Friendly Fire? - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The Earth Is Full - Go Home
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should there be Friendly Fire?
Yes to FF 124 91.85%
No to FF 6 4.44%
Undecided for now. 5 3.70%
Voters: 135. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-15, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Traak
Colonel

Re: Friendly Fire?

Easiest implementation of Friendly Fire:

Each point is a second you spend unable to pull the trigger.

To be more specific, it INSTANTLY gives you trigger lock. And lasts as long as how many points are still ticking down from FF damage you are credited with.

Last edited by Traak; 2011-09-16 at 10:52 AM.
Old 2011-09-15, 06:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by outsider View Post
A good time to bring in Friendly Fire would be when the player is at the point that they are starting to experiment with weapon modifications. So while you can mod to a better weapon that suits your playstyle with it comes further dimension of gameplay.
If your friends have managed to get themselves grief locked without learning how to tell the bright red people from the bright yellow people from the bright purple people, then giving them free license to shoot whoever they want until they hit a certain XP level is unlikely to make them less confused.
Old 2011-09-16, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
Scow2
Private

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
Easiest implementation of Friendly Fire:

Each point is a second you spend unable to pull the trigger.

To be more specific, it INSTANTLY gives you trigger lock. And lasts as long as how many points are still ticking down from FF damage you are credited with.
I disagree with this. In hectic firefights, there will be inevitably be Friendly Fire due to the confusion. I liked the scaling system from the first Planetside: It was okay if you got an occasional grief point for W/E reason (Guys run in front of your crosshairs, Pedestrians don't get out of the way of your tank, n00b won't get out of the way, a bit larger blast than you intended, etc.), but it caused problems when it scaled.

I know as Special Assault and Tank Driver characters, I never racked up an extraordinary amount of grief points, despite occasionally interrupting "duels" in the middle of the road on my way to a combat zone in a Vanguard (And causing the audience to lock their weapons against my shield), or lighting up an entire hallway.

I think managing grief added an interesting, personal tactical choice because I was concerned about my team's performance. Team-killing weakened my own survival. On the other hand, when there are far more enemies than friendlies in a tight area, Rocklet's away.

Situational awareness goes both ways: If you run in front of the guys with the long-range, large-Fire-cone guns, you're gonna get shot. If you're in the middle of an ideal AoE spot, you're gonna get blown up. Give the guy with the Dragon right-of-way. He'll be dead soon enough.
Old 2011-09-16, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Just to point something out...

Question: Friendly fire?
TRay: Current stance is Friendly fire On**

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-09-16, 10:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
Crator
Major General

^^^ Ya, now the question becomes, "How are you planning on implementing FF in PS2?". I'm sure they are still ironing that out though...
Old 2011-09-18, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
outsider
Private

Originally Posted by Krowe View Post
Of course if they can't figure out that shooting friendlies is bad, maybe they should play Black Ops or something.
Well that's what the wider gaming community did didn't they ? played something else ? They didn't stop playing because they felt awesome, they left the game in droves because playing the game made them feel like they sucked.

If Friendly Fire wasn't a contributing factor then discussions wouldn't be ongoing on how to best implement it.

It was obvious from the time Markhov and Johary merged that PS was failing to penetrate into the gamer base and while it had so many Epic elements there were also glaring issues that was making people not want to continue paying a sub.

I'm coming at this from the grand mayhem that occurred everyday, where even really good players would kill friendlies by mistake because there was just such a high concentration of people in tight spaces. Friendly Fire was inevitable and came with the territory of base def/assault mechanics when so many people were in tight spaces.

The game I want to go back to is the big scale combat, not some piddly 50vs50vs30, and friendly fire in its present inception will turn off players. Not because of weapon lock but because its so rage/frustrating to be killed by your side as well.

And yes if people don't like it, they will leave ... again!
Old 2011-09-19, 03:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
Brusi
Contributor
Major

This is a good point...

There are loads of casual players who prefer to play FPS games on easy mode, and that is exactly what the difference between playing on a server with FF-OFF vs FF-ON resembles.

fuck i'm sick of speculating... let me into beta already!!

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-09-19, 10:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
JonJonPoPong
Private

I don't think the devs have even played planetside.
The people who have played planetside KNOW and are 90% FOR friendly fire, so WTF are these devs debating?
Old 2011-09-19, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by JonJonPoPong View Post
WTF are these devs debating?
I think they're debating on whether or not today's gamers are too retarded to let them hurt friendlies. :P
Old 2011-09-19, 03:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Raymac
Brigadier General

The people who have played planetside KNOW and are 90% FOR friendly fire, so WTF are these devs debating?
Hey Trolly McTroll, Friendly Fire in currently in PS2. As for what the devs are debating, everything is a work in progress which means they are looking at everything considering how early in the development it is.

tl;dr Chill

Old 2011-09-19, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Die hard PS1 fan players will make up X% of their player base. Froo-froo dingle-berry-brains players will make up Y% of their player base. I strongly suspect that X will be less than Y. How much less? Dunno.

Which option will net them the most players ergo the most money, both in the short and long term.

SOE is a business. Their business is Making Games.

CoD hardcore mode is a LOT of fun. For me. Many disagree, as the server populations showed Back In The Day. As such, characters in the vast majority of shooters can take more than a shot or two to the torso before they die.

FF:Off appeals to less hardcore gamers (unlike you and I). I find the idea of PS2 shipping that way to be... distasteful. OTOH, I'm not flying into a Nerd Rage and proclaiming this to be the Doom of PS2.
Old 2011-09-19, 03:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
FF:Off appeals to less hardcore gamers (unlike you and I). I find the idea of PS2 shipping that way to be... distasteful. OTOH, I'm not flying into a Nerd Rage and proclaiming this to be the Doom of PS2.
You didn't hear? They change it to FF: On!
Old 2011-09-19, 04:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
You didn't hear? They change it to FF: On!
That can change in minutes, though!
Old 2011-09-19, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Crator
Major General

Never said it couldn't.
Old 2011-09-19, 05:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Whoknowswhat1
Corporal

Misc Info

As much as i love Friendly fire in planetside 1, the kill time was very long (longer than 15 seconds) while the kill time in Planetside 2 is said to be much shorter. so i will have to wait and see how it plays out in beta, but as of now, i am leaning towards no FF. (BEFORE YOU PANIC READ BELOW)

How many times have you been facing someone 1v1 only to get the person down to 1% health and someone team kills the person (either accidentally or on purpose) leaving u nothing but low health, ammo, and no EXP?

People are bad at shooting whether its server issues, lag, or just bad aiming/ mouse controls. Why should they be punished because of [insert reasons stated above] and Planetside does nothing to help besides giving them a lock and saying "if u shoot friendlies you will not be able to play"

F2P aspect. This is still relatively unknown. Reports as of this post are that you will have to buy the game one [1] time and have it for the rest of your life. This doesnt bother me, but as with most, if not all, MMO's there will be a trial, or completely free aspect (PS Reserves). THE POINT: it is very easy to create a SOE account, easier to create a character, and even easier to team kill people when they are not expecting it. some may argue that one person will not change a battle of hundreds, but multiple people can, just so friends and/or team members can win on another empire. (DISCLAIMER: this is subject to a COMPLETELY FREE TO PLAY aspect. Please disregard if there is no COMPLETELY FREE TO PLAY aspect in planetside 2)

on a side note: i really do hope there is FF, but unless they get their grief system working, it wont happen anytime soon. and you cant just add in friendly fire 2-3 months down the road, that would completely change warfare. if they want to implement it later on, they should create a new server with FF on, and have free transfers onto that server.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion