Virtual Reality Training [Try before you buy] - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I give up.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-08, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Knightwyvern
First Sergeant

Re: Try before you buy

Well I'd imagine there will be some kind of VR training area as in PS1, though whether there will be a try before buy option remains to be seen, along with most other marketplace info.
Old 2012-06-08, 10:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Xyntech
Brigadier General

We haven't heard word about it either way yet.

Since we have footholds on each continent now, and no sanctuary, I'd like to see something like the VR room just be a training mode that you access from the main menu. they could make it like an instance if possible, where you could invite friends and outfit mates into the same training area.

I definitely would like to be able to try all of the unlockables in the VR room. They may not want to allow you to access them all to try right away. I'm not sure. I would at least like to be able to test anything that is at a tier that you can unlock next. Like if you have to unlock A before you can unlock B, then you can test out A in the VR room, but if you've already unlocked A, then you can test B in the VR room, but not C.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-08 at 10:11 PM.
Old 2012-06-08, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Mackenz
Private

The VR room would be great.

Also, given the way item purchase could work, rather than the straight buy-out, I would like a 1/3/7-day tryout scheme (maybe with it contributing the cost to the full buy) of items.

I like Blacklight: Retribution in this manner - you can try a different gun/scope/etc without committing full price.

I think this is really important in F2P.
Old 2012-06-08, 10:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
NEWSKIS
Corporal

I loved the VR Training room in PS1 for fiddling with setups and just shooting bots when I was bored. It would be great if they could add something similar in PS2.
Old 2012-06-08, 10:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by NEWSKIS View Post
I loved the VR Training room in PS1 for fiddling with setups and just shooting bots when I was bored. It would be great if they could add something similar in PS2.
I agree, I would love to see it make a return in some fashion. It was definitely a great way to play around with all the toys you didn't have.

Old 2012-06-08, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #96
Electrofreak
Contributor
Major General

The VR was the first place I brought a new recruit to explain all of the weapons and vehicles. Trying something out in combat works after a fashion, but in the excitement of combat sometimes you don't grasp certain mechanics like you do when you have time to try them out in a virtual environment.

It really sucked when you got in a Gal loading up at the Sanc and piled in with a bunch of other people, and then it took off like a wounded turkey and you suddenly realized it was probably the pilot's first time flying one.

That generally meant a short trip to the respawn tube!

Support the use of a dynamic XP system in PlanetSide 2!

Last edited by Electrofreak; 2012-06-08 at 10:34 PM.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #97
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I just hope if they do add a VR training area, that it isn't shitty like in the first game, and that we can drive, fly, and shoot guns all in the same area.
Old 2012-06-08, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #98
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

As I recall they've nixed the VR training room.
Old 2012-06-09, 12:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #99
Virulence
Sergeant

I'd very much rather see comprehensive weapon information like http://symthic.com/charts.php than vague stat bars on stuff in the store.
While the union makes us strong.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #100
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Virulence View Post
I'd very much rather see comprehensive weapon information like http://symthic.com/charts.php than vague stat bars on stuff in the store.
I'd much rather try the weapon out myself on some kind of range, I really don't care for an excel spreadsheet that tells me that this gun has a 2.7% higher PEWPEW-coefficient than the other.
I wanna know if I like the feel, the sound, that kinda thing.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #101
The Kush
Captain

As far as I have heard..

No.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #102
Pella
Captain

They should perhaps mimic League of legends style. With a weekly free rotation of selected weapons/skins.

This gives players a chance to try a new weapon/skin, And they buy it the week later if they like it. But you have the trouble then of everyone running around with the same guns, which isn't so bad.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
GuyFawkes
First Sergeant

While i understand the logic behind having this , I dont think they will.

1)Unlocking stuff for x days to try y out just gives me the jeebies about people hacking. Make a new toon , *** in there, get x,y,z unlocked and off we go .Oops, been caught >rinse and repeat.

2)The mission system sort new players out from the get-go and lets them get into action with some direction. And any virtual thing is never going to prepare anyone much for facing real player opponents. Not forgetting, just like sanctuaries, its a timesink drawing people away from the main battle. Refer back to point 1

3)Things that affect in-game items like weapons /upgrades/sidegrades can only be bought for in-game resources . If you have x number of people working their asses off to unlock a new carbine and earn resources and Billy Bob gets his 'on loan' to try out for a while it kinda stinks, and refer back to point 1 above.

4) anything that may be bought for station cash theres a nice screen showing all the cosmetic alterations you can have before you put it on .
Old 2012-06-09, 02:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #104
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Seeing as this is purely micro-transaction driven, having the VR would probably lower sales on the market... if you can try everything, you can easily root out the crap you dont want to use. However, I don't believe SOE are greedy like that... like some other companies that will remain nameless (*COUGHEACOUGH*)... well, if you even can call SOE greedy for that. The game is effing free... them wanting sales through the online marketplace is understadable to say the least. And I know I'll be buying stuff from there just to support them.
Yay or nay on the VR? meh... Yay I suppose. I would totaly understand if they don't have it, but I would use it if they do.

Last edited by Sabot; 2012-06-09 at 02:56 AM.
Old 2012-06-09, 02:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #105
Virulence
Sergeant

From what we've been shown of the store, weapons are the LoL-Champion equivalent of PS2; unlock with resources or cash. At most, they may rotate through a set of them every week as "free" weapons you can play with for that week without needing to unlock them.

As for the shooting range, yeah, it could work - if they implemented it as, say, a lobby-esque thing where you could go play with weapons/vehicles if you wanted - or if you were waiting on a cont pop-lock queue and didn't want to stare at a log-in screen for however long.
While the union makes us strong.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion