*** PlanetSide 2 Ultimate Beta FAQ *** - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Follow the white rabbit
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2012-06-09, 03:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
alphalegend
Private

Re: *** PlanetSide 2 Ultimate Beta FAQ ***

Originally Posted by LuckyThirteen View Post
Wow, that's extremely disappointing, and kind of stupid.

"Hey guys, I'm actively following your game and have shown my interest by finding the right link, and voluntarily signing up for your beta!"

"That's great! Unfortunately you probably wont get in anyway (even though we gave you the option to sign up) because we have to let all of the people who played our first game in first (even if they only pretended to!) Sorry, fan-service you know, kk bye!"

I mean come on. Just because you played the first game (or again, just pretended to.) doesn't make you a better beta tester. (In fact I would argue that it can make you a worse beta tester)

Sorry but, is it wrong that this pisses me off?
why do you think they put beta keys in all of the PC gamer mags for that one issue....and why do you think they're giving out over a thousand keys on FB and twitter?

this is the priority pool - PS1 vets, PC gamer keys, and facebook/twitter keys
Old 2012-06-09, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
LuckyThirteen
Private

Originally Posted by alphalegend View Post
why do you think they put beta keys in all of the PC gamer mags for that one issue....and why do you think they're giving out over a thousand keys on FB and twitter?

this is the priority pool - PS1 vets, PC gamer keys, and facebook/twitter keys
Well sorry if I feel like Ive been taunted, but:

I don't have a facebook or a twitter account.

I don't subscribe to any gaming magazines because I can get all I need to know off of the internet.

Im just mostly annoyed by the "Hey! sign up for the beta!" Only to be later told: "Buuut, probably not."
Old 2012-06-09, 04:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
MrTinkles
Private

"Hey guys, I'm actively following your game and have shown my interest by finding the right link, and voluntarily signing up for your beta!"

"That's great! Unfortunately you probably wont get in anyway (even though we gave you the option to sign up) because we have to let all of the people who played our first game in first (even if they only pretended to!) Sorry, fan-service you know, kk bye!"

I mean come on. Just because you played the first game (or again, just pretended to.) doesn't make you a better beta tester. (In fact I would argue that it can make you a worse beta tester)

Err...what do you mean "pretended to" ....the vet status comes via SOE account...you can't "pretend". You either played or you didn't and that's shown on your account.

And I just don't get your logic as if signing up on the web page makes you more "deserving" of a go at the beta...you say that PS1 players are worse beta testers...of course that's not the dumbest thing I've ever heard (this IS the internet after all...) but it's on the list...

How would you suggest they decide who are the "best" beta testers? By filling in a form where you can describe your gaming rig and list how many other games you tested...if ever there was an opportunity for "pretending" it's that.

Frankly it's up to them how they choose who to let in, when and in what numbers...they don't "have to" let in anyone... After all, it's a beta ffs...no one has any "right" to access the beta.

You need to chill...you might get in, you might not. You might be in from the beginning, you might only get in for the last weekend...
Old 2012-06-09, 04:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Greeniegriz
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Misc Info

"Buuut, probably not."
Exactly. Just because you sign-up for Beta doesn't mean you are guaranteed in. Every game I have Beta tested I got in some other way. Yes, I did sign-up for those Betas, but since I knew there was no guarantee I did everything I could to get in.

Cheers,

GG

PSU Folding Team - Join Today!
Don't follow me on Twitter
Old 2012-06-09, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
bjorntju1
Captain

Wtf are you talking about? ''Pretend to''? lol? You can't pretend to have played PlanetSide 1. It's on your account that you played the game. And the fact that we are the first people to get let in has been known even before PlanetSide 2 was announced. Hell, even before the first screenshot of Planetside next was released. And I and most PS1 vets here have been following the game since the first screenshot was released. And there is nothing wrong with fan service. After all those people spend hunderds of dollars on the game. And know more of it than someone who didn't play the game.

Im just mostly annoyed by the "Hey! sign up for the beta!" Only to be later told: "Buuut, probably not''
Nowhere is said that you would get guaranteed access?

Last edited by bjorntju1; 2012-06-09 at 04:24 PM.
Old 2012-06-09, 04:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
james
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Zar View Post
i doubt all the pc gamer keys will get in. i doubt any of the medium in which the keys are going out will get everyone in on the first wave vets *rough guess* is around 50,000 if people take the keys and depending how they view *vet* for ps1 pc gamer sold ALOT of copy's way more then 50,000 and twitter well i think they are the last to get in least i hope no offense to the twitter guys just don't think posting a pic of a cat and getting key makes you more qualified to beta test a game when there are people who played its big brother for 9 years >.< imo at least.
But then playing the previous game 9 years ago doesn't make you any more qualified to the beta. Gaming has changed a ton in a decade. Well some of the stuff may be the same, i would expect this to be very different over ps1. Really if the pc gamer keys aren't in PS2 is going to start in a pr nightmare. If they have any doubt in there mind they couldn't do a closed beta with as many keys they sent out that is a fail on their part.
Old 2012-06-10, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #112
I SandRock
Sergeant Major

Planetside 2 exists cause of PS1 vets.
Planetside 1 vets have been sitting waiting and wishing for Planetside 2 since before you were born. Just because there wasn't a PS2 beta option link yet at the time doesn't mean we werent waiting for it..
Planetside 1 vets know what made PS1 special, different and what worked and didn't work so well.

Show some respect rookie!
Old 2012-06-10, 03:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #113
Greenthy
Sergeant

I wouldn't expect all the PS1 players from 9 years ago to opt in the beta rly
9 years is alot to age, many move on from gaming or play something else and don't care about PS.

I myself installed PS1, payed for 3 months but it was unplayable and stopped.
Opt in beta as soon as I found out with a new acc, and just recently regained my old SOE acc.

I don't feel like I derserve beta any more than anybody else. But in the same sense I don't feel like ppl that buy magazine Y or have a subscription on site X have more right either.
The world is unfair, and one has to please somebody. I'm just glad I might be on the receiving side for once
Old 2012-06-10, 08:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #114
Ironside
Corporal

Originally Posted by james View Post
But then playing the previous game 9 years ago doesn't make you any more qualified to the beta. Gaming has changed a ton in a decade. Well some of the stuff may be the same, i would expect this to be very different over ps1. Really if the pc gamer keys aren't in PS2 is going to start in a pr nightmare. If they have any doubt in there mind they couldn't do a closed beta with as many keys they sent out that is a fail on their part.
why should someone who has never heard of ps1 and only heard of ps2 since e3 but managed to get a key from twitter/facebook get in beta before us "bittervets" as some like to call us?

We've been waiting for this game for a very long time, whilst ps2 isnt a true clone of ps1, there's a lot of elements in from the original, we've experienced the best and the worst from the original, there's a lot of experience knocking about these forums, the devs would be crazy not to use it, oh and just because we stopped playing ps1 at some point doesnt mean we stopped gaming altogher and have no clue about modern fps/mmo's.

The vets so far have been a great influence and font of knowledge for the devs and that's before we even get in the game.
And the dev's know this
Old 2012-06-10, 09:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #115
ElectroEsper
Private

I would not worry if I was one of those vets. They said that you'll get a keys because fo your status. I mean, lots of vet got there key on twitter earlier same as the common folks like me (I've draw for the sake of it) who only hear about the game since a few years.

Everything will come in place nice'n easy, just be patient. The dev havent forget you Im sure.

I would not enjoy this beta as much if no vet were to teach me around

Last edited by ElectroEsper; 2012-06-10 at 09:51 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #116
Khagan Impi
Private

Both sides have equally logical grievances and concerns regarding the beta. On the one hand, those arguing in favor of more beta keys for those who didn't play beta keys have a valuable point: Introducing new blood into the game is an important way to 'spread the word and get a far larger player-base. I know that the only reason I found out about this game was one of my PS1 vet friends showing me the link to the site. Fell in love with it. Bringing in a large amount of new beta testers, quite to the contrary of some Veterans, will not have the outcome of a huge amount of 'uninterested' players. There are a number of players who are quite dedicated to what we have seen so far and can't wait to play the game regardless of what happened in Planetside one.

On the other hand, those arguing for first Veteran access and Veteran favoritism make equally valuable points. Who is better to bring in to test your second rendition of the game than those who played the first? Not to mention the veterans that are signing up are likely fairly dedicated to the game. The sort of passion I've seen from them, whether in about complaining about the various aspects of Planetside 2 or lauding them, shows the amount of hard work and time the Veterans put into the first game.

Though it may seem at first glance to be simple cynicism, these concerns are actually the product of an immense love for the first game and a wish for the second to be just as well.

Thus, it is obvious that there is no right answer to this problem. I feel in many ways the Planetside 2 developers have already solved some of the problems by giving out beta keys out through so many mediums(my only qualm being the underhanded way that some of the Facebook and Twitter keys were acquired, that is with coding).

Though I have no solid numbers for it, rest assured that there will be many new faces fighting alongside the old vets of Planetside, and that we shall both enjoy it heartily. For those who have not lucked out in terms of beta keys, there are options for you. Patience, observing videos from your friends. Who knows if the Planetside 2 team will even stop giving beta keys once it starts?

Right now, our job is to make sure that what we've seen so far in the game is to our liking, and once the beta starts, to find out if everything is in tip-top shape. Do you want your friends to get in with you? Keep on the lookout for key giveaways everywhere.
Old 2012-06-10, 11:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #117
Landtank
Second Lieutenant

People who get keys off of twitter and facebook should in NO WAY whatsoever get priority access to the Beta over people who actively volunteered back when the planetside 2 website first came online.

I tweeted for five days, and got no key, but I signed up for Beta way back in December.

I don't care if it wasn't guaranteed, I understand that, but I don't like the fact that people who started caring about the game during the second day of E3 get keys over people who have wanted to play this game since July of 2011, when it was announced.

I shared my PS1 account with my older brother, so even though I'm a vet, that key is going to him since it was his account.

Last edited by Landtank; 2012-06-10 at 11:11 AM.
Old 2012-06-10, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
duck
Sergeant

As previously stated, PS1 vets should definitely get first dibs. They stuck through the development of PS1 and know the game in-and-out and arguably would provide the best feedback to devs. People who get beta keys from E3/facebook/twitter should obviously get last priority because they are the ones who just started to get hyped up.

I also feel disappointed at the devs for just handing out beta keys like candy when most of them won't get in due to server limitations, and those players who thought they had a good chance of getting in since they had a key will be upset.

I honestly think the beta registration/key giveaway was a way for SOE to gauge how much interest there is in this game, not for getting beta testers for feedback.
Old 2012-06-10, 12:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Bazilx
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by duck View Post
People who get beta keys from E3/facebook/twitter should obviously get last priority because they are the ones who just started to get hyped up.
I'm a PS1 vet who forgot his actual account and could only get the account he had the trial on and thus I don't technically qualify, I live in Sweden and can't get the magazine key which basically leaves me twitter keys since I don't use facebook.

I wanted PS2 to come out before it was cool.
Old 2012-06-10, 12:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Khagan Impi View Post
Both sides have equally logical grievances and concerns regarding the beta. On the one hand, those arguing in favor of more beta keys for those who didn't play beta keys have a valuable point: Introducing new blood into the game is an important way to 'spread the word and get a far larger player-base. I know that the only reason I found out about this game was one of my PS1 vet friends showing me the link to the site. Fell in love with it. Bringing in a large amount of new beta testers, quite to the contrary of some Veterans, will not have the outcome of a huge amount of 'uninterested' players. There are a number of players who are quite dedicated to what we have seen so far and can't wait to play the game regardless of what happened in Planetside one.

On the other hand, those arguing for first Veteran access and Veteran favoritism make equally valuable points. Who is better to bring in to test your second rendition of the game than those who played the first? Not to mention the veterans that are signing up are likely fairly dedicated to the game. The sort of passion I've seen from them, whether in about complaining about the various aspects of Planetside 2 or lauding them, shows the amount of hard work and time the Veterans put into the first game.

Though it may seem at first glance to be simple cynicism, these concerns are actually the product of an immense love for the first game and a wish for the second to be just as well.

Thus, it is obvious that there is no right answer to this problem. I feel in many ways the Planetside 2 developers have already solved some of the problems by giving out beta keys out through so many mediums(my only qualm being the underhanded way that some of the Facebook and Twitter keys were acquired, that is with coding).

Though I have no solid numbers for it, rest assured that there will be many new faces fighting alongside the old vets of Planetside, and that we shall both enjoy it heartily. For those who have not lucked out in terms of beta keys, there are options for you. Patience, observing videos from your friends. Who knows if the Planetside 2 team will even stop giving beta keys once it starts?

Right now, our job is to make sure that what we've seen so far in the game is to our liking, and once the beta starts, to find out if everything is in tip-top shape. Do you want your friends to get in with you? Keep on the lookout for key giveaways everywhere.
Honestly I just want people who will test, not people will play. Wish there was a way for them to find that out.