News: Resolved - PS2 Region - Page 73 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of: Original Chainsaw Knife.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-15, 11:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #1081
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Re: PlanetSide 2 Region Lock (SOE is working on Resolution)

Originally Posted by DarkTower View Post
(Once again, apologies if this is a noob question)
Don't know if Brollywood or one of the other dev team, or even a forum member can help, but does this affect whether we'll be able to get into the beta? I know that it was only the US PC Gamer that got beta codes, not the UK, so would it be fair to assume that there won't be beta servers in the EU? Will the beta be region-locked in the same way as something like Netflix is, so even using the American SOE and servers won't let me into the beta?

The main reason I ask is that I live in a big city with super-fast (Virgin Media) broadband, so my ping to (East Coast) American servers in other games is not too bad, usually around 160, so about the same sort of ping as someone in the US with poor internet connection might have (who F2P MMOs should be catering for). In other words, my internet connection shouldn't be a factor in joining the beta, so are there any other reasons for (potentially) blocking me from the beta?
If you have signed up for Beta or are a former PS1 player there should be no issue with you participating at some point. It will almost certainly be on the US server.
Old 2012-05-15, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #1082
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
If you have signed up for Beta or are a former PS1 player there should be no issue with you participating at some point. It will almost certainly be on the US server.
Ah rats....the "at some point" message. Hey ho. I had a GF like that once.
*gets the blues and pines quietly in the corner*
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-15, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #1083
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by Mechzz View Post
Ah rats....the "at some point" message. Hey ho. I had a GF like that once.
*gets the blues and pines quietly in the corner*
The "at some point" applies to everyone. We are going to let in as many folks as we can to test but it'll be done in waves. Everyone won't get in at the same time.
Old 2012-05-15, 12:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #1084
Shogun
Contributor
General

thanks for the clarifications, brolly and radar!

@ darktower: brollywood works for pro7sat1, the company that will host planetside in europe.
radar x works for soe, the original devs of ps2. so those two are the guys who might really know things

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-05-15, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1085
Mechzz
Major

The "at some point" applies to everyone. We are going to let in as many folks as we can to test but it'll be done in waves. Everyone won't get in at the same time.
Thanks Radar. Just me being paranoid and assuming us Euros won't get in until after the US. I know you didn't say that wasn't the case, but I'm going to chill now and have a beer and not worry about it (too) much
Old 2012-05-15, 01:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #1086
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by WildVS View Post
OMG the whining will be resounding beyond belief when some form of beta starts and everyone isn't in all at once and through the duration of the entire test.
Nobody will know who's in because everyone will be under NDA
Old 2012-05-15, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #1087
Ailos
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure we're going to find out when closed beta starts one way or another, and then once that date has passed, you're either in or you're not. It's not exactly rocket science.

Interior Crocodile Aviator
IronFist After Dark
Old 2012-05-15, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #1088
Kran De Loy
Captain

OMG the whining will be resounding beyond belief when some form of beta starts and everyone isn't in all at once and through the duration of the entire test. I don't envy you RadarX trying to keep the community happy during that time but hey, that's why you get paid the big bucks!
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Yeah.
Old 2012-05-15, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #1089
Kran De Loy
Captain

NDA... haha, good one. Way too many beta keys handed out via PCGamer. Beta for PS2 will be worst kept secret in the history of MMO's
But it will limit the amount of bitching about people not getting in that first few days, maybe just maybe as much as a week. If there is anything the NDA is good for it'll be that at least.

Personally I'm more worried (though I'm in the USA) about the original theme of this thread. If PSS1 drops the ball or not and how badly it cracks if it does.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-05-15 at 02:33 PM.
Old 2012-05-15, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #1090
Shogun
Contributor
General

the main concerns have been adressed.

as we are promised to be able to play on all servers we like.
it also has been confirmed that we can transfer station cash to our pro7 accounts and that the servers will still be run by soe.

some other concerns are still up, but brolly just said that there will be an announcement soon, and our remaining concerns are being adressed. so let´s sit back and wait what they have worked out for us. we will see if pro7 can ease our minds or if they revive this thread for another thousand posts of raining fire

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-05-15, 05:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1091
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Brollywood View Post
Personally I'm really excited to be working as part of such an awesome project and can't wait to see you all in-game. As long as you're Vanu :-p

Great, a barney.

As if I needed another proof that we're all screwed.

Joking, of course. Or maybe not.

Thanks for the answer anyway, it's appreciated, even though I wanna see what you guys have to offer before being satisfied by a "we're doing our best, you'll have news soon".

Because you should know very well that not a lot of gamers believe "details shortly" really means "details shortly"
Old 2012-05-15, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #1092
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
the main concerns have been adressed.

as we are promised to be able to play on all servers we like.
it also has been confirmed that we can transfer station cash to our pro7 accounts and that the servers will still be run by soe.

some other concerns are still up, but brolly just said that there will be an announcement soon, and our remaining concerns are being adressed. so let´s sit back and wait what they have worked out for us. we will see if pro7 can ease our minds or if they revive this thread for another thousand posts of raining fire
Agreed. I just meant "If they drop the ball" as a generality. Sort of like how someone said that something about the EQ community getting bitchy(er) about dwindling volume of communication with PSS1 reps. Stuff like that isn't anything to worry about in itself, but it still acts like a bank of looming clouds that eerily spell out 'foreshadowing'.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-05-15 at 11:03 PM.
Old 2012-05-16, 10:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #1093
DarkTower
Private

That's good to know, hoped it would work like that!

This might be a(nother) stupid question because it's so far off and hasn't been decided/set up, but how will the transition between the SOE and pro7sat1 (?) actually work? I can see it working in 1 of 2 ways: either we keep our account on the US server and that stays there after beta like all the other non-EU accounts, or we get migrated to the European company/system whatever with our Station Cash/XP refunded/reset (so we've still got everything we earned, just not spent on anything). Lastly, if accounts do get migrated, will we get a choice over moving to the European servers?

On a completely unrelated note , do any Europeans know how to get hold of US PC Gamer magazines for the beta codes? I think I've seen a post/thread somewhere about buying the mag from an American site and getting it shipped over, but I can't seem to find it
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-16, 10:53 AM   [Ignore Me] #1094
RadarX
PlanetSide 2
Community Manager

Originally Posted by DarkTower View Post
That's good to know, hoped it would work like that!

This might be a(nother) stupid question because it's so far off and hasn't been decided/set up, but how will the transition between the SOE and pro7sat1 (?) actually work? I can see it working in 1 of 2 ways: either we keep our account on the US server and that stays there after beta like all the other non-EU accounts, or we get migrated to the European company/system whatever with our Station Cash/XP refunded/reset (so we've still got everything we earned, just not spent on anything). Lastly, if accounts do get migrated, will we get a choice over moving to the European servers?

On a completely unrelated note , do any Europeans know how to get hold of US PC Gamer magazines for the beta codes? I think I've seen a post/thread somewhere about buying the mag from an American site and getting it shipped over, but I can't seem to find it
We'll be publishing more information in the near future about the transition. One of our products, DC Universe Online, is about to make the switch and you'll be able to see how it works. In short, you will have a ProSieben.Sat.1 account. PS2 will launch in the EU with our partners over there so there will be no live game transition.
Old 2012-05-16, 04:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #1095
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

PS2 will launch in the EU with our partners over there so there will be no live game transition.
Not even for our vet accounts that get into beta? So we can keep our character names that we have had for the past 9 years

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.

Last edited by Mastachief; 2012-05-16 at 04:35 PM.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion