Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2 - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: To activate the cheat mode, press alt-F4
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want boarding/exit animations?
Yes, I would like to see them kept. 351 80.14%
No, I think they should go. 18 4.11%
Don't care either way. 69 15.75%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-18, 10:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
opticalshadow
First Sergeant

Re: Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2

Originally Posted by IceyCold View Post
Seriously, thank you for pointing this out.

Although there probably aren't 100 animations (more likely 25-35) this is still a LOT of work for a team of animators. And that is not even getting into having modelers rig the hatches to animate as well as creating internal sections for the vehicles.

That is a lot of time and money for the feature. Although I would love to see it return, I know that it is no small feat to add said feature in.
i said compare it to the scope of makign an entire game from scratch, its not a big deal, not at all compared to everything else they have had to do.

its a big deal to retro fit them in after the game is made, but we are in the "not set in stone" part, where these types of things should be made, because their exscuse for time or money doesnt fit in when they have no time limit and the work required to do them isnt going to dent soe's budget. ESPECIALLY because the previous game had them, its clear they can do them.
Old 2011-07-18, 10:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Bing
Private

I think it's quite amazing how united we are on this issue (at least according to the poll.) I really hope that our opinions are going to be acknowledged, regardless of what the actually do.
Old 2011-07-19, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #93
Hamma
PSU Admin

It does seem people are pretty united on this, a first I think..

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-19, 08:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
Volw
First Sergeant

... with a pool question worded in a 'would you like to earn more money? yes/no' way ...

All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-19, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
It does seem people are pretty united on this, a first I think..
This.

I'm tired of SOE saying "We're trying to save money" and than saying "We want the game to be perfect."

I would assume "perfect" includes things that 87% of the customers want, no? Basically your openly admitting your leaving out things that would add to this perfection.

These animations are a small example, but an example none the less.
Old 2011-07-19, 09:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Bing View Post
I think it's quite amazing how united we are on this issue (at least according to the poll.) I really hope that our opinions are going to be acknowledged, regardless of what they actually do.
Exactly. If 90% of the community is so enthusiastic about carrying over one of the coolest features from PlanetSide, it would be great to get some sort of response from the devs along the lines of "we'll consider the community's opinion" or even "NO MEANS NO," haha.

I know most people are going to be pretty impatient for a huge release like this, but I've played plenty of games that could have been great with few more months of work, yet were released prematurely to mediocre scores and subsequently faded into obscurity. I would love to see them push back the planned release for another 6-12 months and end up with an absolutely perfect game. It would be well worth the wait, both for long-time fans and for SOE's pocketbook/reputation.

-HC13
Old 2011-07-19, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
headcrab13
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Logit View Post
I'm tired of SOE saying "We're trying to save money" and than saying "We want the game to be perfect."
The dev team's numerous comments about cutting features due to financial constraints points to SOE's lack of faith in PS2. I for one think it has the potential to be a genre-reviving, groundbreaking masterpiece that eventually overtakes Call of Duty and Battlefield. I wish SOE would front a little extra money to make this game everything it could be. What they may pay out in the short term would be multiplied many times over with a massive fan base that stays active and even grows for years to come.

-HC13
Old 2011-07-19, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
Volw
First Sergeant

I would assume "perfect" includes things that 87% of the customers want, no? Basically your openly admitting your leaving out things that would add to this perfection.
99.9% people want to earn more money. If that's what people want they should be paid more!

It's been raining here for a few days, I'm sure the majority of people want it to stop. Why does God (whichever floats your boat) not care about his customers!!!
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-19, 10:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #99
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by headcrab13 View Post
The dev team's numerous comments about cutting features due to financial constraints points to SOE's lack of faith in PS2. I for one think it has the potential to be a genre-reviving, groundbreaking masterpiece that eventually overtakes Call of Duty and Battlefield. I wish SOE would front a little extra money to make this game everything it could be. What they may pay out in the short term would be multiplied many times over with a massive fan base that stays active and even grows for years to come.

-HC13
Lack of faith?

They need PS2, they need it badly. The entire hack assault put alot of financial stress onto them, they put out the 45 free days to ease off current and past subscribers. but to have the majority of players regain their faith into SOE, they need to launch another good game. Planetside 2 is that game, heck they killed the Agency and let 205 guys go to focus on EQ Next and Planetside 2. If planetside 2 fails, EQ Next could be at risk, and if they have to call that off, they are seriously seriously screwed.

They need PS2 to be successful, while keeping former planetside players happy. They are pretty much trying to create hybrid of what we loved about Planetside and what all those other FPS games would like to have, in order to get a massive playerbase, and lots of cash.

If we dont get those animations with release, im fine with it. But i want them to be ingame asap after release. And im pretty sure higby and the crew heard us. Maybe we get a reply about that entire topic at some point in the future. After all, its just one week since we got the first infos.
Old 2011-07-19, 10:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #100
Desoxy
Corporal

The problem is that we do not represent the whole community. Currently PSU has 11770 accounts, let's say they are all active. In game that aims to attract millions it is still only ~1%. The poll itself was conducted among 134 people which is less than 1% of the 1% of the supposed player base (see where I am going with this?). This is a negligible, heavily biased sample size.

While I personally would like to see a return of such animations myself, I acknowledge that SOE has limited resources and as such has a hell of prioritizing job to do (which is not as easy as one might think from the outside). Boarding animations are far less important than highly optimized netcode for instance, yet most of the time people get worked up only about thinks they see (graphics, animations) and less about the backend to support it all.

Just relax and see how it works out before accusing the dev team of anything..
Old 2011-07-19, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
Hamma
PSU Admin

I'm confused I don't remember them saying no player animations due to money where did i miss that?

Old 2011-07-19, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Desoxy
Corporal

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
I'm confused I don't remember them saying no player animations due to money where did i miss that?
They just said no player animations. The rest is pure speculation.. if you don't have enough facts, make them up!

They must have a reason for not including them, though; maybe the game is much more fast-paced than we expect..
Old 2011-07-19, 07:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Hamma
PSU Admin

I guess making things up is the way to roll Personally I'd assume it is a time constraint rather than a money issue.

Old 2011-07-19, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Desoxy
Corporal

Maybe we should simply ask him..
Old 2011-07-19, 09:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Hamma
PSU Admin

haha some new posts eh