Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2 - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Will this balance patch also affect the forums?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you want boarding/exit animations?
Yes, I would like to see them kept. 351 80.14%
No, I think they should go. 18 4.11%
Don't care either way. 69 15.75%
Voters: 438. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-07-19, 10:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
DreaM
Private

Re: Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2

It seems like they're trying to push Planetside 2 out quite quickly. They've said quite a few times they want to release the game with a solid core and then develop on it more afterwards.
Old 2011-07-20, 12:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
HELLFISH88
First Sergeant

I agree that the vehicle animation's added too the atmosphere and should be kept. It's a very unique feature for a FPS.
Old 2011-07-20, 01:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

Immersion is huge in any game you spend hours playing. Not having these animations takes away the whole badass factor in my opinion. Walking up to a huge tank and clicking 'G' and now you can instantly fire.. sigh, way too Battlefield'ish.

Think of how many times you have been killed trying to get out or get inside of a vehicle, that time spent getting in was needed for not only immersion but for game balance.

Just think if some guy is repairing his Vanguard and you start shooting him, its going to give you FAR less time before he gets in and starts shooting your ass again, plus you can hide at ANY part of the vehicle and press 'G' and go in, no more going to specific spots and loading in.. just lame.

Old 2011-07-20, 01:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
Bags
Lieutenant General

I've never been killed trying to get in or out of a vehicle because you can't be shot during the animation.
Old 2011-07-20, 04:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #110
Volw
First Sergeant

I love how everyone assumes if there are no animations it will be battlefield style, click anywhere and shoot instantly....

Any proof to back up those theories other than 'if there is no animations, it's not planetside!'?
All that matters is that there is enough freedom, and enough fuckers to kill, in the game that Renegade Legion can do our thing. If there is that, then the rest of the game shall be bent to our will, just like the first one was. - Hovis [RL] on PS2

Renegade Legion
http://forums.renegade-legion.org
Old 2011-07-20, 07:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #111
Hamma
PSU Admin

Nobody has any..

PlanetSide Universe - Administrator / Site Owner - Contact @ PSU
Hamma Time - Evil Ranting Admin - DragonWolves - Commanding Officer
Old 2011-07-20, 11:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Volw View Post
I love how everyone assumes if there are no animations it will be battlefield style, click anywhere and shoot instantly....

Any proof to back up those theories other than 'if there is no animations, it's not planetside!'?
Welp, your assuming the opposite no?

Any proof that it won't be this way?
Old 2011-07-21, 08:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by CViolet View Post
Haven't read this whole thread, but for me, the ideal solution would be this. Interiors of all the vehicles should be detailed to the point where you could enter a hatch without leaving first person view, walk to a station, and press a key to sit down. Solves the porting issue, and keeps you immersed in the first person perspective. There's really no reason why they couldn't do this.

Would also add some interesting gameplay possibilities. Imagine a Galaxy pilot leaves a hatch open too long, and a cloaker sneaks aboard and hides in a corner until the ship is in rout to the front. Right as the pilot is about to open his rear door and drop his compliment of troops, the cloaker shoots him in the head and bales out the nearest hatch leaving the gal to crash and burn ala that scene with the dropship in Aliens.
I know there's no way we're getting this in PS2, but I think I want it now. Because I keep seeing that gal tumbling through the sky, passengers bailing out to survive the crash, and it's completely epic.
Old 2011-07-22, 03:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Well I'm a bit late to the party with in this thread but I 100% agree with the immersion factor and that the boarding animations added really atmosphere to the game.

This feature was very unique to Planetside and is one of those 'polish' items that added up to the whole package.

Yes, the sky wouldn't fall without them but it would be a major loss in terms of the finished product.

Like most have said, one of the critical factors here is the delay with entering/exiting the vehicle preventing a BC2 hop in/hop out to repair sort of situation.

However, I have a cunning plan....

Use a Core Combat Switchblade style 'warp in' and 'warp out' animation

If budget is the constraint, why not use a generic core-combat switchblade 'warp in' and 'warp out' effect for all vehicles

By doing this, only a single animation needs to be used to and directed to the outer hull of the vehicle. No hatch animations or additional textures are required.

Sadly I couldn't find an image of the Switchblade animation anywhere to show what I mean but think of the Twins in Matrix Reloaded 'ghosting' into a moving car for an idea of what I mean.

This animation could then be timed depending on the boarding / alighting delay you wanted to have (for reference the alighting animation would be a reverse of the boarding animation, saving additional time).

Some supporting game lore

From: Chief Engineer Officer, Samuel Smith, Vanu Sovereignty
To: All vehicle divisions
Subject: Vanu warp technology for vehicle embarkation and dismounting
Date: 98.1481/c
Thought of the day: Technology equals might!

As you know, our beloved Vanu brethren have given us so much hope for the advancement of the human race through vastly superior technology to our own when we arrived on Auraxis.

Over the years we have created crude but effective replications of their hover technology such as the Magrider Main Battle Tank (see pattern 4x18c) and the Thresher Light Assault vehicle (see pattern 2x24b).

However, until recently, we have been using legacy hatches and entry ports on our vehicles which has seriously hampered the overall durability and hull strength of our vehicles over time.

A break-through has been made after examining pure, perfect ancient technology examples from the Vanu such as the Switchblade, Router and Flail (see data entry here) and seeing how crystal technology allows the occupant to physically 'enter' and 'exit' the vehicle through a solid surface.

By implanting this crystal technology into our existing vehicles, this has allowed us to create incredibly rigid new designs. Examples include being able to forge a complete hull in a mold as one 'piece' without the need for any hatches, ports or other points of weakness.

Once within the proximity of crystal-equipped vehicles, soldiers can interface with the crystal inside using the built-in IFF identification and 'warp inside' the vehicle without the need to open any door or hatch. Exiting the vehicle is done using the reverse of the above process.

The downside is that this procedure takes several seconds to complete the and is not instant.

There have also been sporadic reports of soldiers feeling nauseous after the warping process is complete, however, I have been assured by our medics that this is temporary and will pass after a few minutes.

Prototype vehicles have already been deployed to the battlefield and initial tests have proven successful thus-far.

Unfortunately it is with bitter regret that I have to report the theft of at least one of these vehicles to the wretched Terran Republic and just last week a rumor that another was captured to an unknown source (survivors claim a massive impact came from a yellow/blue vehicle pointing towards New Conglomerate intervention).

It can only be assumed, therefore, that our enemies will now also wield the ability to use crystal-enhanced vehicles as well so we must be vigilant on the battlefield.

For further information regarding crystal-vehicle technology, please refer to codex 8/22457.

Good luck solider - may the power of the Vanu strengthen you always.

Samuel Smith
Chief Engineering Officer
Vanu Sovereignty

Last edited by TerminatorUK; 2011-07-22 at 03:53 AM. Reason: typo
Old 2011-07-30, 01:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
CutterJohn
Colonel

Question Re: Boarding and Exiting animations in Planetside 2

Since the other thread was closed

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml
If they find that their resources are limitied. I honest to God would offer myself in a contract agreement that paid 1 dollar a day to FULLY create and script / program this into their engine... Bug Free... within 2 months... for every vehicle.................................. I shit you not.
So you'd learn their engine, add in the programming to support this feature, do 40-60 custom character animations(double that if they don't reuse male animations for females), redo the vehicle meshes and textures(and add interiors for when the door opens), and the associated animations, all to the quality expected of a AAA game, all in 2 months?

You have a robust skill set. Amazing that you are willing to work for a dollar a day.

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml
I have described in many examples on how it is important to gameplay personally, minus his opinions.
If there is an enemy that is at the brink of death and insta-boards a vehicle? Bad Ju Ju
How many times has this happened to you? Its rare enough to be a non issue in the battlefield games, and they don't have worries about hacking and vehicle ownership.

This sniper I am firing on is getting waylayed on and about to die, and a two seater plane flies by and he presses Jump-E or Jump-Enter into the vehicle to espcape? Damnit, Bad JU JU
Are you serious?

If there are any vehicles that promote healing, I could see that heavily abused.
What does this even mean.

an entire platoon could be picked up on the FLY within 5 seconds with 3 consecutive gals diving in and flying low.
If they can, they deserve to. That would take lots of practice.

Its interesting that because there are no boarding animations you assume:

1. That they will be instant
2. That you can board while the vehicle is in motion
3. And flying
4. That infantry will fly out with guns instantly at the ready.

There are more solutions to those issues you listed than just animations. Hell, if you went and removed ONLY the animations, only one of those issues might even be an issue in planetside, because there were more restrictions on boarding a vehicle other than just animations.

-The vehicle must be stopped or landed.
-You had to go to the load point
-You had to unequip/equip weapons as you entered/exited.

Animations are nice eye candy, and nothing more.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-07-30 at 08:12 AM.
Old 2011-07-30, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
Vancha
Colonel

Yeah, we need to separate the boarding delay with the boarding animation. Boarding animations are not a gameplay benefit, the boarding delay is the gameplay benefit. Boarding animations are just the glitter.
Old 2011-07-30, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
Tatwi
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Not a deal breaker but a nice touch that sets planetside above some other games.
Absolutely!

Being an EQ and Star Wars Galaxies player, I've known about Planetside since it launched, but never tried it until this year. When I did and I saw the animations I was like, "whoah! why don't all games have that when Planetside could do it back in 2003!" It really adds a lot to the feeling of the game and also from a gameplay perspective, the slight delay in doing things makes it more tactical.
Old 2011-07-30, 12:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Sovereign
Staff Sergeant

Don't think this is a case of both this is a zero sum affair you can't be for boarding animations while supporting instantaneous entry in any vehicle.

As long as these animations can be executed fluently that guarantees flawless use across the board to players then there shouldn't be an issue..
Old 2011-09-01, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Cerus
Private

Faster != better, all it does is create an averaging effect on performance. In a faster environment luck plays a bigger role and pushes your chance of success in any given engagement towards a percentage that continues to motivate you, regardless of skill.

In a "slow" FPS, the top players leveraging their ability through the duration of an engagement will see the results of their effort as a successful aggregate. This keeps them interested, but lower tier players quickly become bored of the pacing* and their failures and leave.

In a "fast" FPS, the top players will tend towards success via the same aggregation as above, played out on a different scale. Random luck ("I got a headshot!...What does that mean?") then plays a larger role on the small end, pushing up the kill ratio of lower tier players, keeping them interested.

If a developer is touting their gameplay as becoming "faster", they're not pushing an improvement, they're just being cynical.

That's not to say that fast pacing is always bad, it's just that whenever you decrease the amount of time it takes to do a thing, you're increasing the effect that luck has on the average Joe's chance of success, and one of the primary reasons for doing that is to put a ceiling on how effective a skilled player can be.

So yeah, vehicle enter/exit delay please, animations if it's convenient.

*30 minutes of carefully executed strategy that ends in success is unforgettably awesome, 30 minutes of confused failure in the face of a carefully executed strategy is unforgivably boring.

Last edited by Cerus; 2011-09-01 at 12:07 PM.
Old 2011-09-02, 02:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
Logit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
A note to higby and andy. Please view this poll.
It's still SOE bro. The birth mother to BFR's.

All the Poll's in the world aren't going to give them more money to implement something we all apparently want.

The consensus seems to me that it's not a deal breaker, but we all think it should definitely be in. To the common person such an overwhelming poll would lead you to believe that they would take a second look at this.

But they won't.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion