What are your thoughts on PlanetSide 2 now that you have played? - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pretty soon they'll tell us that 2+2=4.....oh wait..
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-08-31, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Missundaztood
Corporal

Re: What are your thoughts on PlanetSide 2 now that you have played?

I've played PS2 with 'serious performance issues' since beta came out which has made it difficult to really experience the game as it stands in the correct manner.

But...

From what I've seen, if SOE can nail the FPS issues and optimize the game (it got lots better this evening for example), and also make it somehow a destination for lower end machine users they will be onto something very special!
Old 2012-08-31, 09:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
HungrySpirit
Private

the main issue I have is the lag in the game. the only force I can play is TR when I play NC or VS I get heavy lag.
Old 2012-09-01, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #93
cryosin
Master Sergeant

I love it. It has its issues but overall the game does what's advertised: 2k players all out warfare.

Flying in this game is like nothing that's ever been done before. You really feel like you are a pilot in an expansive world. Best way to describe it is like playing a flight sim, except all that crap below you is real people duking it out.

So ya, there are some issues and numerous bugs, but with the fine tuning and polishing up before open beta this game is going to rock.

Pros:
Graphics are gorgeous(I saw Ultra settings during tech test, it really looks amazing. Its disabled right now though).
Massive world
Massive battles
Teamwork emphasized
Great personal progression

Cons
Really buggy
Lack of "empire" progression
Sometimes laggy w/ people popping in and out(although others don't experience this as much as me, dunno why).
Things die a bit too fast
A few gimmicky abilities like lock-ons and C4, but none of it is far off from PS1 outside of the faster TTK.

This is basically the game I always wanted except tweaked to appeal to a wider audience. I can't complain too much, its still damn great fun to play. I would've obviously made a much different MMOFPS for myself, but SOE actually wants to make money so this is a much better idea, and we all want the game to succeed so we can enjoy it.

I really want this game to break through the mold and start a revolution. No game gets me as excited as PS2 and even with its flaws its still epic and amazing. I hope other people really give it a good run and learn the game before they drop it. It's got a surprisingly high learning curve, but is very rewarding afterwards.
Old 2012-09-01, 02:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
kamikazimunkey
Private

Misc Info

All these comments are really gearing me up to get into BETA and try it out for myself. I played PS1 for about a year and a half before hanging up the guns. BTW, I see more than a few people saying they aren't even logging in to the game anymore. If there is a way to donate your key to someone who would be interested in playing, don't hesitate to PM me!
Old 2012-09-01, 06:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
It's pretty bad at the moment (yes I know it's beta) IMO.

Base fights are a random scramble, keeping a small squad of 5 people together is a hard task sometime because we keep getting different spawn points (and yes I have a squad beacon certed and use it).

Indoor combat is dominated by maxes because they have no timer and no cost and everyone has access to them.

Outdoor vehicle combat is pretty bad because all of the tanks are paper thin and shredded by any sort of air.

Galaxies are too weak unless you have like 6 engineers repairing it, then it becomes invulnerable. Galaxies are also still too rare to be an AMS filler.

Performance is still pretty bad, getting ~40 fps in no fight with my specs.

I hate indoor fighting at night because the indoors of facilities are pitch black despite having lights EVERYWHERE. Instead of illuminating anything, base lights just serve to blind you when contrasted with the dark of night. The novelty of night fighting wore off fast. They need to make light sources actually illuminate the indoors of buildings and the outside near the building.

Hate the class system. FOr something that is supposed to promote teamwork, I find it constantly limiting my ability to teamwork as heavy assault. I see an almost dead max my first instinct is to pull out my bank and rep him... nope. I see a dead teammate, my first instinct is to revive him... nope. I am not feeling the teamwork increase with this class system at all. Random people rarely drop ammo when asked, and rarely heal when asked. I do get revived a lot, I guess. All it does is force someone on my team of 6 friends to always be medic and engineer.

It's very beta, lol. I kinda lost interest in testing since GW2 came out because as of now PS2 is a larger, worse BF3.
Pretty much this^
Old 2012-09-01, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
Grimster
First Lieutenant

I think the game has super potential. Of course it is a beta and this is quite noticable. But most of the times it is great fun. I am lacking the proper methods to organise yourself without having to be in a outfit.

But all in all I think it will be super fun once it is finished and released.
NEED UPDATES!
Old 2012-09-01, 07:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
zzzornbringer
Private

hey, i'm new here. i havn't played yet actually but i'm really looking forward to planetside 2.

so, if someone got a spare key left, i would really appreciate getting it.

also, i'm currently in the firefall closed beta. the devs over there are also very communicative and actually change the game based on user feedback.

however, the pvp in firefall lacks quite a bit. i think it's more focused around cooperative open world stuff.
Old 2012-09-01, 11:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
stordito
Staff Sergeant

the game has SO MUCH POTENTIAL...
the core gameplay is there, the feeling is there...
peoples are discussing over capture mechanics, cert balancement, performance...hundreds of threads have been written about every aspect of the game,not because we have nothing better to do but because we really care to fulfill all that potential.

Those things are slowly improving each and every day thanks to the devs skills and their commitment to the community.

After 9 years of PS1 and no other rightfull contender in the MMOFPS market, Planetside 2 is not only the one and only MMOFPS to deliver the right formula again (at least it's almost there), but also a game that does push AGAIN the boundaries of what we knew was possible.
PS2 is not only probably the best looking-epic scale PC game this year, but also is able (NOW, just log on!) to mix AAA FPS gameplay with hundreds of players and no latency or weird "roll the dice" mechanics at all.

i'f i had to pick 3 thing i want to see in PS2 it's:
-the hacker coming back big time (certs are already planned, but locked).
-the capture mechanics and balancement to be fixed to increase the size of battles and life expectancy
-even more focus on logistics and support roles.
Old 2012-09-01, 11:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #99
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by HungrySpirit View Post
the main issue I have is the lag in the game. the only force I can play is TR when I play NC or VS I get heavy lag.
You've got lag? I live in Sweden but play on US West and I have no lag whatsoever, the problem I have is the low Framerate- maybe that's what you meant?
Old 2012-09-01, 06:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Blitzkri
Private

Give us everything from planetside 1, except sexy graphics. Then give us new weapons and variations
I would definately love to see how a cloaked AMS bubble will look, or a Cerb turret will work, perhaps mannable. (Mannable... that really a word? i dont think so.)
Everything that was Planetside 1 was working until BFR's and caves. I read once that you guys actually regretted the caves and cried after the BFR's.

I would enjoy seeing PS1 equipment, roles and cert trees in Planetside 2. This whole BF and COD garbage is garbage.

meh w/e... Im just dreaming i think. Im keeping my head up and hoping that you devs pull something out of a magic hat.
Old 2012-09-01, 06:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Tell the world this. I think were doing something pretty unprescedented (and frankly a little of scary to a lot of people) with how open we've been and how closely we've worked with and integrated our community into this games development. Tell everyone it's what you want out of developers in the future and we (all of us gamers) may get it.
I've met a lot of people in the beta so far that seem worried that PS2 is going to launch in a couple weeks, pretty-much as-is.

I've explained to every one I can that this is NOT a marketing beta... this is a beta where we play, voice our opinions, and the developers respond. Those of us who have been in since the Tech Test have already seen you guys act on our concerns, so we just need to make sure the newcomers are aware, for sure.

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-09-02, 05:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #102
Rogin
Private

Smile Re: What are your thoughts on PlanetSide 2 now that you have played?

Many people here have the same issues with the game as me. These include forgettable base capture mechanics, short-lived battles, and no real incentive to form massive attack groups.

However, I also think that not enough people are pointing out what is right with the game right now. Note, that I am no PS1 vet, so if you are one, it may be different.

The gun-play is, in my opinion, solid. Aside from necessary tweaks to the Time to Kill stats, the guns feel strong, and confronting an enemy is a fast paced and intense affair. With the inclusion of some more types of guns and attachments, there will indeed be a great deal of customization to be had.

When a group DOES get together and pile-drive objectives, it is a very rewarding experience. Galaxy drops always give a rush of excitement, especially when you have a full load dropping into heavily defended territory. There are much needed changes to be made to territory capture, in terms of capture mechanics and where you can capture, etc. But we have a great foundation, and the devs have already made some changes for the better in this regard.

To the devs, my best advice is this. Planetside 2 is ALL about scale. It is all about massive battles that last for hours. In many ways, it's a number game.

You MUST give more incentives for coordination. It is imperative to the game's success. Small specs ops initiatives are okay to a point. But big armies and big battles MUST, MUST, MUST be the key fixture.

Lastly, my computer runs the game fine, and my rig isn't the beefiest out there. (good, but not crazy). And the game isn't even fully optimized. So if you're worried about being able to play, don't. It'll get ironed out.
Old 2012-09-02, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
HenchAnt
Corporal

Summary:
PS2 looks good, feels good and is fun to play. Main issue is that it is very teamplay focused, but does not enough to help players find together.

Visuals:
As has been stated quite often, the world looks and feels great. There really is a sense of scale there, and the visuals are gorgeous. I also really like the faction design.

Performance:
By now, the game plays smooth on my computer most of the time (40+ frames, no lag) . I'm really surprised about that, given the number of players, the crispness and action of the gameplay and the great visuals. You did a great job there, really.

Infantry combat:
Infantry fighting is good. TTK is about right, gun handling feels nice. Being able to surprise people up close and taking them out quickly is fine. Gun accuracy on medium-long distance is more of an issue (but could be an NC thing) - currently its rather hard to take out infantry running in the open or using cover at 100+ meters. So it's comparably easy to get into close fire fights where death is then more sudden. This is something that could use a bit more tweaking.
Also, it's really nice that infantry combat is neither dominated by grenade spam nor snipers, but fought by grunts with assault rifles. I really like that a lot.

Vehicles:
I'm not driving vehicles that much. Survivability feels good, but then I tend to drive as engineer with other engineers. Personally, the tanks feel a bit ... light on the physics side, and I'm no fan of large bullet drop on modern tank main guns. But when I drive them, they are fun enough.

Classes:
I really like the infantry classes. They feel well defined, and all have their spot on the battlefield. Some feel more needed than others (medics and engineers feel more "must have" than infiltrators or light assault), but all are fun to play and valid choices.
Even if it's just starting out: So far, I like the class customization options and I'm really looking forward to more of them. I think the classes-with-customisation-slots system is quite superior to a mere inventory system. Both in keeping things balanced and in keeping them recognizable on the battlefield. It's now a lot easier to find a medic or engineer to help you out than it was in PS1. And thats a good thing.

Teamplay
What really astounds me is that playing as random and in outfit squads feels totally different. As random player, there appears always to be some class missing (no medic, no ammo, no AT, no AA), it's hard to go for objectives (even if they really need taking, soloing them often is not feasable, and getten 4-6 people to do that is a chore) and there's often the feeling to be stuck on the wrong side of the map. As a semi-organized squad (matching class selection, voice chat, sticking together), gameplay changes drastically. Not only is it a lot easier to stay in the fight (medics and squad beacons go a long way), but one also has quite some inpact on the evolution of the strategic situation. Taking hexes around contested bases, opening bridgeheads or just holding a heavily contested capture point - 6 guys in a team already do wonders.
What really could be easier is getting from "random player" to "teamplayer". Ok, a lot of that is players fault (like not using voice chat), but other things could be easier. Like for example being shown the squad of friends (for easier joining), seeing friends on the map and perhaps having a "instant action to friend" button. The social community aspect could be really improved on.

Capture mechanic and strategic gameplay:
I really like the capture mechanic, with Auraxium bases mattering most and surrouding hexes really having an impact on the fighting. (Nice example is Hvar, which is more often than not decided by who is holding Sandstone Gulch.) There is still some balancing needed (ghost hacking: annoying vs. backyard invasions: big fun), but things seem to be on a good way. Personally, I would like things to be more ... interconnected. Currently, there appears to be only "main bases" and "other hexes". So while you capture some hexes to get to the main bases, there's not really that much reason behind what you hexes capture or what main bases you go for. Usually it's simply the closest main base with most people from your faction. It would be cool if bases (and "other hexes") would have strategic benefits other than resource generation. Something like the tech plant advantages or cave modules of PS1.

The Grind:
Ok, the grind has only just started. And while I'm fine with levelling/paying to get some stuff, it really bugs me if it feels like one has to get something to properly play the game. I don't care all that much about the vehicle add-ons that are available, and not about most of the vehicle or infantry gun options. The basic stuff is good. It could be more tailored to your playstyle, and there's stuff I want to have, but I don't really feel preassured to do so. EXCEPT for Anti-Air. I think it's a really bad idea to "force" players to grind stuff to be able to fight a certain common vehicle type. Currently AA is a 12500 Auraxium feature for mechs, infantry, tanks and planes. People not having access to AA from the start just feels wrong.
On a side note: I really like concept of implants. Also, fashion items and XP/resource boosts feel like a good/fair/honest way to earn this F2P money to keep the game going.

Last edited by HenchAnt; 2012-09-02 at 08:24 AM.
Old 2012-09-02, 10:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #104
Shogun
Contributor
General

after playing some more, i still think the main problem of the game is the overall awareness and overview.

i don´t know where i am going, what i am doing and what my squad is up to or what the empire needs or where we are being ghosthacked.

this aspect needs a lot of love! why can´t we move while the map is open? was no problem in ps1 and helped a lot with navigating long distances!

the waypoints are not visible enough, i have to spin several times bwfore i notice my personal waypoint. also it needs to be visible at infinite range.

we need more information about what´s going on, to feel the scale. right now it feels more like any pointless arena shooter just with more players and a giant map.
the metagame needs to be more visible.

and it is very hard to identify friend or foe, or even notice soldiers that are standing in front of a wall or terminal. yesterday i stepped into a room filled with enemies of both factions, and they didn´t seem to notice that there were several enemies in this room.
and camos are not even in the game yet. with camos i wouldn´t see most enemies even when they are in stabbing range.

the other main flaw in the actual build are the support classes. this was always my main playstyle and i feel like i have nothing left to do. i cannot place automated defences, and the mana turret can only be used by me and not by other allies, which renders it useless.
ams is out, which was another pet of mine, and i can´t fly until the joystick support works. you get it. it´s all shooting in the face now, no real dedicated supporter roles are in the game except for reviver and max-repairer/ammo dispenser. that´s very sad.

i loved to carefully setup an undetected ams and deploy CE all around it, then sneak in as a cloaked hacker and plant viruses all over their equipment and hack their vehicles. all of this is impossible right now. hope a lot of this will make a return because planetside was not only about the shooting. approx.70% of my ps1 chars battlerank 38 xp came from support xp! and you know the support xp system was a late addon.

so planetside 2 has a long way to go, but the current build shows, that a proper ps2 is possible! the gunplay works, the scale works, just visibility and metagame have to improve a lot.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-09-02, 01:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Metalmoura
Private

I personally don't care for the single maned tanks, really enjoyed the dedicated driver and main gunner system. allowed for fast pace on the move tank battles. Cant wait for more infantry weapon unlocks and i really hope hacking comes back and becomes a bigger and more useful part of the game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion