News: New Esamir Bases - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Run hes got a Jammer Grenade!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-29, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
Carbon Copied
First Sergeant

Re: New Esamir Bases

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
well lets face it, Major Facilities need an overhaul period; There is so much shoved into them that just has no use because it's only there for ambiance, while the building itself is mostly just a large shed with a Control Point in it.

I mean, think about a Bio Labs legs and underside...
There is all this fancy looking gribbling, but it doesn't really DO anything!
Why aren't the insides of those Legs hollow walkways so they can be used to get up and down from the dome?
The Dome could then have a basement level underneath it that would double the available play space, taking the Base Design philosophy of the Original Planetside and INVERTING it!
Yeah I'm with you on this - I think there's room for alot of options. My take on level design is that it should reflect the continent it's on and make sense; taking bio labs as an example: on Esamir they are sub terranean due to the climate being sub zero at an elevated height (think the Svalbard seed vault - http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...7&postcount=10 ), on Indar they are elevated per the norm as the climate allows but like you say the leg space is actually contested levels and on Amerish with it being more highland they're built into the mountain sides themselves with the levels being replaced with sporadic cavern fighting. It's variations like this that although using the same prefab assets (and not hogging resources), but also pull away from that cookie cutter continent prefab feel. Well for me at least..

Away from the aesthetics though it gives a fresher feel of having to attack the same POI base but using potentially different tactics than how you took it on another continent adding more depth and variety.
Old 2013-05-29, 04:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Carbon Copied View Post
Yeah I'm with you on this - I think there's room for alot of options. My take on level design is that it should reflect the continent it's on and make sense; taking bio labs as an example: on Esamir they are sub terranean due to the climate being sub zero at an elevated height (think the Svalbard seed vault - http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...7&postcount=10 ), on Indar they are elevated per the norm as the climate allows but like you say the leg space is actually contested levels and on Amerish with it being more highland they're built into the mountain sides themselves with the levels being replaced with sporadic cavern fighting. It's variations like this that although using the same prefab assets (and not hogging resources), but also pull away from that cookie cutter continent prefab feel. Well for me at least..

Away from the aesthetics though it gives a fresher feel of having to attack the same POI base but using potentially different tactics than how you took it on another continent adding more depth and variety.
With Bio dome in particular there are engine and performance issues with what is being suggested. Figgy spoke on this and the devs have responded in that vein.

But, I agree that the Tech/Amp and now Bio are poor and this last patch has broken the Bio imho. The Bio was the only base which was difficult and required organised tactics to take it. The Amp is just a rush around doin stuff base, boring as hell.
Old 2013-05-29, 05:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by Carbon Copied View Post
Eh, that's seems like it's be a lot of customization work...
I just want the Bases to be more then giant sheds.

For instance, only half of the Amp Station really sees use, because the other half was mostly designed to funnel in Combatants from the ROOF down to the Control Point.
Then you have that dead space underneath the Vehicle Bay Stairs...

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
But, I agree that the Tech/Amp and now Bio are poor and this last patch has broken the Bio imho. The Bio was the only base which was difficult and required organised tactics to take it. The Amp is just a rush around doin stuff base, boring as hell.
Yeah, doesn't help that all of them were pretty much built around the idea of Galaxy Drops and Gal AMS being the primary means of taking them...
Old 2013-05-29, 07:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
Livefire
Staff Sergeant

Re: FNO Esamir Changes

Originally Posted by Raymondo View Post
1 hour 18 min mark it starts
http://www.twitch.tv/planetside2/b/407830628

SOE finally seem to get it!! we been asking for actual defensible bases like this for ages now
New more defensible base designs and anti vehicle layouts YES! HUGE walls surrounding bases YES! Base shields that prevent aircraft or tanks shelling bases NO!! And if we have to deal with this at all it better be 100 percent player controlled like base wall and garage shields are now meaning attackers can destroy or override a gen which causes the shield to go down and allows there ground assault to be supported by there aircraft then. Permanent Base shields that just magically stop all projectiles and practically removes aircraft and tank fighting in and around bases is a game breaking mechanic.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion