Sim City - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: We will miss you Oshur!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2013-03-18, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Crator
Major General

Re: Sim City

Originally Posted by Assist View Post
So, what free game to choose ?
Any thoughts on what is the best game on Origin ?
They are only offering specific games for the free game: https://help.ea.com/article/simcity-something-extra

Which games are available?
  • Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Bejeweled 3
  • Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
  • MOHW (Standard Edition)
  • NFS Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
Old 2013-03-18, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
krnasaur
First Lieutenant

no dragon age? damn. I really wanted to play that one
Old 2013-03-18, 05:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #93
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Crator View Post
They are only offering specific games for the free game: https://help.ea.com/article/simcity-something-extra

Which games are available?
  • Battlefield 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Bejeweled 3
  • Dead Space 3 (Standard Edition)
  • Mass Effect 3 (Standard Edition)
  • MOHW (Standard Edition)
  • NFS Most Wanted (Standard Edition)
  • Plants vs. Zombies
  • SimCity 4 Deluxe Edition
HERE, OUR CURRENT GAME SUCKS AND WE FUCKED UP, HAVE THE PREVIOUS VERSION ON US!

But if you want to fuck their wallet as much as you can, deadspace 3 is still $40 bucks or so.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-03-18, 06:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #94
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
HERE, OUR CURRENT GAME SUCKS AND WE FUCKED UP, HAVE THE PREVIOUS VERSION ON US!

But if you want to fuck their wallet as much as you can, deadspace 3 is still $40 bucks or so.
But you really aren't hurting their wallet. It's not a tangible object and I'm sure the game has paid for itself already from a costs to produce perspective. So yeah, some profit loss but it's not like they are throwing money out the door literally.
Old 2013-03-18, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #95
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

If it's a message one wants to send EA, then perhaps choosing SimCity 4 would be a better choice. Not that I think they would get any such message, even if all those given the free game chose SimCity 4.

Edit: EA's CEO, John Riccitiello, has also stepped down earlier this month. Here's hoping that it will usher in a change in their overall strategy.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielny...own-as-ea-ceo/

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.

Last edited by ChipMHazard; 2013-03-26 at 05:24 AM.
Old 2013-03-30, 09:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
Crator
Major General

EA: "DRM is a failed dead-end strategy" EA Labels president Frank Gibeau responds to "conspiracy theories" about SimCity and puts his foot down when it comes to DRM

It's a MMO guys!

No, SimCity is Not an MMO ~forbes.com

SimCity is Not an MMO ~EA Forums

Last edited by Crator; 2013-03-30 at 09:22 AM.
Old 2013-03-30, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

I agree with Mr. Thier. Sure the game has multiplayer elements but there's nothing in the game that you cannot do on your own by simply having your own region for yourself, at which point it becomes an online singleplayer game.
There's nothing to indicate that you interacting with other players is a requirement, heck modern FPS's are more MMO like than SimCity.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-03-30, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
Hamma
PSU Admin

I haven't touched this since before MLG.

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-03-30, 03:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I agree with Mr. Thier. Sure the game has multiplayer elements but there's nothing in the game that you cannot do on your own by simply having your own region for yourself, at which point it becomes an online singleplayer game.
There's nothing to indicate that you interacting with other players is a requirement, heck modern FPS's are more MMO like than SimCity.
How can a game be MMO-like. It's not a genre, it's a game type. So you have single player, multiplayer (LAN & online), or you have massive-multiplayer online.

For instance, is BF3 a MMO? It's played online, has leader boards and a lobby to select servers to play with players around the world. What's different from BF3 and SimCity in that regard?

I define MMO as a massive amount of players either in the same persistent world or participating in the same game play as the rest of the players in some fashion. Max players in one region doesn't constitute massive imo. Perhaps EA/Maxis planned to have those type of features, but I'm not seeing them.

Last edited by Crator; 2013-03-30 at 03:15 PM.
Old 2013-03-30, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

How can a game be MMO-like. It's not a genre, it's a game type. So you have single player, multiplayer (LAN & online), or you have massive-multiplayer online.

For instance, is BF3 a MMO? It's played online, has leader boards and a lobby to select servers to play with players around the world. What's different from BF3 and SimCity in that regard?

I define MMO as a massive amount of players either in the same persistent world or participating in the same game play as the rest of the players in some fashion. Max players in one region doesn't constitute massive imo. Perhaps EA/Maxis planned to have those type of features, but I'm not seeing them.
BF3 is as much of an MMO as Arma3 is. Neither are. It pisses me off that EA likes to dumb down every single term and buzzword they can find without actually using it properly.

/rage

Glad I didn't pay for this version of sim city.

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-03-30, 11:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

It obviously can't, barrring trying to further define what the term Massive Multiplayer Online means. SimCity is a strange one, as Forbes points out, it's a game that requires you to always play online, yet it doesn't require you to play with other players at all. Not playing with others is actually more advantageous as you recieve the same bonuses from just running your own region. Plus you always design a city on your own. There's nothing, besides wanting a strict DRM, that warranted having to always be online.

Old 2013-04-01, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Assist
Contributor
Major

I made a city yesterday morning, before relatives showed up for Easter, and allowed it to run all day(~10 hrs). The city had a few utilities, and maybe 1/5th of the map was residential. I walked away with 1400 residents, and nearly every major utility(hospital, big fire/police stations). When I came back I was well in the red for electric, waste disposal, sewage, water, but I did have 115,000 residents and 2.8 million monies!

Logged out and kind of lost hope with the game then :\ Wish they'd fix the dumbshit that makes that stuff possible.
Old 2013-04-02, 09:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #103
Hamma
PSU Admin

Interesting experiment

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2013-04-18, 01:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Crator
Major General

So EA is shutting down SimCity Social. I didn't know much about it. It's a web based Facebook game that people were able to spend real money in to get perks. So those who did spend money on the game, and enjoy it, loose everything they bought? WTH? Makes me concerned for any F2P online based game now, even PS2. What happens when SOE decides to shut down the PS2 servers? Everyone looses what they bought? Just doesn't seem right.

http://forum.playfish.com/showthread.php?t=2968221

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9451413.page
Old 2013-04-18, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Well, yes. That's what happens when any online only game shuts down its servers. Not much to do about that since there's no offline content.
People should just be a lot more stingy when it comes to what F2Ps they spend money on.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > General Gaming Discussion