fans with fried computers.
Yeah, there are some surprising bad things that can happen during technical tests. I'm pretty sure they want to avoid pushing people into the closed beta and discovering that their build causes hardware damage and data loss on certain computer setups.
Old 2012-07-04, 10:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #985
indirect
Staff Sergeant

I have no idea what I'm talking about? You're an idiot if you really think that. MWO did not FRY people's computers. What were saying about having no idea what you're talking about?

Yeah, there are some surprising bad things that can happen during technical tests. I'm pretty sure they want to avoid pushing people into the closed beta and discovering that their build causes hardware damage and data loss on certain computer setups.
The same hardware damage can happen on a released title. Memory leaks can ruin RAM. Improper caching can overheat a GPU. Bad optimization can fry a CPU.

Beta is there for testing purposes (can't believe this actually has to be said, but it is 2012 after all) and things can happen - yes. Can you find out if they're going to happen without large scale testing? Nope. SOE doesn't have every set up sitting in their QA Department to test on. They have a small range of different setups to see how it runs. Half of the reason for a large scale OB is for stress testing, and the other is for hardware testing.

Last edited by indirect; 2012-07-04 at 10:39 AM.
Old 2012-07-04, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #986
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

I have no idea what I'm talking about? You're an idiot if you really think that. MWO did not FRY people's computers. What were saying about having no idea what you're talking about?

The same hardware damage can happen on a released title. Memory leaks can ruin RAM. Improper caching can overheat a GPU. Bad optimization can fry a CPU.

Beta is there for testing purposes (can't believe this actually has to be said, but it is 2012 after all) and things can happen - yes. Can you find out if they're going to happen without large scale testing? Nope. SOE doesn't have every set up sitting in their QA Department to test on. They have a small range of different setups to see how it runs. Half of the reason for a large scale OB is for stress testing, and the other is for hardware testing.
You are completely clueless. That is the entire point of the technical beta. They invite a small number of people with a wide variety of setups so they know that there are no problems that will damage a computer.
Old 2012-07-04, 10:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #987
Zalmoxis
Sergeant

See it's thoughts like this that make my bind fucking boggle.
The POINT OF A CLOSED BETA IS TO TEST THE GAME. It is not to play, it's not to market a product. It's to TEST. There is a NDA in place for a reason, YOU CANNOT TALK ABOUT THE GAME, NOT EVEN MENTION THAT YOU'RE IN IT.

So why would a buggy closed beta have detrimental effects on the outcome? Unless you're there just to play it (you shouldn't be allowed in) or you're leaking information to the public (you should be sued and have your HWID and emails banned from SOE) there is no issue with a buggy CB.

I've been in CBTs, Open Betas and even Alphas for all sorts of games for around 7 years. I know my shit too.

And the power of word is enough to spread out things like these. They can't stop every youtube video posted, every post on a random forum ( maybe even a country specific forum) that shares an opinion regarding the beta. It will happen and best you can do is make them show only positive stuff.

And a bug ridden closed beta sucks, no matter how you look at it. I've been there, done that, and frankly I ended up waiting until they fixed some major issues before I got back in.

Also, as with everything in life, first impression is what counts the most. Even in an early production stage, you'll still get a good or bad first impression on a game depending on how buggy it is.
Old 2012-07-04, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #988
indirect
Staff Sergeant

You are completely clueless. That is the entire point of the technical beta. They invite a small number of people with a wide variety of setups so they know that there are no problems that will damage a computer.
Ok guy, please go back to your Mother's basement. Companies haven't held tech betas since 2000. Congratulations on thinking you know what you're talking about, but ending up looking like a World of Warcraft generation gamer.
Internal Alpha is the closest thing you'll get to a technical beta any time in recent history.

Originally Posted by Zalmoxis View Post
I've been in CBTs, Open Betas and even Alphas for all sorts of games for around 7 years. I know my shit too.

And the power of word is enough to spread out things like these. They can't stop every youtube video posted, every post on a random forum ( maybe even a country specific forum) that shares an opinion regarding the beta. It will happen and best you can do is make them show only positive stuff.

And a bug ridden closed beta sucks, no matter how you look at it. I've been there, done that, and frankly I ended up waiting until they fixed some major issues before I got back in.

Also, as with everything in life, first impression is what counts the most. Even in an early production stage, you'll still get a good or bad first impression on a game depending on how buggy it is.
Everything you just said is "don't let me into betas, I leak information, I won't submit bug reports, and I'll make press comments on your game based on it's non release candidate."
Old 2012-07-04, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #989
Zalmoxis
Sergeant

Everything you just said is "don't let me into betas, I leak information, I won't submit bug reports, and I'll make press comments on your game based on it's non release candidate."
Are you purposely trying to look dumb, or does it just come natural to you?
Old 2012-07-04, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #990
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Ok guy, please go back to your Mother's basement. Companies haven't held tech betas since 2000. Congratulations on thinking you know what you're talking about, but ending up looking like a World of Warcraft generation gamer.
Internal Alpha is the closest thing you'll get to a technical beta any time in recent history
I wrote out a lengthy response, but you and I both know you will just pull more things out of your ass to try and defend your stupidity with.

Next time, I suggest you don't respond when someone calls you out.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion