Major items from Twitter - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where your PS dreams get shot down by others...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-30, 01:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #91
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Major items from Twitter

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post
It required more thought to use than any of the other weapons. You have to be more mindful of your teamates and there positioning and what it was they were doing than if you were using any other weapon type. And You still had to account for lead etc... I don't see how it was any easier than the other weapons?

It's not like a single thumper or rocklet rifle could hold back an onslaught.
Because it has a massive AOE and grief wasn't an issue in PS1 unless you aimed for teammates.
Old 2011-10-30, 01:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #92
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Because it has a massive AOE and grief wasn't an issue in PS1 unless you aimed for teammates.
Did you use Special Assault? Pretty sure a bad SA user would get grief locked in just a few minutes or he would have to quit using the SA. And it's AoE can be toned down. That shouldn't be an issue in PS2 considering it's a different game. SA is not inherently OP.
Old 2011-10-30, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #93
CutterJohn
Colonel

Or you can just make them proper indirect fire weapons with a reasonable arming distance so they are not very useful in cramped indoor positions, the only spots they could be possibly be considered overpowered.

The rocklet rifle would be ideal as an anti sniper weapon, placing timed charges over a snipers head like those new 20mm airburst rounds. It would also serve nicely as a light AA weapon carried by infantry.

The thumper would be a good medium range weapon to take on people behind cover and machine gun nests and the like.

Both can be designed so that they simply will not explode within X meters, nor do they need to be able to bounce around corners, which would make them weapons ill suited for indoor combat.
Old 2011-10-30, 01:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Or you can just make them proper indirect fire weapons with a reasonable arming distance so they are not very useful in cramped indoor positions, the only spots they could be possibly be considered overpowered.

The rocklet rifle would be ideal as an anti sniper weapon, placing timed charges over a snipers head like those new 20mm airburst rounds. It would also serve nicely as a light AA weapon carried by infantry.

The thumper would be a good medium range weapon to take on people behind cover and machine gun nests and the like.

Both can be designed so that they simply will not explode within X meters, nor do they need to be able to bounce around corners, which would make them weapons ill suited for indoor combat.
The sniper rifle serves as a fine Anti sniper weapon too. The point of SA is suppression. Not perform the function of another weapon with a different look. The thumper already does the example you gave in it's current form.

The point of the Rocket Rifle to force enemies to fall back if they are hiding near a corner and you use a rocket rifle they had to retreat or they would die.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2011-10-30 at 01:55 AM.
Old 2011-10-30, 02:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
CutterJohn
Colonel

The sniper rifle serves as a fine Anti sniper weapon too. The point of SA is suppression. Not perform the function of another weapon with a different look. The thumper already does the example you gave in it's current form.
A weapon should not be its own best counter, and certainly not its only viable counter. The thumper was pretty weak, and was balanced to not be crazy OP inside.
Old 2011-10-30, 02:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

A weapon should not be its own best counter, and certainly not its only viable counter. The thumper was pretty weak, and was balanced to not be crazy OP inside.
Then what's the problem with it being in PS in a similar fashion it's in PS1?
Old 2011-10-30, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
CutterJohn
Colonel

Thumper was an annoying spam weapon and led to a lot of stalemates in stairs. I'd prefer a stronger weapon, with more limited ammo, that was of limited use indoors. Use them like they are used in real life.
Old 2011-10-30, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Thumper was an annoying spam weapon and led to a lot of stalemates in stairs. I'd prefer a stronger weapon, with more limited ammo, that was of limited use indoors. Use them like they are used in real life.
In all honesty I don't mind if they change the Thumper but I would rather the Rocket Rifle remain the same. It was a very useful gun and I don't feel it was OP in anyway.
Old 2011-10-30, 02:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #99
CutterJohn
Colonel

In all honesty I don't mind if they change the Thumper but I would rather the Rocket Rifle remain the same. It was a very useful gun and I don't feel it was OP in anyway.
Perhaps. I just love the concept of the XM25 air burst grenade launcher, and would like to see something similar in the game. There was the scorpion, of course, but that had... Issues. The rocklet seems like it would fit that role perfectly.
Old 2011-10-30, 07:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #100
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
We used to have two seperate classes for what you guys would call "Heavy Assault" and "Special Assault", at a certain point we came to the conclusion that they fit under the same umbrella in Planetside 2 and we merged the classes. That's not to say our heavy assault class will have all that you're thinking of, he can be outfitted to fill those unique battlefield roles.
So a Heavy Assault will be able to equip either an MCG only, or AV+Cycler, or SA+Cycler? I want me a launcher, shotgun and pistol, and don't care if they're slung on my hips/back when I'm not using them.

Also, I'm assuming that only Heavy Assaults will be able to carry AV weapons due to their weight and bulkiness (meaning powered armor is required, from a lore perspective), but will I be able to somehow customize my armor to reduce protection and increase mobility?

Last edited by FIREk; 2011-10-30 at 07:32 AM.
Old 2011-10-30, 07:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #101
Tikuto
Major

Driver's
I suspect we're going to see a driver's outfit but what would that be named?
  • Autoist?
  • Automobilist?
  • Leadfoot?
  • Operator?

Lancer tracking?
Also, I'd like Lancer to have an additional H.U.D. layer that tracks your target for you. TR and NC have forms of tracking on their AV weapons (PS1) yet VS's AV weapon doesn't, and so this idea really ought to be thought-out for the Lancer.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2011-10-30 at 07:50 AM.
Old 2011-10-30, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #102
TRex
First Sergeant

I don't mind special assault , back in early planetside it was a choice to cert av or sa. In a squad we might have had 1 , at most 2 with special assault . It was a niche cert and useful in certain situation . The ones useing it were skillful .

Then a few things changed that , firstly they increased rexo armour value , then increased the number of decimators needed to kill a max . Maxes proliferated , and more people wore rexo . Surgile was gone. We had core combat and the maelstrom.

Along with it and especially after they increased br to 23 , it became the bane of all base assaults , especially on Werner. I left to go play on Emerald, there they kill inert objects like generators constantly , but it was a choice. Have noone to fight , or stand in green laggy spam forever. Tough choice.

Hopefully it will go back to its niche speciality with new game , but just on the off-chance I think I'll skip werner this time and go straight to Emerald this time.
Old 2011-10-30, 08:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
How are you getting these tweets?
2 Reasons:
1. Tweetdeck, its awesome.
2. Basti, im awesome.

Questions?
Old 2011-10-30, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #104
Graywolves
General

I WANT TR MAX SCREENSHOTS AND 3D TURNAROUND!? Y IT NO IN 3D TURNAROUND!? GIMME THE MAX! RAWRARWARWARAWRAWRAWRR!
Old 2011-10-30, 09:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #105
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I WANT TR MAX SCREENSHOTS AND 3D TURNAROUND!? Y IT NO IN 3D TURNAROUND!? GIMME THE MAX! RAWRARWARWARAWRAWRAWRR!
You can have a MAX turnaround the moment I get something, anything new related to the VS.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion