ProSiebenSat.1 - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Could be worse
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-15, 11:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
Superbus
Private

Re: ProSiebenSat.1

Originally Posted by Eyeklops View Post
LOL..I'm sure you won't go anywhere near that free game.. haha.
Yeah they won't get any cash from me if I can't play with friends. Pretty simple concept right?

Even if it is free I wont be playing very long or that often if I can't play with the same guys I have been playing with for nearly a decade. F2P doesn't mean shit If I can't play with my friends.

Sc2 is a perfect example can't play with my friends so we just stopped playing it, and went back to HW and Sup Com instead.

It wasn't a knock against the DEVs or the game me and my friends are really looking forward to it. We've been trying to find a game to take us away from EVE; but if we can't play together or their accounts are some how hindered its going to be hard to justify a game switch.

Last edited by Superbus; 2012-07-15 at 11:21 PM.
Old 2012-07-16, 02:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
Zation
Private

I am confused. There is alot of info in this thread with regards to how the "no region locking" is gonna work, is any of it officiel or is it just ppl geussing?

Will we be able to access all servers from one account or will we need to two accounts if we dont want region locking? Can EU players keep their SoE account and play from that?

If we need two accounts, what about currency on thise accounts? will it be shared?, will we need to purchase everything twice if we want to change server region?

Would be really nice if we could have a statement from SoE clearifying how all this is gonna work, having all this speculation is good for noone.
Old 2012-07-16, 03:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
Canaris
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Zation View Post
I am confused. There is alot of info in this thread with regards to how the "no region locking" is gonna work, is any of it official or is it just ppl guessing?

Will we be able to access all servers from one account or will we need to two accounts if we dont want region locking? Can EU players keep their SoE account and play from that?

If we need two accounts, what about currency on these accounts? will it be shared?, will we need to purchase everything twice if we want to change server region?

Would be really nice if we could have a statement from SoE clarifying how all this is gonna work, having all this speculation is good for no one.
I think it was Smed (not 100% sure) who said any Station cash can be ported over to your Pro7 account when they become active so no Eurosiders loose out on money they've already spent on Station $

No real information has been provided over the accounts and servers we simply don't know if Pro7 players can access the NA servers or vice versa or will we have to use an SOE account instead. I hope they do the decent thing and make it the former so it's all integrated.

I for one don't mind having to set up and use a Pro7 account and I'm not really worried about it since meeting and talking with some of them, they've been extremely decent and diligent in clearing up lots of the misgivings and general falsehoods about the company.

They don't seem another GOA, which is a good thing.

"Don't matter who did what to who at this point. Fact is, we went to war, and now there ain't no going back. I mean shit, it's what war is, you know? Once you in it, you in it! If it's a lie, then we fight on that lie. But we gotta fight. "
Slim Charles aka Tallman - The Wire
BRTD Mumble Server powered by Gamercomms
Old 2012-07-16, 03:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
sunzen
Private

From the info thats been provided so far we need a Pro7 account to play on the eu servers. (Hence eu-SOE accounts will get transferred to pro7) Now this raises the question if the game profile data is shared between the two regions. (This may have been answered in the other long thread, didnt look it up)

If not, in my opinion this is the same as a region lock, but doesnt count as such because its free-to-play which means you dont buy another client just register a "new" client. In this case it just doesnt look like a region lock.
If the data is shared why could they not just let people use the SOE account ? because of the Pro7 platform shop ?

Again this may have been answered I didnt look it up in the other thread.
Old 2012-07-16, 03:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #110
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

It's a typical corporate-level made decision. Suits only look at pro7 and see they're a multi-billion media conglomerate and assume that they must be a good choice simply because of that. Disregarding the fact they don't know jack about video games and only run video games nobody but my 8 year old nephew would play.
Old 2012-07-16, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #111
Zation
Private

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post
I think it was Smed (not 100% sure) who said any Station cash can be ported over to your Pro7 account when they become active so no Eurosiders loose out on money they've already spent on Station $
Yea, this have been stated i belive, and aslong as its somewhere near a 1:1 then, thats fine.

However, what i am concerned is that, if there is no interaction between accounts (your own) then you would need to buy (station/pro7 cash) on each account and you would need to buy everything twice. Thats pretty much the same as region locking the game imo. Who would willingly pay twice for the same product?
Old 2012-07-16, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
Sabot
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Canaris View Post

No real information has been provided over the accounts and servers we simply don't know if Pro7 players can access the NA servers or vice versa or will we have to use an SOE account instead. I hope they do the decent thing and make it the former so it's all integrated.

I for one don't mind having to set up and use a Pro7 account and I'm not really worried about it since meeting and talking with some of them, they've been extremely decent and diligent in clearing up lots of the misgivings and general falsehoods about the company.

They don't seem another GOA, which is a good thing.
I don't see the point of Pro7 if we indeed can access EU servers through our SOE accounts... It would of course be preferable for us, sure, but I think the whole point of them is that if you want to play on the EU servers, you use their service.

And I realize that my previous post might seem like I'm not willing to give Pro7 a chance... but like someone else said here, I too think we should give them the benefit of the doubt for now, and at least give them a chance. So I'm not on some witch hunt here... and if what you say is true I'm inclined to believe that just as much as I believe the all bad stuff. However... my concerns are real issues, and I think everybody agrees that it needs to be handled in such a fashion that we, the players, don't feel like we have to make a gamble. 'Cause if it does, and things doesn't work out... believe me, a witch hunt is exactly what they're going to have from really pissed off people.
Old 2012-07-16, 04:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
Zation
Private

Originally Posted by DjEclipse View Post
No one paying twice in a F2P. SOE and P7 just have their own stores.
More than one McDonald's exist in the world. Simply for convenience.

I will play on P7 with an alt, if all is good, I'll buy a Big Mac there too.
So to continue your analogy, lets say you buy a Big Mac and sits down to eat, for whatever reason you deside you would rather sit closer to the window, would you then pay for the same burger again just to switch sits? well i wouldent :P
Old 2012-07-16, 04:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Well this is second or third big post about this and we still don't have a clear answer which is worrying. I'm in the UK and never heard of this Company. All iv heard is the stuff on here which is not good. I took a look at their web site and I wasn't impressed for what is supposed to be a big company. Lots of posts on their forums where left unanswered by what seems to be a non existant moderator team.
As alot of you have said I will try it and see. If it is not good then I shall leave them and just deal with SOE and if needed move all my friends to NA servers if we can't roam from NA to EU.
Someone from SOE needs to make a detailed post about the EU side of things cus ATM no answer is doing more damage then little bits here and there which don't really answer anything but more dodge round the questions being asked.
Old 2012-07-16, 04:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
Princess Frosty
Corporal

I'm a systems administrator and developer in the UK and what really gets me is that it's obvious there are several different systems here that are going to be run side by side, but not only does that treat customers differently and introduce unnecessary complexity, it also doesn't make sense from a design point of view either.

Ideally you need to have 1 master auth server that deals with player authentication ONLY, that can be in the US for all players because latency when authenticating doesn't matter. Just have one large database of players for all regions, so each player has just 1 account, 1 user name, 1 password, 1 set of station cash. If you need to determine which location the player is in you just have 1 field in the database that lists the country they registered from.

There's no excuse for separating out the accounts for different regions, if you want to outsource the hosting of actual game servers to 3rd party business then that's fine, but keep the auth server in house and give them an API with which to auth users over. If auth latency is really ever an issue then just replicate the DB servers to different regions.

This has "extremely bad design" written all over it and it's just one of those things that will no doubt end up taking an extraordinary amount of coordination and hacks/fixes/workarounds to get this running as smoothly as games expect, I foresee future issues and quite frankly it puts me off actually spending real cash on virtual items.

I've been burned by this before, Mythic Outsource Warhammer Online for the Europeans to some horrid french company GOA I think, and we got burned with a botched beta launch and later with some severe billing issues. The US customers didn't have any of these issues because they dealt with Mythic directly.

PC game fix database - http://www.pcgamingstandards.com
Old 2012-07-16, 05:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
Bananiel
Private

Is this company also going to do the ingame monitoring for stat padding/cheating? I'm afraid if they have no experience with videogames, except for some shitty ones that they didn't monitor well, there will probably either be a lack of ingame moderators, or they are trained monkeys that don't see the difference between a cheater and a good player.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
Joe
Corporal

Misc Info

This is silly we need a statement telling everyone what is going on all this speculation is not good, even if its bad news we want to know keeping the news from us is not good.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #118
SealedSun
Contributor
Private

Angry Re: ProSiebenSat.1

Pro7 have some pretty disgusting money making schemes running on their channels. 90% of the content they produce themselves, is outright garbage. But that's OK, since I don't have to watch Pro7.

The thought of paying Pro7 (instead of SOE) for PS2, however, makes me really uncomfortable. I don't want to give Pro7 my personal data, I don't want to give Pro7 my credit card info and I certainly don't want to help them be profitable. I simply don't trust Pro7 as a business entity.

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
They are a media company who is diversifying in games ...
You do realize that this statement is not inspiring much confidence, right?

And no, I don't care about localization. I certainly hope that the client won't "helpfully decide" that I prefer a shoddy German translation to the original version (like EA did with NfS Shift 2 ) or, worse, insist that all of Switzerland is actually speaking French (Microsoft seems to believe that ).

That is of course just my opinion/situation and, from a business standpoint, it absolutely makes sense to try to reach people, who are not comfortable with an English client/server.
Old 2012-07-16, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #119
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by SealedSun View Post
And no, I don't care about localization. I certainly hope that the client won't "helpfully decide" that I prefer a shoddy German translation to the original version
Oh fuck yeah, lol
Old 2012-07-16, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #120
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Another thought. If my SOE account is moved to pro7 will my SOE account no longer exist or will it just be duplicated?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion