Male or Female? - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't let the priest touch you on your way out
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Will you play as a male or a female?
Male 277 70.48%
Female 49 12.47%
Both 67 17.05%
Voters: 393. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-07-06, 07:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #106
ITOS
Corporal

Re: Male or Female?

I'll probably make a female main character if the voice acting is good enough. I don't identify myself with my character so I might as well mix things up a bit.

Originally Posted by Forsaken One View Post
I'd much rather they have just scraped females like most war games do and spent that time and effort on entering and exiting animations imo.
I disagree with your opinion that female models are a waste of time for the devs. This game is going to get most of it's income from cosmetic customizations. Being able to choose gender is an important part of making the character you want.
Old 2012-07-06, 07:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #107
bcraft
Private

As many have said, my main will be male character but my alts are fair game for either gender.
Old 2012-07-06, 08:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #108
Nefarion
Private

Male or female?
Screw you, Oak!!!
Old 2012-07-06, 09:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #109
Dropshockmedic
Private

• Female

Because im male and like to watch my female character.
Thats not a lie but I really think there is an additional reason that is reasonable in PvP.
Females got a thinner build, they are technically seen harder to spot.
With passive camos on the stuff you use or the Infiltrators active camo.

I guess the Hitbox will be the same seize to prevent unbalance but still I think its very good that female polygons are available so that you really get the feeling you are fighting "a mankind" here and not just stupid fictional factions that consist out of men only.
Old 2012-07-06, 09:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #110
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Note that there is no TPV for infantry this go round.

Old 2012-07-06, 09:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #111
Katalliaan
Private

Just comparing the concept art for the female models to the male ones, I'd say that there's very little difference between their builds. If the women are thinner, it's not enough to make a difference.

As far as Planetside 2 goes, there doesn't look to be an advantage of playing one gender over the other, since they're probably the same height and look to be nearly the same proportions. Additionally, since you're locked to a first-person view (unless you're in a vehicle, but most of those obscure your character anyway), you'll never see yourself.
Old 2012-07-06, 03:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
Slide Surveyor
Corporal

Originally Posted by Nefarion View Post
Male or female?
Screw you, Oak!!!
I see what you did there
Old 2012-07-06, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
Russ
Corporal

Im a male, i go male. I dont need some pixel ass to look at. Not to mention its an FPS (think about it).
Old 2012-07-06, 04:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I voted male instead of both, because I'll probably only focus on one character in PS2 for the most part. I had several alts in PS1, and a few of them were female just for variety, but I don't see doing that as much in PS2 due to how certs now work. I may still have an alt or two on other servers and one of them may be a female, but it's not a plan at this point.

I don't really have much of a reason why I play as a male rather than a female other than that I'm a guy and it just seems like the natural default choice. It is amusing the amount of butthurt that happens over peoples characters gender choices. Always amusing to see people who feel the need to justify playing as a female or people who think a guy playing as anything other than a male is wrong.
Old 2012-07-06, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Male because of immersion.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-07-06, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
QuantumMechanic
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

I voted male, because 99% of the time I play male characters. Although in PS1 I do have an alt char who is female because I love the voice macros she does:

(ditz blonde voice)
GREETS!
Right on target!
Old 2012-07-06, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
pablofiasco
Private

Male here,
tend to play either, depending on the mood
Old 2012-07-06, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Ratstomper
Major

Originally Posted by GreatMazinkaise View Post
It becomes a problem when a female player makes a request for female toons that don't look like lingerie models and is subsequently shouted down by the devs who deliberately miss the point (Blizzard, recently). Female toons should not be manufactured to satisfy the male sexual fantasy in MMOs, and women should not have to choose male toons just to be taken seriously. The art team for PS2 is taking the high road for this game, thankfully.
I agree. Although, I've know some women who played MMOs that specifically chose characters because they're sexy. I mean, no one wants to play a dumpy or plain looking character. There has to be a way to make female models look good without specifically catering to male fantasies.

Honestly the female "toons" feel like a waste of art, resources, time, and effort from the devs atm.

"tasteful" female toons since they all wear armor anyway should just be a unimodel. Take the males model, stick a females head on it.

Its highly retarded to make a whole new model, just so you can place a super bulky chest piece thing on it so it kinda looks like a butch female thing.

I'd much rather they have just scraped females like most war games do and spent that time and effort on entering and exiting animations imo.
I think this is going a bit too far. There should be SOME difference between male and female characters, because that's realistic. I'm not sure if just cutting all female models out of games as a "waste of time" is more or less insulting to women than making overly sexualized characters. Both would be catering to the male fanbase.

I think unisex models would just be pretty boring.
Old 2012-07-06, 06:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
Forsaken One
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
I'm not sure if just cutting all female models out of games as a "waste of time" is more or less insulting to women than making overly sexualized characters. Both would be catering to the male fanbase.
This is how I view the whole bs insulting issue.

Originally Posted by Ratstomper View Post
I think unisex models would just be pretty boring.
unisex=no one can bullshit, feminists can't say jack. Saves time, resources and effort as well.

As for customization they can still sell whatever they want to add to a char.
Old 2012-07-06, 06:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

What I read: the classic bullshit "double standard" defense of misogyny
It's not an issue so easily dismissed. We had male/female toons before and it suited just fine.

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion